Is there some sort of colony resource bug?

Bursk

Warlord
I don't know whether or not this is a bug, but things aren't working the way I believe they should, nor according to the 'pedia.

What happens is I found a couple of new cities on another landmass, one of which is directly on some marble. I check the city and cleary have the marble resource available to me:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4114/59668797ic5.jpg

I then turn these two cities into a colony, but when I go to the trade screen I'm unable to ask my new vassal for the marble.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/892/69155795qw0.jpg

The 'pedia tells me that I should still have access to all resources of the colony, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I'm running v3.13 and using v1.07 of the unofficial patch.

The second screenshot is taken 2 turns later. Perhaps he already traded the marble away to someone else. Check the foreign advisor and see if that's the case. (I don't remember exactly how-- I think it used to be possible from the Glance tab, but I imagine there are other ways too).

Yes, it is 2 turns later, but I checked every turn and it wasn't available at all. I had a similar issue a bit later still, when he had crab (and I had zero crab) but that too wasn't in the trade screen.

It seems that you can't ask a colony vassal for a resource if they only have one of them.

It's not just limited to colonies. It happens quite frequently that I know a civ has some resource because I've explored his territory and can see the improvement, roads, etc, and yet it doesn't appear in the trading window at all. I'm not even sure I've ever seen marble or stone available for trade. I chalked it up to an even more extreme version of redding out: "let's just pretend we don't have it". But yeah in the case of vassals that's bad...

No, he hadn't traded it away. I checked immediately after I'd created the colony, and it wasn't available then. I played another few turns to see if it would appear available for trade, but it never did.

I put another city next to that crab you see in the screenshots and gifted him a fishing boat, which he immediately used on the crab. Yet the crab never showed up as available for trade.

This problem ruined my entire strategy, since I was counting on using the marble to build some wonders. The maintenance on the marble city was over 10 gold, so leaving it as my city to access the marble wasn't an option.

I'll ask Bhruic if he can take a look at this.

No, he hadn't traded it away. I checked immediately after I'd created the colony, and it wasn't available then.

So just to make sure we're speaking the same language here, did you look at the Relations page, mouse over the entire row for the vassal, and check to make sure he wasn't trading the Marble to any other civ?

Sure, I managed to find one. I'll post it in a bit.

I am using some xml files from the FedFX mod, so if you don't see the same issue as me, maybe that'll explain it.

Right there are two files here. The first is before you form the colony, in which you can clearly see that I have access to marble.

The second is just before I liberate Giza, where I have access to crab. If you then liberate the city, the crab isn't available from Ragnar, even though he now has access to it.

I am using a modified game speed (one of the xmls from FedFX mod) so I hope this'll load on a standard setup.

Attachments

• Colony Probs.CivBeyondSwordSave
    325.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Colony Probs 2.CivBeyondSwordSave
    332 KB · Views: 96
does your colony have the technology required to make this trade? for example to trade over the ocean you both need astronomy

Yes, you can see from the :traderoute: icon in the screenshot that his colony is connected. (by coast so no need for Astronomy)

This looks like a bug to me, they should be making all their resources available for trade, even if they have only one.

Yes, you can see from the :traderoute: icon in the screenshot that his colony is connected. (by coast so no need for Astronomy)
Yes, but for some reason (bug?) it doesn't work correctly in the vassals own trade network. Try this:

- Open Bursk's 'Colony Probs 2.CivBeyondSwordSave'
- Return Gizha back to Ragnar
- Pump up your Espionage Points to 100% and attribute them all to Ragnar
- Wait a couple of rounds till you can examine all his cities

His resources apparently don't reach his capital Alexandria (though they should). Now wait a couple of more rounds till Alexandria expands and voila, marble and crab are available in the capital and also for trade.

EDIT: Even after adding some roads between his capital and the other cities in the Worldbuilder the resources don't arrive in Alexandria till the city expands.

EDIT: Even after adding some roads between his capital and the other cities in the Worldbuilder the resources don't arrive in Alexandria till the city expands.

Yeah, if you check Alexandria, you'll note that it's not even getting any trade routes. Something is causing it to be isolated when it shouldn't be.

Bh

Yup, that would be the reason. I assumed that Colonies get their Master's maps along with Techs, but obviously they don't. What is confusing, however, is that Ragnar has some Warriors that could be scouting the area. Unfortunately, they are given the UNITAI_ATTACK mission, which means they won't wander out of the explored region.

Bh

That's crazy. It's daft that your colony vassal doesn't even know where you are. Is there a way to change it so that the colony does get both your maps and techs?

Top Bottom