Is it just me, or has anyone else found ...

berserks01

Obviously Very Confused
that after a couple of games of Civ4, and you tried a game in Civ3 you find it's graphics lacking?

I've played a couple of game of Civ4, and was at my in-law's house where I had previously installed Civ3. Since I can't get my hands on Civ4 there, I tried playing some Civ3 to while away the time, but found that after a couple of minutes I just gave up. I'm not saying I don't like it anymore, just saying that I'm finding the graphics lacking so much that I decided to quit.

Weird.

It's still a great game, despite its graphical lacking...
But I'm going to have to agree; I got a headache after experiencing 2D Civ3 after 250+ hours of Civ IV.

I also take note of this as well.

I tried Civ III the other day (I gave my copy to a co-worker since he likes TBS games.) I installed it and showed him how to play it, but I could not get the feel for it like I used to. He loved it, but my taste for it has waned a bit.

Same thing happened when I would play Heroes of Might and Magic IV and tried to play HOMM 2. I struggled.

I must admit that I haven't touched Civ3 since Civ4 came out. I didn't even finish the Civ3 game I started while I waited for Civ4 to arrive. :)

I can't say much about the graphics, but what would keep me from starting a new Civ3 game is gameplay. I'd certainly miss the religions and the civics. Also, I never liked the necessity to rush settlers in Civ3 to stop the AI's expansion. That always felt artificial to me. In Civ4, the first steps of a newly founded civilization seem so much more natural. :)

I will still find Civ 3 as entertaining as ever until there is an equavilent amount of mods and scenarios for Civ 4. The mods and scenarios of C3C are really excellent and I could live with them and do without Civ 4

I don't play civ for the gfx. I've played some CivIII since getting CIV, and if anything I perceive the CivIII gfx as more user-friendly - it's easier to take in things at a glance. Of course, this may simply be due to greater familiarity.

i am the other way around- i am really struggleing to get my head around 3d!

slozenger said:
i am the other way around- i am really struggleing to get my head around 3d!

Ditto. I find it much harder to interpret units on the map than I did with Civ3. It's much more "busy" than in Civ3. Though, in the same breath, I will also say that it sure is a whole lot more realistic than civ3. Some of the maps I have played on I just wind up touring with the mouse admiring some of the environment.

-cc

Top Bottom