K-Mod: Far Beyond the Sword

I wouldnt make the barbarians more random and foolish...

My suggestion would be to
1. Delay their early city aggression and technology (like axemen) longer until its more reasonable for the player to have similar resources. Perhaps design them so they first try to kill your scouts...and if they kill your scouts then their numbers increase (I think its already like this) from less sight by the player. This would make them just as powerful later on but more predictable in general.

2. Increase the number of barb cities. Perhaps if they take a city or two from a civ, they can become a civ with "average" technology that most people have researched already, or through a new random event.

3. They should not pillage sea resources. Just because of the annoyance, and the tiny gold theoretical benefit for them. Im not sure if they do that already or not, but barb gallys are ridiculously annoying early on.

I think its cool that if the barb territory is left alone/unscouted, they can be a real threat/annoyance at times, particularly on islands.

I will say that the lack of reliable anti-barb-galley defense early in the game (short of building two galleys of your own to be sure you can't get RNG screwed) is the thing I dislike the most about the way barbarians are normally implemented in the game.

It's particularly annoying to roll a map that happens to contain a small island chain connected to your continent, in such a way that you have to fogbust it perfectly (either with multiple workboats or a galley + scout dropoffs), lest your aquatic resources get pillaged into uselessness as soon as the barbs get a chance to breed and start spamming galleys at you. Which they will do. Like ninety percent of the time.

It's one of the worst things about trying to have a good coastal start, and the idea of sometimes _needing_ to adopt Slavery just to be able to whip galleys in hammer-impoverished coastal starts (Yargh! Work hard, citizens! Work yourselves to death to generate primitive warboats!) has always felt more suspension-of-disbelief straining than should be necessary.

I'm all for barbs having the ability to water-pillage, but there seriously should have been a cheaper, non-transport combat ship other than the Galley for warding off early barb-naval invasions. Either that or there should have been some other recourse for stopping the darn things. Triremes are not exactly practical on beakers to get to in a big hurry without gimping yourself, unless you're prepared to go for a full-out maritime economy for the early game.

In other news, I've just made a few changes to the 'normalizer' on the map generator. Recently it's be really bugging me that I very frequently start next to a lake which is 1 step away from a river. It seems to happen all the time, and I was sure it must be caused be a bug of some kind. Today, I finally got around to looking into it, and now I think I've fixed it.

If you implement the fix described above, I will compose an epic in your honor. Seriously, I hate this situation with a passion. It's not like the loss of a river tile is that big a deal, but couple it with frequent forest spam and starting cities that are always exactly 2 tiles away from the coast, and I got really sick of it really fast.

That said, I still need to give this mod a serious try. I was intrigued by the speed reductions and the better AI/BUG merge, but I downloaded it at the end of my last Civ 4 craze and haven't messed with it much.

I've just uploaded v1.19.

I've reformatted the "actual effects" BUG option that I said was so ugly. I think it looks much better than it use to - but I'm open to your feedback.

I've also made some good changes to the default starting-position normalizer. The normalizer is the thing that edits the map after the starting positions have been chosen, to ensure that the starting positions meet some particular minimum standards. The default normaliser had some problems; one particular well known problem involves plains-cow... anyway, I've made a few changes and I think it will be a bit better now.

Aside from that, there are a few minor bug fixes and AI tweaks and that's about all. I've made just a minor change to the barbarian AI. As I've said, the barbarians haven't really been a problem for me on the maps that I play on; so I've taken just a tiny step in the direction of making them less dangerous. The step is that they will now be a bit more likely to attack units on the way to their target city, rather than just bee-lining straight to the city.

+1 karadoc :D

Im fighting so hard in 1.18 right now, against just one civ. China had more than double other people's gnp, so I had to back stab him before he got rifles before anyone else got muskets.
Then gilgamesh backstabbed me... I had to slave so much, I had to stop teching for money for upgrades...

And they kept sending huge stacks...and destroying my buildings with espionage, so I finally got defensive spies.

I think I got like 4 great generals out of that war, dropped behind in tech, and gained....just one city...

