Is there any interest in a stable Vox Populi LAN/Internet experience?

Yea, I would glad to fix next troubles, so waiting for your next MP session test, such reports really help a lot. Definitely there are still some desyncs causing instability, some guy from discord said they have played only until renaissance era and then session became unplayable. We will look what is wrong with next github issue 🌚

Speaking of the modpacks, I'm using them but Communitu_79 isnt appearing as an option when selecting the map to play on. Any ideas on how to select it? On the other hand though, the game was running fine from the one short game we had on it (up to turn 50).

EDIT: I've got communitu_79 to show up in the map select menu but in that case I manually added the .lua to \Assets\Maps folder for the game. Hoping this won't break anything as long as I only use the VP modpack.

Last edited:
Speaking of the modpacks, I'm using them but Communitu_79 isnt appearing as an option when selecting the map to play on. Any ideas on how to select it? On the other hand though, the game was running fine from the one short game we had on it (up to turn 50).

EDIT: I've got communitu_79 to show up in the map select menu but in that case I manually added the .lua to \Assets\Maps folder for the game. Hoping this won't break anything as long as I only use the VP modpack.
This is the way to go to have custom maps in multiplayer. The best is to have exactly the same \Assets\Maps folder on each player PC before starting a multiplayer session.

This is the way to go to have custom maps in multiplayer. The best is to have exactly the same \Assets\Maps folder on each player PC before starting a multiplayer session.
Sorry for the naive question, been out of the civ VP game for a while, could you
I have one but with: 1) even more ressources 2) 3/4 UC mod;

I did a complete game with it with a friend. We had 2 CTDs in 350 turns for the non host but we could continue the game by loading the last autosave. Wa also had only one or 2 force syncs (loading screen before the AI could play).

Was a good experience :)

Do not forget to put your map inside Assets/Maps folder on every computer. Even if it is continent for exemple you need to go inside the modpack to find the mapscripts "continent" compatible with VP and copy it inside the Assets/Maps folder for each player.
Apologies for the naive question, been out of Civ VP scene for a while, how do I install the modpack you provided for download? Looking to install it and play stable multiplayer - but also want to ensure I install 100% correctly. I have used FireTuner to make my own multiplayer packs in the past but looking at the files/directories in the download I'm not ringing a bell on where to put them. Any information/guidance that can be provided is sincerely appreciated!

Sorry for the naive question, been out of the civ VP game for a while, could you

Apologies for the naive question, been out of Civ VP scene for a while, how do I install the modpack you provided for download? Looking to install it and play stable multiplayer - but also want to ensure I install 100% correctly. I have used FireTuner to make my own multiplayer packs in the past but looking at the files/directories in the download I'm not ringing a bell on where to put them. Any information/guidance that can be provided is sincerely appreciated!
Hi here a small guide (inspired from a wiki), do it for each player PC:
  • Search for the Civ's DLC folder. The path should be something like C:\...\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC.
  • Extract the modpack .zip here.
  • Search for the Civ's MAPS folder. The path should be something like C:\...\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\MAPS.
  • Copy your maps here.
  • Before the first launch of the game delete the Cache folder from here "\my game\Civilization 5" on each PC
  • In game options set the autosaves to 1 per turn.
  • Enjoy
This mod pack is a little outdated now, version 3.7.12 has some bug fixes.
But I didn't create one yet :/

Last edited:
If there is any folder named "ui_bc1" or "EUI" in the DLC folder, delete it (or cut/paste it elsewhere)
I really won't recommend putting EUI (and VPUI etc.) into the modpack when making it. It's just more work if you want to switch between modpack and VP mods.

I really won't recommend putting EUI (and VPUI etc.) into the modpack when making it. It's just more work if you want to switch between modpack and VP mods.
It depends if these 2 folders are already inside the .zip or not. Or if you want to use a modpack without EUI.

We should have a standard of making modpacks without putting those in, to not confuse newcomers.

Then you can make the zip like this:
MODPACK.zip
- the MODPACK folder​
- ui_bc1​
- VPUI​
And then tell the players to extract it to /DLC. Even if they already have VP installed, the extraction will replace the EUI and VPUI files and it'll be fine.
"Uninstalling" the modpack will also be simple - just move the MODPACK folder elsewhere.

We should have a standard of making modpacks without putting those in, to not confuse newcomers.

