Is Modding a good way to learn SQL?

Cliomancer

Chieftain
In about a month or so, I'll be starting a programming training course involving learning Visual Basic and SQL from scratch.

I've had a few ideas for game mods and I've seen some threads on this forum about using SQL.
Previously I've never really had the motivation to learn to code properly but I've done okay in my previous forays into codeacademy. Is Civ 6 Modding good for programming novices?

The best part I like about using SQL to mod Civ 6 over XML is I can do with a single line of SQL what it would take 8 lines to do in XML. I also find it easier to understand what the SQL is doing over the XML.

On top of that SQL can be conditional, thus making a mod can mean it works for people who do and do not have DLC for instance the following line, only triggers if the user has the Macedonia DLC.

Code:
INSERT INTO Unit_BuildingPrereqs (Unit, PrereqBuilding) SELECT 'UNIT_MILITARY_ENGINEER', 'BUILDING_BASILIKOI_PAIDES' WHERE EXISTS (SELECT * FROM CivilizationLeaders WHERE CivilizationType = 'CIVILIZATION_MACEDON');

I would say yes. Exact same situation for me. Halfway through Comp Sci degree, lacking motivation. Still not able to see the "matrix" yet, so to speak. Tons of ideas, but no real skill to build them ground-up. It's not a medium to me yet.

So I just started this whole modding thing a few months ago, and it brought a fun side of programming out: seeing actual results.
Being able to see a code work in-game really opened things up. When my first modifier worked, pure joy. Involuntary fist-pumping usually occurs.

I'm finally at the point to take real steps into Lua modding, which is C++ ( the language for my degree plan). That has me really really excited. Game coding seems to be a perfect learning avenue for us novice coders.

Ps: You will learn 100x more by reverse engineering/learning from a completed mod first. Quo's Combined Tweaks was pretty much my textbook, I'd start there.

Yes, I do SQL for a living, as well as mod. It's the same thing.

^ Everything isau said is essential. Those programs are a must for starting off.

Top Bottom