So epic!!!!

edit: economy back on track and then....germans naval land on me....

Hey Karadoc,

Really great to see the quick updates to this fantastic mod - great work!

Quick question, if I am in the middle of 1.18 game, can I install 1.19 and keep going? Or will i need to start a new game?

Cheers,

~Mak

I would think it would be fine, Makaru. None of the changes in the 1.19 changelog look like they would break savegame compatibility (and in the past when such a change happened, Karadoc made a great big note about it on the changelog).

I'm curious to give this one a try too. :)

My first game as 1.19 I was next to the Malianese, and despite my best efforts at scouting them, they dropped an unkillable archer stack on me just when I finally got iron.

Free archery for the Malianese ai seems terriblely over powered lol.

I play my games and save them like 1.191 means the first 1.19 game, so on to 1.192...

i know your big about thoroughness so I have this small issue.

I was sending a fishing boat to scout around for islands...and when I clicked over several turns on the fighing boat to "auto scout" it stayed on the same spot, which I guess indicated there was nothing more it COULD scout.

This save shows me finding a small island to the left, which I scouted manually, after the fishing boat failed to scout on "auto explore".

Btw, I find ocean resources tough to see visually so I mark them with alt S, especially if they get pillaged its easier for me to replace them.

Side Note Edit: Im seeing privateers this game! OMG they are destroying my ships and blockaging a port...havent seen that unit in forever

Attachments

• for karadoc.CivBeyondSwordSave
    266.3 KB · Views: 51
Hi Karadoc,

maybe there are two bugs in Kmod 119 release: see my Rome Kmod 119.zip

Civ4ScreenShot0759.JPG : In Pataliputra's city screen, culture bar are showed Palace, Forbidden Palace, Library, Theatre, Colosseum, Shakespeare's Theatre, Moai's Statues which are NOT present in this city. Why?

Civ4ScreenShot0760.JPG : In Cuma's city screen there are NO buildings with health effects showed in details. See any other cities to see that down of "Salute Totale" (total health) are listed +2 health from acqueduct, +1 unhealtiness from forge...

Always a great Mod!

Version 119 is more challenging than previous!

Attachments

• Rome Kmod 119.zip
    566.8 KB · Views: 46
Is there anyway to add blue marble to this? Not necessarily bundled but just installed with?

I think. Open the "K-Mod.ini" file and change NoCustomAssets = 1 to NoCustomAssets = 0.

Put "BM tiles.FPK" into the K-Mod\Assets folder.

That's it!

I think. Open the "K-Mod.ini" file and change NoCustomAssets = 1 to NoCustomAssets = 0.
No, no. Don't trun on custom assets. Just turn on CustomArt (and it should be on by default in K-Mod). Karadoc uploaded blue marble somewhere. I dont know if he made any changes to fit K-Mod or not. U can try the regular one or browse the thread. Maybe there is a link on download page for K-Mod.

I believe i finally got K-Mod working under an older version of WINE.

Theres a few things i miss from "Better BUG AI" mod, one is the "available working tiles", basically a light blue area simbolizing the tiles where the city can work, very useful when one has two cities close together fighting for space :).

Still, no clue if K-Mod is really running or the older WINE is just running vanilla BTS

i know your big about thoroughness so I have this small issue.
[...]
This save shows me finding a small island to the left, which I scouted manually, after the fishing boat failed to scout on "auto explore".
I don't yet know what the problem is. In the save itself, the autoexplore seems to work. And I tried using the world editor to unexplore the island; but autoexplore successfully found it again. So I don't know what went wrong. I might look into it some other time - I know the autoexplore code is pretty bad in general, so maybe one day I'll have a go at fixing it up.

Btw, I find ocean resources tough to see visually so I mark them with alt S, especially if they get pillaged its easier for me to replace them.
I agree that they are had to see; so I usually play with the resource sign things turned on. There's a button for it in the bottom right corner, or you can toggle it with ctrl+R.

