[Col] Is it possible to advance Natives?

Not sure whether it was a dream, a bug, or really happened, but playing this game (original) years ago once I noticed that the look of Arawak villages changed to Inca style. The tribe's status changed too, as I recall. My guess back then was that the reason was either time progression, or massive tools trade, or both.

Have you ever experienced anything like that?

Another thing I noticed, is that advanced specialties become available in Native villages later in the game. E.g. expert blacksmiths instead of expert ore miners.

Not sure whether it was a dream, a bug, or really happened, but playing this game (original) years ago once I noticed that the look of Arawak villages changed to Inca style. The tribe's status changed too, as I recall. My guess back then was that the reason was either time progression, or massive tools trade, or both.

Have you ever experienced anything like that?
Happened to me for the first time yesterday, i was taken by suprise. the Arawak villiages were in the Aztech style for me, though i believe this to be a bug. It was very early game ~1500, they were the first indians i had encountered. Never had it happen before or since.

I ran a session once where I did constant trading with a nearby Inca town, and they eventually started offering horses and guns in trade. Never seen anything like advancement though. It's great fun to weaponize the natives surrounding the other European settlements.

In theory selling all your goods to the natives can be more profitable than Europe in the late game. Their economy never crashes and there is no tax rate. But you need a diverse economy that can offer loads of ALL the finished products. They demand a new product at random after their previous demand is filled. You will want to have a wagon nearby waiting with it.

My brother said it happened to him once, an agrarian tribe "advanced" to civilized.

We've always been intrigued and would love to find the truth behind this!

I think this is one of the many glitches, resulting from corrupting memory somehow.

arawakztec 1.png

It seems this also affects the gold yield.

arawakztec 2 loot.png

Another bug, probably memory corruption too. "Amsterdad".

wtf amsterdad.png

I have even more examples but I will stop now :p

Arawak village is now Peter :D

This savegame caused an immediate crash (Runtime Error R6003 Integer Divide By Zero) when entering the Arawak turn. Deleting a random Arawak brave seems to fix it, at least for that turn.

Indian advisor shows no names at all for any of the Arawak properties (Civ-level, status, ...)

d3rp3t3r.png

Colo is indeed a very buggy game

I know if you change the Names.txt file you can set any native nation to be of a different stage of advancement. but i never seen it happening throughout a playthough
As tristan mentioned. i have expeireinced aztecs selling horses and guns after a while of trade.

it would be really cool to find out the game is designed to allow the indians to "evolve" given some conditions. but i suspect no one has the patience to reverse engineer the code for colonisaton the same way and some people have done on the original Civ

Without having done any reverse engineering, I'm more or less certain it's just memory corruption. Seeing strange things happening at least once per playthrough has become a normal sight for me. (maybe because I know more about how the game is supposed to function now than I did some years ago) The game is sadly not very well programmed in every aspect (have you ever tried using trade routes?).

Without having done any reverse engineering, I'm more or less certain it's just memory corruption. Seeing strange things happening at least once per playthrough has become a normal sight for me. (maybe because I know more about how the

game is supposed to function now than I did some years ago) The game is sadly not very well programmed in every aspect (have you ever tried using trade routes?).

I am aware of some of the trade route bugs. But i dont use them often.
as far as "buggy games" i find col very acceptable. I mean, after playing Masters of Magic and Fallen Enchantress I guess a lot of stuff is perfectly acceptable :D

Top Bottom