Is there something wrong with Russia's AI?

Krieger66

Lord of all things necro
They always seem to do poorly in the mid-to-late game, being behind technologically and not having a great economy. In my current game, for the last few hundred turns, they've been losing 60+ gold each turn.

Is this intended or did something go wrong in their programming?

In my experience Russia nearly always does well throughout the game, and I've seen this reported by others as well. She once beat me to a science victory, and was by that point the game's dominant power militarily as well.

In my experience Russia nearly always does well throughout the game, and I've seen this reported by others as well. She once beat me to a science victory, and was by that point the game's dominant power militarily as well.

Second that. Fearsome lady with warmonger attitude. Only once i saw her defeat, she had a tundra start though :). What difficulty level do you play, Krieger? I noticed some civs have massive advantages against everyone on levels like Deity. Like Spain, which starts with two scouts..

She has good AI, but she doesn't have a good starting bias, so that might have something to do with it.

Second that. Fearsome lady with warmonger attitude. Only once i saw her defeat, she had a tundra start though :). What difficulty level do you play, Krieger? I noticed some civs have massive advantages against everyone on levels like Deity. Like Spain, which starts with two scouts..

It was on prince difficulty. And I had start bias turned off.

She had a great army for the first half of the game too, but by the renaissance I had six times her military, we were at the same tech level, and she was losing a lot of gold per turn(she didn't have any city state allies I could see either).

Having too many units sitting around doing nothing but costing a lot of upkeep, which inevitably leads to bankruptcy is common at prince and below. I am not sure at which difficulty level the AI gets a huge gold bonus to overcome this problem; could be emperor; maybe king; at immortal or deity the problem is that the AI has a lot of money but doesn't use it - if it did, those levels would be hard to win.

Russia is indeed an strange civ, most of my games with them, they attack me a couple of times, but stay friendly after the wars.

I never seen them in economic troubles, it's the other way around, they have huge gpt and a solid bank. But this is on Prince and up.

She's one of those few candidates I'll put as "likely to go runaway" if in game.

Sometimes someone else will get the drop on her, whether through out-settling her prime estates or coalition wars, and that's when Catherine tends to do poorly.

For me she always puts up a real challenge.. I've even lost twice because of Catherine and her space ships.

Could it be having random personalities on that causes it in some of my games?

Random personalities give you things like Warmonger Expansionistic Gandhi (who covets your lands) and Cultural OCC Moctezuma, and Runaway Attila/Augustus/Sejong...

Yeah, not really that different the last example, but the first two should give you an idea.:p

Random personalities give you things like Warmonger Expansionistic Gandhi (who covets your lands) and Cultural OCC Moctezuma, and Runaway Attila/Augustus/Sejong...

Yeah, not really that different the last example, but the first two should give you an idea.:p
Some of these sound like they might work out well though...doesn't Gandhi have a way to deal with unhappiness from more cities? And some leaders seem like they would do better using different strategies.

Top Bottom