Civ4ScreenShot0759.JPG : In Pataliputra's city screen, culture bar are showed Palace, Forbidden Palace, Library, Theatre, Colosseum, Shakespeare's Theatre, Moai's Statues which are NOT present in this city. Why?

Civ4ScreenShot0760.JPG : In Cuma's city screen there are NO buildings with health effects showed in details. See any other cities to see that down of "Salute Totale" (total health) are listed +2 health from acqueduct, +1 unhealtiness from forge...
Believe it or not, those are not actually bugs. That's just the way that crumby new feature works. What it is showing is the list of things you could build to get those bonuses.

It's a pretty poor way of communicating the information. It's one of the reasons I was complaining after I implemented it. You can turn all that junk off in the BUG options menu.

I'm curious though - does anyone actually like that particular feature? I'm thinking of stripping it out of the game, so as to avoid this kind of confusion and to reduce clutter in the options menu and so on. Otherwise, if the feature does have some fans, maybe I'll just add a line that says "potential upgrades" or something like that at the start of the list.

Is there any way of knowing, in-game, that K-Mod is actually running?
No, sorry. It would be nice to have it in game, but then I'd have to remember to update the number every time I upload a new version, and sometimes I'd forget, and the number would be wrong, and ... well ... I've just decided it probably isn't worth it. changelog.txt in the K-Mod folder should always have the correct version number.

Is there anyway to add blue marble to this? Not necessarily bundled but just installed with?
Unfortunately, K-Mod can't load graphics from the custom-assets folder. (or at least, I don't know how to make it do that without screwing other things up.) So here's what I do to get blue marble in K-Mod:

Grab this file, and unzip it into the K-Mod\assets folder.

That FPK file in that zip has all of the blue marble tiles, but I've removed the other blue-marble stuff such as the big Blue Marble sign on the main menu. The good news is that using blue marble in this way doesn't break compatibility with other K-Mod players in multiplayer. :) You don't need to change the .ini file.

I believe i finally got K-Mod working under an older version of WINE.

Theres a few things i miss from "Better BUG AI" mod, one is the "available working tiles", basically a light blue area simbolizing the tiles where the city can work, very useful when one has two cities close together fighting for space :).

Still, no clue if K-Mod is really running or the older WINE is just running vanilla BTS
A quick way to confirm that K-Mod is running is to open the environmental advice tab in the economics advisor screen. If the tab exists, the the K-Mod python is working; if the numbers in that tab are there, then the K-Mod DLL is working.

In other news, I think I may have found a way to fix the unreliableness in the shift, alt, and ctrl keys. You may have noticed that if you use these keys, and if you play pretty fast, then sometimes it doesn't work properly. ie. sometimes the key doesn't register as being pressed when it should, or visa-versa. (TheMeInTeam constantly complains about this problem.) Anyway... I'm pretty sure this problem will be gone in the next version. I'm going to use native Windows functions to get the key-state, rather than using the keystate that the game itself reports.

My save was two/three turns after I tried auto explore (and then went manually scouting). But its a tiny issue.

-CUT-

Believe it or not, those are not actually bugs. That's just the way that crumby new feature works. What it is showing is the list of things you could build to get those bonuses.

It's a pretty poor way of communicating the information. It's one of the reasons I was complaining after I implemented it. You can turn all that junk off in the BUG options menu.

I'm curious though - does anyone actually like that particular feature? I'm thinking of stripping it out of the game, so as to avoid this kind of confusion and to reduce clutter in the options menu and so on. Otherwise, if the feature does have some fans, maybe I'll just add a line that says "potential upgrades" or something like that at the start of the list.

-CUT-

I had absolutely knew they were the buildings that could potentially be built!

If so, no problem! I actually like this feature!

A quick way to confirm that K-Mod is running is to open the environmental advice tab in the economics advisor screen. If the tab exists, the the K-Mod python is working; if the numbers in that tab are there, then the K-Mod DLL is working.

ITS WORKING !

So as a summary for anyone else having trouble on WINE + BTS + K-Mod:

WINE 1.2.3 runs perfectly BTS 3.19 with K-Mod.

Top Bottom