Just got Civ - the boardgame

Four Four Seven

Spearman
EDIT - See my post about 9 posts down for a review of the game I played...

I just bought the Civ boardgame. (Went to a store near Chicago where the artist and the designer of the game were demo-ing and signing copies of the game, but got there five minutes after they left. :cry: Oh, well...)

The pieces and the game look great! I'm playing the first time tomorrow, and I'll post impressions here afterward if people are interested.

Two comments on the game:

1) The board is HUGE! I've never seen such a large board for a game. Puts the old Axis and Allies board to shame.

2) There's a lack of storage places for the pieces. Once you snap all the pieces off, you've got no place to put 'em. I'm guessing I'll be using lots of Ziploc baggies...

Anyone else own the game yet? I got it at a game hobby store, but it's supposedly going to be at better-known chains as well. I'll believe it when I see it.

The board game must be, well, how should I put this... 'different'.
I mean the other players can see exactly what your doing. It civ3 the computer is blind. Also, finding players would be hard. Anyone on your neighborhood even understand civ3? or own it? Might be a good investment fo a GEEK-A-THON.:scan:

I would buy it but I have no real-life friends to play it with. :cry:

Civ board game didn't know such a game existed. Well, seems to be a fun game. Maybe one should check it out. Might be hard to find here in Sweden though.

Well, the Earth map is more accurate that the one shipped originally with civ3 :p

:D :king: :D

Originally posted by VinManAgent11
be a good investment fo a GEEK-A-THON.:scan:

LOL. Thankfully, my brother and father live nearby, and have both played Civ and the Axis and Allies board game. We're either all geeks or all the rare non-geeks who play dorky boardgames. Take your choice, though I have to say, in comparision I actually felt cool when i went into the game store to buy it. ;)

Anyway, I played the game. Here are my thoughts. Note that there are two levels - basic and advanced. We played basic for our first game. Advanced adds a lot more from the computer game, but basic is a really fun, well thought out challenge.

I'm not going to go into too many details with the rules - you can pick them up at the eaglegames site (there's a link somewhere on this site too). But a few things to note - in the basic game, techs are "generic" - that is, each has the same effect. However, they are crucial, because every two techs you own increase the strength of your attacks (a die roll), by one. Also, one way gold is generated at the end of a turn is to multiply the number of techs you own by the number of unique resources you control. So techs are quite valuable!

Also, in the basic game, there are no city improvements, and no "happiness" concept (these concepts are added in the advanced game). Resources exist, and are crucial for getting gold. There are no shields or science - only gold, and you use it to build units, grow cities, and build settlers, "buy" techs, etc.

Finally, you place a face-down marker on every space of the board to start. These are essentially a combo of stuff - some are "goody hut" type items, like free cities, free tech, or gold. Some are resources (which give you more gold in a few ways if you have a city on them), and some are bad things, like desert, mountain, and jungle (which limit city size),the dreaded "nothing," and, worst of all, plague (which kills units.) Anyway, the fact that the "stuff" will change each game you play makes the "exploration" portion of the game a lot of fun and makes it so it will vary each game.

Anyway, the game is, in a word, GREAT. It combines the best aspects of many games I've enjoyed - Civ (of course), Axis and Allies, Diplomacy, Monopoly, and others. And, at the basic level, the game is not complicated at all. Most of all, it's tons of fun.

When we started, the three of us immediately set up rites of passages, agreed on peace, traded stuff, and were generally friendly. However, one player kept getting closer to my key cities and inisting that he was being "defensive" and telling me "you better not move your guys south or I'll attack." (The ability to negotiate is one of the highlights - it's 500X better than the computer game. You wouldn't believe the stuff we came up with.) Needless to say, I did a sneak attack when he irritated me, and plunged our world into war. I did get the other player to agree to help me with this war and not attack me. But that agreement eventually broke apart. It was essentially two against one for most of the war, with the one getting pretty much pummelled. But then, the two stronger powers worried about each other, and desperately tried to get the smaller player on our side to tip the scales in our favor. The result was a fascinating and very fun ebb and flow of power as we're all jockeying for position. And, it's incredible how mad you get when a real person breaks a complex trade deal or stabs your back and you're in the same room!

Anyway, the trading aspects, as well as the complex diplomacy (do I trust him not to attack and should I grow my cities and explore, or do I build an army "just in case he attacks", or do I go on the offensive) make for a very engaging, interesting, and FUN game. I have a feeling we'll be playing this when possible instead of PTW.

Should you buy it? I'd say the answer is defininitely yes if five things fit:

1) You have at least two other nearby playing colleagues (I think a four-person game would be even better).

2) You enjoy boardgames. Truly, any type of boardgames (as I said, Axis and Allies, Monopoly, Risk, Diplomacy, etc.). This game takes the best of many great boardgames and forms them into a cohesive and addictive game.

3) You don't mind a slightly more complex game than a typical family game. (And truly only slightly. It's easier than Axis and Allies, but more complex than Monopoly.)

4) You don't hold grudges for sneak attacks and breaking deals! I'm telling you, this is the highlight of the game. And, best of all, these grudges are going to stick around next game...

5) You can afford the price. (If I could only afford one, I'd choose the boardgame over PTW. Really!)

Next game we play, we're going to try the advanced rules (where techs actually do stuff, and lots more "civ" stuff is added in. When that occurs (probably in about a month), I'll give another game report.

Oh, and, as far as the map, it's incredibly well thought out. I like the look (kind of an "ancient" map view). And the spaces have just the right chokepoints and such. I was concerned when I saw the map originally, but it really plays amazingly well. Trust me on this...

Having the game myself...this game almost HAS to be played 3 player. While fun with two player, once one player gains an advantage in gold production (Which can be simple to do, it's easy to get monopolies with just two players), it's impossible to come out from behind without some REAL tricky moving. I also think the 'Manhattan project' wonder should be useable repeatedly, for a price. ;)

Also, there are no rules for razing cities. While easy enough to house rule, this should have been in the game to start. (Yes yes, picky picky)

How long did it take you to play out a whole game, or did you finish the game you described above?

Did you win?

Originally posted by USMC
How long did it take you to play out a whole game, or did you finish the game you described above?

Did you win?

Tough to answer. We were also watching my two kids and my brother's kid, so there were many breaks for them. We played for about 4-5 hours, of which I'd say 2.5 were kid-breaks. So we played for about 2 hours. We did not finish (it was time to take the kids home), but I had a significant lead when we ended (about halfway through the second era). I think the game was slowed considerably from our early warmongering.

I also agree with D. Shaffer above. The game HAS to be at least a three player game. With two players, the trading and backstabbing aspect is pretty much lost.

I still think a four player game would be perfect.

Wow, I have to try this! My hubby loves challenging games like this (think Monopoly is boring because he wins all the time!)

Hope I can get this in Ireland! Would make a great Christmas gift.

Wishful

Interesting... I might get that version of civ as well.

Did y'all know that Civilization was an old Avalon Hill game? Sid and co. purchased the rights to turn it into a computer game.

This new game is a real Back to the Future moment.

Top Bottom