Is it possible to sell my Civ V from Steam

MarkC1

Warlord
Is it possible to transfer this game to another steam user? I don't really care for it and regret the purchase but obviously steam has a strict no refund policy for whatever reason

I really want to unload my copy of Civ IV as well ( I own the complete DVD) and return to good old Civ 3, if anyone has Civ 3 and is interested in such a trade

Suddenly, the reasoning behind making this a Steam-only game makes a whole lot more sense on the devs part ...

Suddenly, the reasoning behind making this a Steam-only game makes a whole lot more sense on the devs part ...

Besides the fact it's A.) More profitable to sell and B.) Can reach a wider audience. Yes.

Of course, you'd be hardpressed to turn in most PC games these days.

what's so pressing about swapping a 10 dollar bill for a friend's dvd?

That's different I suppose (and slightly illegal maybe but meh).

You can't do it on Steam because Steam wants to make money. Why would they let players sell Steam games to one another? :confused:

If you return Civ4, wouldn't you still be able to play because it no longer requires a CD? :confused:

That's different I suppose (and slightly illegal maybe but meh).

You can't do it on Steam because Steam wants to make money. Why would they let players sell Steam games to one another? :confused:

Illegal? Why on earth would that be illegal? I suppose now I can't even sell my used car without giving the manufacturer a cut , too?

And I don't really care about Steam making money.. even less so when it's my expense.

Also, It's quite clear to me why they wouldn't allow game trading.. as I said in my 2nd post.. The entire problem is that they do it to increase profits at the customers expense. That's the problem.. without steam I could easily have traded away this software. I dont know why this is going over your head.

I have to ask, do you work for Steam or something? Sure sounds like it

Moderator Action: Please don't make reference to the fact that just because someone likes/defends Steam, that they must work for them. Thanks.

If you return Civ4, wouldn't you still be able to play because it no longer requires a CD? :confused:

Yes.

Which is why places like Gamestop don't have an extensive PC section because most times, they don't accept returns.

Illegal? Why on earth would that be illegal? I suppose now I can't even sell my used car without giving the manufacturer a cut , too?

I don't know. The part where it says "resale on this product is prohibited" or something. When you sale a car, you no longer have a car. When you sale a game, you can still have the game.

And I don't really care about Steam making money.. even less so when it's my expense.

Sounds like a personal problem. Steam cares about making money. They don't care if you can't make money through their service if you're not a Dev. Why would they?
The entire problem is that they do it to increase profits at the customers expense.

Congratulations. You pretty much summed up Capitalism.

I have to ask, do you work for Steam or something? Sure sounds like it

I don't work for them. I just have more than two brain cells to rub together and can tell you why most brick and mortar stores and Steam doesn't want to deal with game trading and resales on their watch. If you can't see why, then that's your problem.

But of course, I'm 17. So I'm totally working for Steam. Wait, I'm unpaid!

Steam uses child labor!

You're 17 so your mommy is still paying your bills. I can see why you wouldn't be phased about this. Maybe when you get a job and earn a paycheck you'll see things in a different light.

Except that I work at McDonalds part-time and paid for the game out of my paycheck. The same way I have to pay for gas for the car I take to work.

I'm doing this on pretty much minimum wage.

So you really should stop complaining.

You're 17 so your mommy is still paying your bills. I can see why you wouldn't be phased about this. Maybe when you get a job and earn a paycheck you'll see things in a different light.

Or if you learn about contract law, you'll see it in an entirely different light again. I don't think it's a criminal offense, but the prohibition on resale would be a breach of contract.

Or if you learn about contract law, you'll see it in an entirely different light again. I don't think it's a criminal offense, but the prohibition on resale would be a breach of contract.
Well good an adult finally shows up in this thread :lol:

How can I be breaching a contract which itself violates the first-sale doctrines enshrined by the supreme court of this country?

How can I be breaching a contract which itself violates the first-sale doctrines enshrined by the supreme court of this country?

You're right. It does violate the First-Sale Doctrine

Take it up with the Supreme Court because you'll win.

Of course, then I could make the case on why Internet Piracy should be legal but given that the RIAA is able to fine a woman $24 million dollars for pirating music despite buying it first, I'm inclined to say that Capitalism is still Capitalism. She could've sold the music for half what she paid for and still would've been fined so....

Whatever.

Take it to the Supreme Court and afterwards come back and let us know how it went.

Take it to the Supreme Court and afterwards come back and let us know how it went.

Given that he's posting on an internet forum for a video game, I seriously doubt he's going to bring the case to anywhere but the 2k Forums.

By the way...

In a more recent case involving software EULAs and first-sale rights Davidson & Associates v. Internet Gateway Inc (2004)[1], the first sale reasoning of the Softman court was challenged, with the court ruling "The first sale doctrine is only triggered by an actual sale. Accordingly, a copyright owner does not forfeit his right of distribution by entering into a licensing agreement." However, the point was moot as the court found the plaintiff's EULA, which prohibited resale, was binding on the defendants because "The defendants .. expressly consented to the terms of the EULA and Terms of Use by clicking 'I Agree'.

Well good an adult finally shows up in this thread :lol:

Because you signed a contracted stating you aren't buying the game, but leasing it. Therefore, you can't resell it because you never own it. Take a look at the EULA both for Civ5 and for Steam.

Because you signed a contracted stating you aren't buying the game, but leasing it. Therefore, you can't resell it because you never own it. Take a look at the EULA both for Civ5 and for Steam.

I just posted a case regarding it above. Or at least, a summary of it.

When you push "I Agree", you pretty much signed your right away.

Yeah, good example. There's a couple of important 7th Circuit cases on point too. But, seeing as I'm done school for the semester, I have no intention of remembering their names (I think one was ProCD v. something or other, but I don't remember the details).

Yeah, good example. There's a couple of important 7th Circuit cases on point too. But, seeing as I'm done school for the semester, I have no intention of remembering their names (I think one was ProCD v. something or other, but I don't remember the details).

Out of pure curiosity, what class was that? Was it law-related or econ-related since it seems business/econ classes would want to know that stuff as well.

Top Bottom