JFD's ExCE Resources for Vox Populi [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the back-end, instead of using the Lua scripting of the original (which placed the resources after map generation was complete), I edited VP's version of AssignStartingPlots.lua. I didn't think the original touched the resources already placed on the map, so it would have caused resource abundance to be slightly higher than expected.

i wonder if the original version might be more desirable, to make maintaining the mod a little easier... if assignstartingplots.lua changes in VP, mod will need update

on the other hand, maybe this .lua is final now? anyone know?

also, just to clarify, this is *just* resources from ExCE, right? has anyone done similar with other aspects of that mod? i really enjoy the terrain restrictions and effects from ExCE, but not so much how it breaks some VP things like venice etc.

I meant that in response to Tekamthi above, who implied that the desirable route was to release individual parts of ExCE for the sake of compatibility despite the effort I put into trying to make it compatible.

You are free to keep this mod here; just drop the 'JFD's ExCE Resources' and basically publish it as it's own mod (making sure that Sukritact is okay with using the assets). It's just that, you're using my name and the name of one of my mods without really keeping anything from either in it so it may as well be re-made independently so there's no confusion such as seen in Tekamthi's post.

Thats cool I dont have any plans/time to do this... though I think people might have already done the code in some form eg OP

VP worked well with most of ExCE when it was a standalone, but Venice's UU was broken iirc.. i think one or two other aspects were conflicted too

with ExCE now part of JFDLC and that package much broader in its changes, it doesn't really fit in with the full VP in its current form... much of ExCE does work really well though, I'm sure there'd be a lot of interest in a VP version (ie CBP-compatible, not just CP)

Yes ExCE worked pretty good as a "stand alone" with VP, but baked into this JFDLC package I can't get anything to work. Unfortunately my computer broke down and I can't get to the stand alone I once had. It's one of my favourite mods, making a very enjoyable aspect of the game even more fun. I'll have to satisfy with these extra resources; which I do much appriciate due to the flavour and diversity it adds to my games.

Alright then.

When you rename the mod, I’ll suggest “(5b) Even More Luxuries for Vox Populi”

The 5b is just to keep it adjacent to the base Luxuries file in the VP mod list. Unless, of course, that messes up the load order in which case you can ignore me.

I’m glad you’re keeping this mod public. Once you have all the features compatible with VP it will be a great addition to the mod.

I just don't understand how it's even a thought that it's okay to take my works and re-release them in parts. It's extremely disappointing and disheartening to me given how much time and effort I've put in, and given that I'm still around to address concerns. ExCE is still available as a standalone mod, and JFDLC can be entirely customised to suit the player's wants. It makes me want to keep the development of my works private as it has been for JFDLC over this year, if its fate is to be vultured.

I just don't understand how it's even a thought that it's okay to take my works and re-release them in parts. It's extremely disappointing and disheartening to me given how much time and effort I've put in, and given that I'm still around to address concerns. ExCE is still available as a standalone mod, and JFDLC can be entirely customised to suit the player's wants. It makes me want to keep the development of my works private as it has been for JFDLC over this year, if its fate is to be vultured.

my comment wasn't made in this spirit.. and I don't think the OP's was either necessarily, though I can appreciate your take here. To be clear, I was hoping for the full ExCE, not just resources or some other piece. I just don't want the overrides the old standalone made to core CBP unique stuff, like Venice, and have not played w/ it for a while cuz of those.

if its still a standalone, and/or can be somehow cherrypicked from the JFDLC package, its not at all clear how to me. anyway i haven't ever modded any of your stuff, and have no intention to. Where some here have, I don't think they meant to detract from your work.. i imagine the resources were broken off because they were easy-to-accomplish, and less as a criticism of the rest

Most of outdated or standalone versions of things can be found in my Google Drive here. They're not too well advertised because they're not supported and it's not how I want to represent my work. But it can be used. With JFDLC, you can toggle on and off features using the included User Settings file. You can turn everything but the ExCE resources off if you're so inclined, and the benefit to this is that it will remain updated as I update JFDLC (the public version most likely at Christmas again).

What exactly is the trouble with Venice, if you remember? I don't remember modifying Venice tbh, and if I did, it's not that way anymore - at least in JFDLC's ExCE. And if that's still in the standalone, it can probably be toggled off, as I do always include a user settings file.

from what I remember, the old standalone, when I last used it with full VP, made it so the merchant was somehow different.. i think it couldnt make the unique improvement, or maybe the unit itself was somehow different, I can't recall exactly, but the result was you couldn't make the improvement as expected with VP. I used to leave venice out sometimes and use ExCE anyway, but there were one or two other things that became a little wonky as VP evolved. lately when I get time to play, its almost exclusively a 43-civ game, so Venice always in.

I've had a look through the settings file, but it is a bit mysterious from the perspective of someone that doesn't know JFDLC well; anyway I'll try to comb through it next game, I'd love to have this back in-game.

Thanks for reply!

Last edited:
Hi JFD, it seems like the latest version of the community balance patch (3.5.20.3) is causing some bugs in your rise to power mod as seen here:

Spoiler Ideals and Hidden Resources Bug :
Cultural Ideals and Resource bug.png

Spoiler My Mod List :
Mod List.png

Last edited:
I always liked those resources from ExCE, but I was not fond of rest of that mod stuff. What is the stage of this mod? Is it balanced for VP? Finished? In developement? Abandoned? I saw there are some copyrights issues on...

Last edited:
So except for Rubber and Sulfur, are the other bonus resources not unlocked by technologies?

Seems that way.

Rihannion, the Celtic Pantheon that boosts Tile Improvements, does not affect the new Forest Resources, Oak and Cedar. As no Bonus before benefited from having a Lumber-mill.

Can we expect Feathers any time soon? Going to start a really big marathon game and will have be moderate-to-suicidally upset if you release them during that (long) period :D

Hi guys, back after a little break. (got my first graduate job :))

I asked, and Sukritact doesn't like his assets to be used like this, so I'll have to pull the plug here. I have put the steam version to private, but does anyone know how to hide it in the CFC resource section? Probably need to ask in the main forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom