Into the future!

ScottMcPwn

Huscarl
As the BNW expansion is directed towards the late game and has added this new "XCOM Squad" why not expand the range of the game completely? :scan:
The whole "Future Tech" thing is extremely abrupt and is quite boring to be frank, why not get interesting like Empire Earth did?
It came up with new ages e.g. Digital Era, Synthetic Era, Nano Era etc.
Why does Civ V not do this? It would greatly enhance the game and make it more interesting, adding many new systems like space colonisation. Moon colonisation is required at the very least and maybe even going on to Mars and if you want to be nostalgic, Alpha Centauri?
If the futuristic side of the game isn't improved in this expansion, I would really love a new expansion which did enhance it as this would complete the game for me.
Please post ideas below.

Because there should not even be a Future Tech in a historical-based strategy game, let alone anything on your list. There are a lot of sci-fi games out there, if that's your thing, so why ruin the base Civilization game with such stuff?

A DLC could be used to add an optional future era scenario and civs. However, I don't want the future added to the base game. Although, I love science fiction, civ is just not that kind of game to me, nor should it be built that way. To me civ is and always will be a historically based game. It keeps me interested in history and always has. That is the one true thing I love about the game.

The game is ment to be won around the present day (at least tech wise). So if you add stuff after the victorys are given out, it makes not too much sense.

Sure one coulöd argue thatvictorys could be delayed, but that agin would force people to use that scifi stuff and would hurt the overall realism level.

I dont really see how you can argue that the game is completely historical as you are doing.
George Washington being in a fight against Darius? That isn't historical in the slightest.
Giant Death Robots and now an XCOM Squad isn't historical either.
And even if you did not want to go to the future, there is most likely going to be the option to end at a certain era, theres actually mods out right now which do that very thing.
And anyway, Moon colonisation as I have said is a needed addition as one of Man's greatest achivements is landing men on the moon and very soon it is planned for bases to be constructed on the moon.

I dont really see how you can argue that the game is completely historical as you are doing.
George Washington being in a fight against Darius? That isn't historical in the slightest.
And even if you did not want to go to the future, there is most likely going to be the option to end at a certain era, theres actually mods out right now which do that very thing.
And anyway, Moon colonisation as I have said is a needed addition as one of Man's greatest achivements is landing men on the moon and very soon it is planned for bases to be constructed on the moon.

I agree. And don't forget about sea colonisation and space stations.

It's revisionist History. A what if? not a historical account of events. The only thing that should be as accurate as possible is the tech tree. This is why I do not believe that there should by future techs. the further you go out the more speculative it becomes. You start messing with he one element of the game that is historically accurate.

Well Moon colonisation at the very least would be appreciated, we have put many people on the moon and many space organisations plan to land the people and supplies required to construct a moon base which will eventually grow into colonies/cities over time. Most of these organisations have 2020 in mind and thats only 7 years away, it isn't exactly Sci-Fi is it?
Getting to the Moon would allow the mining of Helium-3 which could be used for a huge amount of things.

I would hardly say "we've put many people on the moon." Twelve men have landed on the moon, the most recent being 1972. By 2030 even, there will not be any significant moon colonization. It would be akin to Antarctica, being only for research. It seems silly to 'build a city' on the moon, as it'll be decades before anything beyond a small group of scientists develops.

The game already often ends before the Giant Death Robot shows up. No point in having a whole new era as a result, unless they alter victory conditions (would require a lot of work).

There's some merit to this idea. I have often thought the same - and let me emphasize, I HATE SCIENCE FICTION GAMING. I hate space-focused gaming.

But Civilization is more than just a history strategy game. It has included Steampunk, Magic, Alpha Centauri, and Post-Apocalyptic scenarios throughout its history. So I believe this suggestion fits in PERFECTLY with the Civilization franchise as it has already been played out.

I think there's a lite way to do this, and an immersive way.

The lite way is either scenario-based or technology tree based. Push out "Future Tech" and add a few more reasonable techs that actually are going to exist over the next 50 years in the real world. Avoid having actual maps of non-Earth destinations, but incorporate trade, resource-harvesting, and events that require launches/landings from spaceports. Civs would compete on Earth in the modern era by using space techs and space economics that mostly don't require much new artwork. It wouldn't be much more radical than Religion or Espionage were.

The immersive way to do this would be to build a scenario for this that adds maps for the Moon, Mars, and/or Alpha Centauri and travel between these and Earth is possible. New techs would be added, and new gameplay mechanics for rotating between maintaining cities on Earth and colonies off-Earth, but much of the gameplay could be preserved.

I think there's a legitimate argument for doing what Scott is proposing. It shouldn't be dismissed too hastily.

Whoah I just made a topic from this Ed Beach quote:
Now that the game has dealt with both its early and late-game content, though, I wondered what was left to tackle. When is Civilization 5 complete? "I don't think we're out of ideas," Beech said, tight-lipped.

Personally I doubt we get like a full future era, and I'd bet fans would want expansion on the old eras instead. There's still stuff that could fit nicely into the game..
Medieval: some sort of Apostolic palace / Papal state / Holy emperor thing
Industrial: colonies, civil wars
Modern: pollution, corporations

I actually think the future era we have now is bland and uninteresting, not to mention that most of techs I only grab for science or diplo victories.

Maybe instead of expanding the future era, they can make it a little more relevant. Hell, I don't think I've even used stealth bombers of giant death robots more than once. Games are usually over before the future era makes a difference anyway.

I'm all for future eras. I think an expansion that includes future eras should also include mechanics to choose and balance your starting and ending eras.

A further direction for DLC could be big, complex scenarios. Then they could add a future scenario, that allows you to play the whole game first. Would people buy such, though? I don't know.

Top Bottom