1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Item Management Thread - Term 2

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game III: RPG' started by Bootstoots, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

Zarn has notified me by PM that he does not wish to be item manager and is turning the job over to me as second place in the item elections. I have decided to accept this position. My manager voice will be pink. There are no official item rules defined in our ruleset, therefore all item rules are turned over to me. Here are some item rules:
    Certain items are assumed to be automatically equipped with units. These are:
    Warrior: 1 stone axe
    Spearman: 1 spear
    Archer: 1 bow and arrows
    Swordsman: 1 short sword
    Legionary: 1 short sword, 1 iron shield
    Charioteer: 1 spear, 1 chariot, 1 horse
    Chariot Archer: 1 bow and arrows, 1 chariot, 1 horse
    Horseman: 1 spear, 1 horse
    Horse Archer: 1 bow and arrows, 1 horse

Other items may be purchased for the units. These will be paid in shields until currency. Costs for the items are paid per unit. Here are these items:
    Code:
    Item                                      Cost                                
    Bronze Helmet                      1/8 shield                        
    Iron Helmet                           1/4 shield                       
    Bronze Shield                        1/8 shield
    Iron Shield                             1/4 shield
    Leather Armor                       1/8 shield
    Bronze Armor                         1/4 shield
    Iron Armor                             1/2 shield
    Javelin                                   1/4 shield 
    Sling                                      1/4 shield
    Bow and Arrows                    1/4 shield
    Dagger                                  1/8 shield
    Horse                                     1/4 shield, 1/2 food
    Chariot                                   1/2 shield
    Stone Axe                               1/8 shield
    Iron Axe                                  1/4 shield
    Spear                                      1/4 shield
    Short Sword                            1/4 shield
    Long Sword                             1/2 shield
    Shoes or Boots                        1/8 shield 

Personal items may also be owned by each individual character. The items may be free or the character may be required to pay a price in shields for them. All item ownership must be reported to the item manager in order to be valid.

Here are a few more item rules:

-No unit may be equipped with more than one of the same category of item (for example, a unit cannot be equipped with both bronze armor and iron armor)
    -All items, personal or military, must be reported in this thread. All posts in the previous item thread will not be considered.
    -Any person may request to have an item added to the list, which may be done so at any time.
    -The item manager reserves the right to add item rules and may choose not to allow an item because of lack of technology.
    -A unit must be equipped with horses to be equipped with chariots.

Additionally, I will be gone from June 17-27 and will be looking for a deputy. The Deputy Item Manager will have all powers of the Item Manager for the period of time that I am absent.

2. Bootstoots

Unit Items:
    none yet

Personal Items:

Antonio, Alacia, Bella, Anthony II:
    Iron Armor
    Iron Helmet
    Iron Shield
    Boots
    Iron Long Sword
    Horse.

3. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

to legions:
    the main difference between swordmen and legions is that the legions have a iron armor and shield :) so that should also be the difference between the units at the item management.

also, what about items requested before your rules were posted? will they be tracked?

and what about item storage, for example as we have granaries, the storage of food should be allowed (not to mention the storage of shields).

4. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

also: our characters do not represent units atm. so how can we understand your equip-rule? will the commanders of those units get the items? or will the owner get the item as soon as the units is disbanded? please clarify.

5. Bootstoots

In response to your questions, items requested before this thread was put up will not be tracked until they are reposted here (as there wasn't a cost for items previously). Personal items (items owned by characters) and military items (as shown in the first post) are separate, and when a unit is disbanded, their items disappear with them. Of course, when a unit is passed to another character, their item is passed with that unit. Unit commanders will own whatever their unit is equipped with if they post in this thread that they are commanding a certain unit, and may obtain additional personal items. Also, food and shields are not considered items and as such fall under the Land Manager's juisdiction. You may want to contact the Land and/or Game managers on the issue of food and shield storage.

6. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

and concerning the difference between swordmen and legions?

7. Bootstoots

Well, I could say they were equipped with shields and armor, but they would have no effect on the unit that way and could not be purchased.

8. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

? why would they have no effect on the unit ? the defensive value of a legion is higher than that of a swordman. so they should have a better armor... ? i dont understand your answer. please clarify...

9. Bootstoots

The defensive value of a legion is already higher than that of a swordsman. All items assumed to come with a unit have no additional effect on that unit (because they already possess that item on creation in the first place, and units such as horsemen shouldn't gain a combat bonus by having that item). Therefore, if I allow a swordsman to have iron armor, but not a legion, the swordsman would have a higher defense value than the legion if armor was purchased.

BTW, feel free to re-request items.

10. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

it was requested the other way around... a legion should have an armor, the swordman not.
    i ask because a commander of what the commanders of my units will get and what comes "with their job".
    as such, i still think a legion should come with a short sword and a light armor+shield.

11. Bootstoots

I was refering to legions, I was simply stating that it would be possible for legions to have less defense than swordsmen if legions received their armor with their unit. If you equip a legion with armor, their commanders will receive armor too.

12. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

*sigh*
    what i was referring to is that legions should be ASSUMED to be equipped with something more than a swordman... amor...
    i did not talk about extra things you buy... i referred to the assumed default, and as such the "free" things a commanding or serving character gets...

13. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

i now SEE what you mean... but which sense does it make to improove the attack/defense of UNITS? i completely am against the possibility to improove ingame units this way. i also believe it is not only against the rules but also against the spirit of the rpg, as it would render our units to non-civ3-units.
    also, did conflict management approove this?

14. Bootstoots

But what would be the purpose of military items then?

15. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

to be used in character - to - character conflicts... for example tournaments, or maybe even personal attacks. also, they may even reduce the risk of a leader to be hurt in battle when commanding units :)

or maybe just to be proud of the ownership :)

16. Bootstoots

Okay, I see your point. I will make this proclamation:
    Item Manager Voice:
    The proposal to make items improve the stats of units is hereby repealed. The items will still cost the same amount of shields/food to purchase. The Conflict Manager is encouraged to take unit equipment into consideration when determining battles. Also, the legions will be equipped with a shield automatically but armor will cost extra. Personal items for characters may still be requested, whether they are on the unit item list or not, and they may or may not have a price.

17. disorganizer

disorganizer Deity

thanx. i will post the things i buy for the characters leading the HMC soon. i just have to get a hold of the army now that they lost controlling power :)

18. Civanator

Civanator Deity

ok, Antonio has:
    Iron Armor
    Iron Helmet
    Iron Shield
    Boots
    Iron Long Sword
    Horse.

Anthony II, Alacia and Bella have the same.

19. Bootstoots

That's quite a bit of personal items, Civ. I will charge you 2 shields for all of them. Do you still want to have them?

20. Civanator

Civanator Deity

yup. I got 2 shields. COnsider this post the paying.