Is SimCity 4 worth it?

Babbler

Deity
I was at Wal-Mart (low prices. low wages. everyday. ;) ) at the electronic section when I saw SimCity 4 Deluxe for sale. I have SimCity 2000 SE and SimCity 3000, and have enjoyed both for hours on end. So my query is simple: Is SimCity 4 worth it?

Thanks in advance.

I would say that it is worth it. I bought it when it first came out and played it for a long time. It was worth the 50 dollars I spent for it then and it is probably cheaper now. I would pick it up. It also comes with the expansion, right? Well if it does that’s good as well. The expansion adds many things to the game so if it does not come with it you should probably get that as well. The game is not perfect but for the price of around 30 dollars you should go out and get it.

I bought it and played it for like 4 hours. I then uninstalled it and have never played it again to this date.

I bought Sim City when it first came out, but I never could quite get the hang of it. I played it for several months trying to get a couple large cities, but never could. So I finally gave up on it, but it did keep me busy for a couple months.

Check out SimCity Central for their excellent tutorials, once they have them up. SC4 Deluxe also has some great ones to get you started.

I still love the game.

I love Sim City 4. It's the first one I truly got the hang of, and it was quite addicting for a while. Was fun to build up a region with my flatmate :)

It's very much worth it, if your computer can run it. A bit of advice, though, don't immediately try to get skyscrapers. That just plows your money into the dirt. ;)

North King said:
It's very much worth it, if your computer can run it. A bit of advice, though, don't immediately try to get skyscrapers. That just plows your money into the dirt. ;)

Unless you already have a well-developed region.

Case in point: Centerville, Terra Nova (one of my cities, mayor name Bill Plains). I had spent a lot of time developing another large tile (called Sylvan Shore, Mayor Name Francis Sylvester Johnson) to a respectable metropolis (1,000,100 population--Manhattan in other words) and developed Centerville, another large tile immediately to the north which I had nonetheless neglected. I was developing this region with a friend of mine, and Centerville bordered, or at least was very close to, several other cities of substantial proportions, particularly Paris (my friend's large city) to the north, and a four-medium-tile conglomeration we call "New Egypt", dominated by Heliopolis (population 230,000), but also consisting of Thebes, Memphis, and Elephantine (all 150,000+) and all ruled by mayor Imhotep Thoth (me, in one of my various guises--I NEVER rule in my own name!) to the west, and of course Sylvan Shore to the south. So I try building high-density in Centerville, and within six months, the skyscrapers are rising. I am fast approaching 1,000,000, and what took Sylvan shore 100+ years is likely to take Centerville only about 75 (current game year is about 60), judging by my growth rate of 2000 per month. Not as spectacular as Pheonix or Las Vegas, but still. And I have built up a respectable treasury, and at least 10% of the land in the city is still completely unused, even unzoned, so it is likely to surpass Sylvan Shore in the near future.

Clearly Centerville is a success story. How? Because I built up skyscrapers early, which I could do because of the fact that I had a well-developed region. So if your region is well-developed, you are likely to succeed even if you begin with high-density, in spite of the costs involved. However, the key phrase is well-developed. There should be a large proportion of incorporated tiles, each with cities of at least 10,000 for small and 100,000 for medium and large. If the majority of your city is already zoned high-density and closely resembles Manhattan, then zone everything high-d immediately--they will want it badly enough, and you will be wasting time and money going through various zone types.

Another bit of advice: keep to a plan. It can be flexible, but it's far better than a natural-growth city, which can lead to a traffic nightmare. And nothing ticks Sims off more than traffic.

Simcity 4 and Rush Hour are worth it. Not to mention that you can put new content into the SimCity 4 plugins folder. Skyscrapers, Ikea stores, even different highway intersections. http://www.simtropolis.com is an excellent place not only get these plugins but look at other peoples cities, read about new mod ideas and even learn a few ideas about how to make your city cooler.

All right, most of the responses are postitive, so I will think about.

One question: I not all that clear on how the region system work? Could someone please explain it more clearly?

Thanks.

The regions are SimNation, with you having control over all the cities. :) Each city works better if it is interdependant with other cities. You can make a really big metropolis this way. :D

I still think 3000 is better than 4. Most people criticise sc3k because it's too cartoony, but that's why I love it! I think SC4 is too fickle and annoying to be much fun. But it does add a LOT to the game, so it's got a lot of depth. I'm sure I would've grown to like it if I had stuck with it.

It's a fun game tho I can't ever build a succesing city, everytime it gets occupied by low life/poor people :( And nobody uses my busses.

777 said:
It's a fun game tho I can't ever build a succesing city, everytime it gets occupied by low life/poor people :( And nobody uses my busses.

HIGH DENSITY. That way, your busses will be overused and you'll be forced to build a subway.

COMMERCE. The maximum an industrial building can provide is about 1000 jobs. A commercial skyscraper can produce 6000, even though they take up the same amount of ground area. You do the math.

the region system rules. It enables you to build an entire metropolitan area of several smaller and bigger cities that interact with each other. It is exactly what it is named: a region. You have the region capital, big cities, small agricultural cities, industry, nature.. and you can connect it all. It's great!

Excellent game, however very frustrating as there is no "undo" button for terrain alterations in the editor etc and it is fiddly!!!

www.simtropolis.com is the place to go for a billion additons to the game. The best being new terrain/water/rock colours, more trees for GOD mode and so much more.

Kudos please for giving you the link ;)

Edit: Bugger, see Leonl putup the link first - great minds think alike :p

Top Bottom