Is there an Open Source Civ III Clone?

Mithadan

Wandering Woodsman
...like Freeciv or C-evo, but with Civ III graphics (especially) and mechanics?

I gave up modding Civ3 back around 2018 when I created a bug in my mod that I could not figure out how to fix, and haven't played any Civ titles until last week, when my nephews convinced me to try Civ6 with them. Now having played Civ6 for a week, I super want to get back to working on my old Civ3 mod again, but I don't want to start all over again from scratch; it's just too cumbersome, using the editor! So I thought, hope against hope, that there might be a more easily moddable game platform that could use the Civ III graphics that I love so much, and I could start from scratch with that.

Probably not, though, hey? Google isn't showing me anything. :undecide:

Welcome back Mithadan. :)

A "clone" for Civ 3 is in development. Please have a look into this forum: https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ3-future-development.604/

And use the new Flintlock Patch, that can be found here for playing C3C: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/sub-bug-fix-and-other-adventures-in-exe-modding.666881/
The Flintlock patch (or mod) in my eyes is one the best things that ever was done for Civ 3 (the other one is Flicster). Even the AI routine for using landartillery and the submarine bug are fixed now.

What was the bug in your mod?

Edit: May be the freeze you talked about in another post resulted from the houseboat bug (last settler on a boat when the last city of a civ was captured). This bug is fixed with the Flintlock patch, too.

Indeed, Mithadan! A delight!

Civinator is spot on. Beyond that, the best (closest) I've found is Freeciv which is open source, and has a "native" -

"Civ2civ3 is a ruleset shipped with Freeciv 2.5 and later. While it is a strikingly different game from Classic Freeciv, it may be set as the "default rules" in some releases of Freeciv."

But I'd go with Civinator's suggestions first.

Welcome back Mithadan. :)

A "clone" for Civ 3 is in development. Please have a look into this forum: https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ3-future-development.604/

And use the new Flintlock Patch, that can be found here for playing C3C: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/sub-bug-fix-and-other-adventures-in-exe-modding.666881/
The Flintlock patch (or mod) in my eyes is one the best things that ever was done for Civ 3 (the other one is Flicster). Even the AI routine for using landartillery and the submarine bug are fixed now.

What was the bug in your mod?

Edit: May be the freeze you talked about in another post resulted from the houseboat bug (last settler on a boat when the last city of a civ was captured). This bug is fixed with the Flintlock patch, too.
Thanks, Civinator, it's good to be back!

Okay, gonna check out that "clone" (or whatever it should be called -- I wasn't sure of the write term) right away!

This Flintlock patch sounds amazing. I assume if I use it, I won't have to remod everything I've done so far, hey? (I feel like that's a dumb question.)

The bug was a freeze where, at some point it my medieval era, the game would just sit there and not complete the AIs turn. It wouldn't crash, however. It would just sit there and spin forever. I ran this on debug but still couldn't spot anything. I suspected it might have been something I did with a government or a wonder, but I have no idea how to find out for sure. I will see if I can figure out if it was that houseboat bug! Thanks!

This is pretty exciting for me, because now I can stop playing that silly Civ6 game (Modern era in 1300AD? Puh-leez!) and get back to real Civ. ;)

Indeed, Mithadan! A delight!

Civinator is spot on. Beyond that, the best (closest) I've found is Freeciv which is open source, and has a "native" -

"Civ2civ3 is a ruleset shipped with Freeciv 2.5 and later. While it is a strikingly different game from Classic Freeciv, it may be set as the "default rules" in some releases of Freeciv."

But I'd go with Civinator's suggestions first.
Woah, cross posted! Good to see you again too, Oz! Yeah, I looked briefly at FreeCiv and decided not to go there because I couldn't use Civ3 unit animations (right?). This C7 Aztec thing looks wicked cool, though. I so hope it works out! I am horsehocky at everything, though, like I can't help out with anything remotely connected to the project, other than just watch in awe as it takes shape.

I gotta figure out this Flintlock patch thing now and see what that does for my mod. SWEET! I'm so pumped!

No, "Sleep is for the weak!" ;)
I'm a lot weaker than I was twenty years ago!

WB :)
Yes, hopefully we will manage to create one.
It's mostly the coding (obviously) that takes time. Gfx (my part is for terrain mostly immobile) are a lot easier to make.
That is gonna be so cool, though. Sweet!

Ai na vedui, Mithadan! What a timely return. We will be in need of modders.
Well, if I can do anything to help, I will! Odúlen gi nathad. ;)

Top Bottom