MODPACK.zip
- the MODPACK folder​
- ui_bc1​
- VPUI​
And then tell the players to extract it to /DLC. Even if they already have VP installed, the extraction will replace the EUI and VPUI files and it'll be fine.
"Uninstalling" the modpack will also be simple - just move the MODPACK folder elsewhere.
True, I edit my message. Thank you for the recommendation.

Has anybody asked the Firaxis programmers or the programmers who moved to Oxide Interactive for the network code? Not sure how confidential such a thing would be, as I am sure it interconnects multiple server hosts like 2K and Steam.

First time checking the thread in a while. I am enamored by all the progress and anecdotes regarding MP stability since I last logged in. Greedily I do have one more question. With the newfound stability in mind, is there any interest in matchmaking for playing sessions with others? I have something like the No Quitters group in mind, but if there is an already existing way for people to look for VP games or if changes to their rules are preferred then by all means let me know! Would a matchmaking channel in the discord make sense for this sort of thing? Like allowing users in the channel to start threads for a game? Or maybe discord's new forum functionality would fit. I feel like matchmaking is outside the scope of the #mutliplayer channel that currently exists in the Vox Populi discord. Is there another reputable discord/forum for this, or would it be appropriate to suggest adding a matchmaking system to the official Vox Populi Discord?

Last edited:
First time checking the thread in a while. I am enamored by all the progress and anecdotes regarding MP stability since I last logged in. Greedily I do have one more question. With the newfound stability in mind, is there any interest in matchmaking for playing sessions with others? I have something like the No Quitters group in mind, but if there is an already existing way for people to look for VP games or if changes to their rules are preferred then by all means let me know! Would a matchmaking channel in the discord make sense for this sort of thing? Like allowing users in the channel to start threads for a game? Or maybe discord's new forum functionality would fit. I feel like matchmaking is outside the scope of the #mutliplayer channel that currently exists in the Vox Populi discord. Is there another reputable discord/forum for this, or would it be appropriate to suggest adding a matchmaking system to the official Vox Populi Discord?
I prefer to wait until multiplayer is even more stable. There are still some CTDs problem to fight.

MODPACK.zip
- the MODPACK folder​
- ui_bc1​
- VPUI​
I am indeed a confused noob. I've made a modpack but I'm getting "Could not load font .xml file" and "Unable to load texture" errors. I've tried deleting the ui_bc1 folder but the same things happen.

I prefer to wait until multiplayer is even more stable. There are still some CTDs problem to fight.
That's a wise position to take, I think I'll share your stance for now.

For those of us that have played multiplayer games, are there any civilizations that seem stronger/weaker against other humans compared to against AI? It has been a while since I played free-for-all, but I always found England to a uniquely fun civ in multiplayer due to the early Spy; the information on city activity seems more valuable when playing against humans. Not that England isn't already a strong pick in single-player. In my experience there is a bit of targeting that happens when dealing with certain civs in human hands. Civilizations like Korea or Arabia tend to ganged up on early out of principle, even to the determent of the aggressor. The value of international trade routes is also more complicated; a semi-permanent state of war occurs early in multiplayer at a higher rate than in singleplayer. How do multiplayer games usually go for you guys?

Has anybody asked the Firaxis programmers or the programmers who moved to Oxide Interactive for the network code? Not sure how confidential such a thing would be, as I am sure it interconnects multiple server hosts like 2K and Steam.
Everything we need to fix MP is already open-sourced. Closed-source part is responsible for transferring bytes, session management and other things which are not affecting MP stability.

That's a wise position to take, I think I'll share your stance for now.

For those of us that have played multiplayer games, are there any civilizations that seem stronger/weaker against other humans compared to against AI? It has been a while since I played free-for-all, but I always found England to a uniquely fun civ in multiplayer due to the early Spy; the information on city activity seems more valuable when playing against humans. Not that England isn't already a strong pick in single-player. In my experience there is a bit of targeting that happens when dealing with certain civs in human hands. Civilizations like Korea or Arabia tend to ganged up on early out of principle, even to the determent of the aggressor. The value of international trade routes is also more complicated; a semi-permanent state of war occurs early in multiplayer at a higher rate than in singleplayer. How do multiplayer games usually go for you guys?
This is a good question. Just started playing mp again and also would like to know others thoughts. If we wanted a harder game for us which ai civs should we include?

Hi guys,
So which vesion is mostly stable?
Even if its just base ai mod
Ive been using 3.10 and its been quite good. However our most recent game did start having resync crashes occasionally starting 140 turns in.
However they resolved quickly and only lasted a couple of turns and went away.

Anytime we have an issue we restart our game and clear the cache.

Top Bottom