Intel HD 4600 or ATI 4770

Piernik

Prince
At first - I don't play games - the only game I want to play is Civ 6.

I've got desktop with integrated Intel HD 4600. I also have old ATI 4770 (which I can put into my case) but ATI has only 512 MB RAM.

Will I be able to run the game? Which card should I use?
Or am I forced to buy new card (which I don't want to)

I've got i5-4690 3,50GHz CPU and 8GB Ram

Last edited:
ATI 4770 won't cut it and HD 4600 will be playable in strategic view. If you want to play this buy a new or used graphics card. Depends how much you want to spend, I would suggest a used or new graphics card from either NVidia or AMD.

Unfortunately, that old ATI card won't quite cut the mustard. The minimum spec is a 4870, which is greater performance than your 4770 card provides.

As to the built-in video from your i5, the HD 4000 series was intel's first decent CPU-based 3D capable video system, but it is still not quite fast enough to be playable either. In your case, the Intel HD 4600 is roughly equivalent to Nvidia's GT 720.

Both of your options will likely let you start the game itself, but performance issues will bog you down before too long. Even having the minimum spec will likely produce slowdowns in the later stages in the game when it is rendering more visible textures on the screen. There are some other threads in this forum that discuss GPU hierarchies, and they should help you pick a decent card for a system upgrade if you choose to get one.

Good luck!

Top Bottom