Is it possible to destroy great wonder by bombard ?

zcamie

Chieftain
I have experienced that the great wonder (Knight Templar) is destroyed by my catapult in C3C(1.15b). :-( Is it changed the factor of C3C ?

I'm almost positive that this shoulnd't have happend. I've played tons of games & never seen a wonder destroyed like that. But I seem to remember a SSOTD where somone destroyed the Great Wall with a Catapult.

I think it's just a bug.

I also managed to destroy the great wall ,as well as the capitals palace with a stack of catapults once.

This happened to me cause I was lazy and didn't patch properly when I got C3C :p Here's how I fixed it:

1) Uninstall all Civ3 apps.
2) Install Vanilla civ
3) Install the Civ3 patch (1.29f)
4) Install C3C
5) Install the C3C patch of your choice (I use 1.15b)

It must be a bug. The idea is that a great wonder cannot be destroyed unless someone razes the city (or unless the foolish AI razes the city)

It's a known bug.

When you bombard a town with walls, the walls are the first thing to be destroyed. So far, so good. But when you bombard a town of the civilization that has the great wall, the walls cannot be destroyed, so something else gets destroyed instead. That 'something else' can even be a Wonder in this case.

Originally posted by alexman
It's a known bug.

When you bombard a town with walls, the walls are the first thing to be destroyed. So far, so good. But when you bombard a town of the civilization that has the great wall, the walls cannot be destroyed, so something else gets destroyed instead. That 'something else' can even be a Wonder in this case.

Thanks for explaining that. In a recent game I destroyed the Art of War by bombardment 2 turns before capturing the Great Wall. Had I known about the bug I would have captured the Wall before I attempted to capture AoW. I really wanted AoW but could care less about the Wall.

I destroyed the Oracle in a city where that Civ had the Great Wall also. A bug? Thanks for that. It has given me confidence to bommbard again.

Will they fix this? I have 1.15b

In a recent game I was playing, I was going for a Great Library capture gambit to reach tech parity, as I was way behind. While bombarding the city, I destroyed the Great Library :(

I've never gotten it before.....And I am able to bomb a size 20+ cities to a size 1-2 city in a turn with a stack of arties. Though I've read about it around here somewhere...

Originally posted by alexman
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's a known bug.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks.

In my case, The city wall is provided by The Great Wall, I have known this later by capturing another city. ^^ So The Knight Templar is selected the "ONE" else.

Yes. It's a bug!

I'm glad I found this thread, it explains a great deal. I was attacking London with trebs in order to capture the Great Lighthouse - and they destroyed the lighthouse :mad: It ruined my whole game strategy. England of course had the Great Wall. Had I known it was a bug at the time I would have played the turn over.

I had to look this up and ended up with this ancient thread.
I'm bombarding Karakorum. It has the great wall and hanging gardens. No wall graphics are there though... I wonder why because it has the great wall? I haven't invented Metallurgy yet. Have they? I save and go diplomacy - no they don't have metallurgy. So the great wall is active.
I bombard and I destroy the barracks. Okay. Good.
I bombard again and destroy the Hanging Gardens - wait what. Without walls, why am I destroying a Wonder?

Also!
Thanks for that. Learn something everyday.
You have any idea why Karakorum didn't have wall graphics, even though it had the great wall? The other cities they had had wall graphics.

Also!
Thanks for that. Learn something everyday.
You have any idea why Karakorum didn't have wall graphics, even though it had the great wall? The other cities they had had wall graphics.

Capitals have special capital graphics, and thus don't get wonder graphics. Something I always keep in mind when attacking an enemy's capital in the early game - it's often a good idea to bombard first just to be safe, or at least to have your diplomat check before declaring war if the capital is below size 7.

Surely only their towns (Pop1-6) would have had Wall-graphics? Once a town becomes a city (Pop7-12), its Wall-graphics disappear (and as Quintillus says, Pop1-6 Capitals already use the 'city-graphic' rather than the 'town-graphic').
Great Wonders can be destroyed by bombardement unless the target nation has reached the industrial age.
Isn't this simply because the target nation would have needed Metallurgy to get to the Industrial, though? i.e. the key point is the acquisition of that particular tech, not the Age the Civ has reached? So if the GWall-owning Civ has (done something unusual and) run along the lower Engineering -> MilTrad-branch first, its town-improvements would thus become bombard-safe in the mid-Medieval instead.

Conversely, if the target-Civ has run the usual Monotheism -> Astro branch first, and the Player wants to keep any improvements they've built, he should consider selling/ gifting them (up to) Metallurgy before bombarding their (Wonder-)towns...

Nice necro, by the way, Theov... 11 years -- are you going for a record? ;)

Top Bottom