Is there a working Multiplayer?

Avendis

Chieftain
Hi All!

Got a simple question - is there a working multiplayer version of Vox Populi?

Older or newer version, doesn't matter as long as it works :c5happy:

Appreciate all suggestions!

Last edited:
Hello, sadly VP isn't really compatible with lan/internet multiplayer. You can play on the same PC (hotseat) without problem, turn per turn. Maybe one day someone will figure out how to fix it, but the problem is that the code part for the multiplayer lan/internet is closed by Firaxis.

Hello, sadly VP isn't really compatible with lan/internet multiplayer. You can play on the same PC (hotseat) without problem, turn per turn. Maybe one day someone will figure out how to fix it, but the problem is that the code part for the multiplayer lan/internet is closed by Firaxis.
Is this because of the new additions into the code?

I remember a couple of years ago we could play VP in Multiplayer in a group of 4+ people with (relatively) few desyncs

Is this because of the new additions into the code?

I remember a couple of years ago we could play VP in Multiplayer in a group of 4+ people with (relatively) few desyncs
Possibly. I'll admit that using those older versions I always tried using a huge map with about 12 civs usually. Maybe a fairly older version with as small a map and as few civs and city-states as possible could work? Even reading on places such as reddit though, it generally appears many people have had problems with civ v multiplayer desync even in the base game or with brave new world. I've occasionally gotten lucky with those older versions and had fewer desyncs, but the games always get really bad at some point, and then we just quit. Or they just don't work from the start as a test from last year with the current group using a newer version confirmed.

Speaking from personal experience, Firaxis did way better with Civ 6's multiplayer stability (not including Frontier or Leader Pass here). Even with a fair number of mods it still worked pretty well for us. Wish that was the one with shoddy multiplayer stability instead of civ5 but, oh well.

You could try reading some forum advice to see if those work for you. One thing I might recommend is a mod that decreases the unit graphics to one model https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=103261709 and their resolution https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=99014451 to see if that removes some stress from the game and makes it run a bit better. Have never tried that with my group and skeptical it would work, but you can try it.
Hi All!

Got a simple question - is there a working multiplayer version of Vox Populi?

Older or newer version, doesn't matter as long as it works :c5happy:

Appreciate all suggestions!

So far this hasn't resulted in much trouble for the group I'm playing with. Once we figured out how to get it started successfully (3 attempts) we've made it to 95 rounds with no further problems. It's basically like hotseat except it's handed around between multiple computers. Understandable if you find that would take too long. It definitely does take way longer than standard multiplayer. But it's been functioning pretty well so far.

Otherwise, this modpack is probably your best hope, a few people were noting it as being more stable:

Aside from that, reading and following the suggestions of this MP pack might work... heavy emphasis on 'might':

We are currently about to hit t100 on the MP game so it seems to work fine, although it did take a bunch of fiddling to get to this point.

I don't really buy the argument that the unreleased networking code is to blame, because there have been stable versions in the past.
And now it crashes and burns almost immediately. We couldn't even get to turn 2 on several attempts. Many years ago I could play an entire session (several hours) without issues.
While it's true that the networking code itself could be buggy, and something in the later versions triggers bugs that were previously avoided, how likely is that?
I think it's more likely that the cause is in the mod's code.
There have been some truly insane bugs in the past, and news ones keep appearing with every version.
I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that somewhere there's some memory corruption that might not be immediately visible in game (like in some AI decision making or whatever), but which causes the networking code to barf.

Last edited:
I don't really buy the argument that the unreleased networking code is to blame, because there have been stable versions in the past.
And now it crashes and burns almost immediately. We couldn't even get to turn 2 on several attempts. Many years ago I could play an entire session (several hours) without issues.
While it's true that the networking code itself could be buggy, and something in the later versions triggers bugs that were previously were, how likely is that?
I think it's more likely that the cause is in the mod's code.
There have been some truly insane bugs in the past, and news ones keep appearing with every version.
I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that somewhere there's some memory corruption that might not be immediately visible in game (like in some AI decision making or whatever), but which causes the networking code to barf.
A lot of existing functions cause desync. To prevent it, everything has to be rewritten without using those functions, which may sometimes be impossible.

no maybe 3-4 months ago
Which version are you playing?

We are currently about to hit t100 on the MP game so it seems to work fine, although it did take a bunch of fiddling to get to this point.
Could you share what kind of fiddling you guys did? Please don't tell me you had to remove barbarians :cringe:

It's obviously crashing because we changed the code on our end. It's very difficult to step through and see what is causing the crash, because we don't have access to the code where the crash originates. Fixes are mostly shots in the dark.

Last edited:
I generally play with 3 friends (standard map, Pangaea, normal barbarians, no ancient ruins, one or two extra AI) and the game functions well until very late game (though mass battles in the endgame will cause more frequent desyncs and crashes). Other maps such as Terra generate more desyncs, but sometimes we do it anyway because of how interesting the map is.

We use an old version from 2018, but modified some stuff ourselves (without rewriting new code; mostly adjusting or adding/removing some modifiers or yields slightly).

I'm currently working on the latest version, I couls share it if anyone wants it. Do note that it's a subjective idea of balance, based on the experiences of just 4 people, so there might be things not everyone agrees with (though I'm open to any and all feedback). If anyone wants it, also please let me know where I should upload it.

Which version are you playing?

Could you share what kind of fiddling you guys did? Please don't tell me you had to remove barbarians :cringe:

Install the mod in such a way that it runs in single player (this does make it a bit fiddly to switch but not impossible)
we turned events off as that crashed it but nothing else I think. there are no Ai players, no idea if that is needed.
Using a program (PYDT) to download the save files and put them in the right place, playing the game via hotseat.
Version is 2.7
So a fairly recent version and new might well work.

We are past t100 now and it seems to be working fine.

+ for stable VP mp modpack (or stable VP mp version). We have played it maybe a few years ago and it was at least playable (sometimes with de-syncs but still). Now MP is completely unusable because it crashes even in early ages.

I was able to play version 3.6.2 with a friend. We made it to turn 144 before it started crashing. I was surprised we made that far.

Everybody who's interested in playing multiplayer should consider voting in the current poll. This way, we might be able to raise more awareness for the need to fix MP (which is luckily already happening).

I am likely just doing a bad job searching for it, but how do I play VP in Hotseat? I know I had years ago, but I don't recall what mod I put in to allow me to do that.

Top Bottom