Just read a nice short story

Kyriakos

Creator
I was at some bookshop and thought of reading a bit of some collection of short stories which the shopkeeper had suggested that i read some time ago. I expected to not like anything, since the collection was by a living author, and moreover a greek one (and i read very few contemporary greek writers i must admit).
However i was very pleasantly surprised.

It turns out the story was based on a Nick Cave song, probably with the same name (From her to eternity). It was a good story, one could not tell what exactly had happened- if anything had happened outside of the narrator's imagination. There was blood, and voyerism. The writer is female, but the narrator was a man.

Now i plan to have a look at some more of her work, and probably will end up buying that one.

-What was the last good story you read?
-Do you read all kinds of authors, or mostly from set periods?

The internet is great for communicating with people one does not know, so i will probably send her a message on Facebook, although i really doubt she has read anything by me.

The overwhelmining majority of the short stories I read are by one of two authors -- Kurt Vonnegut or Isaac Asimov. This is because I don't seek out short stories by themselves, but I do enjoy the work of those two authors. Asimov's Black Widower stories are my favorite. I've also read numerous Sherlock Holmes tales, and am planning to begin the works of P.G. Wodehouse. I like mysteries, but am tired of dead-body mysteries. For that reason I like Asimov; he wrote classic puzzlers that were outdated even in his day.

I did recently buy two magazines which are (in essence) short story collections, though...the latest copies of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine and Analog Science Fiction and Fact.

I'm not sure if your second question referred to short stories or literature in general, but most of the fiction I read is either historical (I especially like Bernard Cornwell) or science-fiction. Again, the SF fiction is mostly Asimov, unless you count Star Trek and Star Wars. SW is more fantasy, though.

I was at some bookshop and thought of reading a bit of some collection of short stories which the shopkeeper had suggested that i read some time ago. I expected to not like anything, since the collection was by a living author, and moreover a greek one (and i read very few contemporary greek writers i must admit).
However i was very pleasantly surprised.
You prefer to read stuff by dead authors??? What if you find a particularly enjoyable one and there won't be any more to look forward to because the author's dead?

-What was the last good story you read?
-Do you read all kinds of authors, or mostly from set periods?
Right now I'm in a Star Trek fanfic mood, currently reading The Andorian Incident. It's a Voyager/TNG crossover where Tom Paris and B'Elanna Torres become crew members on the Enterprise after Riker takes over as Captain (after Picard's promotion to the Admiralty). It doesn't follow the movie or novel tie-in canon. The author has a good grasp of the characters, and I'm enjoying it.

Most of my book collection is science fiction, fantasy, historical fiction, and nonfiction. One of these years I'm going to read The Count of Monte Cristo, since I got interested in it after becoming addicted to a computer game based on it.

You prefer to read stuff by dead authors??? What if you find a particularly enjoyable one and there won't be any more to look forward to because the author's dead?

That is a problem, but on the other hand one does not have to wait for new work to be created, since it is already so. :)

It must be some antagonistic issue as well, although i did like that story by that living greek author.

Dead authors of note usually have left behind something more or less complete, or at least it is seen as more complete due to the very fact they are dead. Also i like the old style of writing...

@Smellincoffee: which short story by Asimov would you suggest i read? Never read anything of his.

Top Bottom