K-Mod: Far Beyond the Sword

@Karadoc, I somewhat like that particular feature for planning/examination purposes, but I agree it would be a lot less confusing with a "Possible upgrades" type of line. It confused me too the first time I encountered it in another BUG-using mod.

So I saw a link to this mod from the PIG topic, and decided I kinda wanted to check it out. However, I was turned off somewhat by my inability to see just what was actually changed- especially the nitty gritty of the changes to units and buildings. Not everything is in the changelog here, and it's hard to go through since it's revision by revision. So I made my own changes list, going through the changelog.txt in Github, putting it all in one place. Though I gave up early on the AI changes. ;)

Anyway, I figured I'd paste it here in case Karadoc found it useful, interesting, or just entertaining that someone went through the trouble. :D

== Mods built in ==
* Actual Quotes
* Better AI (customized)
* BUG (butchered)
* Unofficial Patch
* Advanced Combat Odds

== New culture system ==
Perceived problems with the old system:
In the old system, plot culture was essentially dominated by 'free culture' from cities. The actual culture output of a city had very little effect other than to increase the culture level of the city. In a culture war (where two civs attempt to push each other's borders back with culture) the culture slider wasn't much use, because the culture output of a city had a relatively minor role on plot culture.

Two cities would almost always be able to culture press a solo city even when the solo city had much more culture output than the combined total of the two cities. "Culture bombs" did almost nothing, and using spies to spread culture had essentially the same effect on plot culture as a great artist culture bomb! And culture was only useful in border cities (and in the top three culture cities when trying to get a cultural victory).

My solutions:
Plot culture is now primarily determined by the culture output of cities. The 'free' culture has been reduced to almost nothing. (I haven't completely removed free culture because otherwise it would be too easy for civs with the cultural trait to culture press in the early game.) Instant boosts to culture, such as great works and espionage missions, now apply as much plot culture as if the city had produced the culture in the normal way. Finally, plot culture from a city now extends a couple of squares beyond the borders of the city, and so cities don't need to be right on the border of the civilization to contribute to a culture war.

== New global warming system ==
In standard BtS, global warming is a bit of a joke. It is triggered by the wrong things, you can't really do much to prevent it, and it hits the world in a harsh and unintuitive way. I've completely changed it.

In short, it works like this:
Every point of unhealthiness is counted across the world. If this total is more than some threshold amount then global warming becomes possible, and the likelihood increases as long as the unhealthiness total is above the threshold. There is an environmental advisor which can tell you all the details (on the same screen as the financial advisor).

When global warming strikes, it no longer removes the tile improvement, and it doesn't turn the tile straight into desert, so each strike is far less severe than in original BtS. Also, global warming is more likely to strike cold tiles before hot tiles. eg. The ice caps are likely to melt before your plains get turned into desert.

Positive healthiness (eg. from hospitals) does not reduce the global warming pollution, but a environmentalism and public transport have been changed so that they do reduce unhealthiness rather than increase healthiness.

As global warming becomes more likely, civilizations start to get a happiness penalty which is based on their relative contribution to global pollution.

== CHANGES ==

=== AI ===
* AI adjustments: will build more workers, tech less predictably, be less afraid of buildings that cause unhappiness, and more.
* Many AI improvements, including better evaluation of civics, more awareness of cultural pressure, proper understanding of how environmentalism will affect GW anger, better understanding of the difference between techs that 'reveal' a resource and techs that 'enable' a resource, tweaks for espionage mission choices and nuke building, and more.
* Fixed a bug from the original BtS code, which sometimes caused the AI to include their own military power when counting the power of a potential military target.
* Better settlement location logic. Less likely to settle in useless locations in the late game.
* Increased the number of floating defenders the AI thinks are required for the later era.
* The AI's willingness to accept uneven trades now depends on their attitude towards the trade partner, and their relative ranks. eg. The AI will allow itself to offer slightly larger discounts to its friends, and to civs who are low on the scoreboard. (Note. this doesn't affect trades that the human proposes to the AI. It only affects deals that the AI proposes.)
* Tech trade deals offered to human players can now sometimes include a small discount. (ie. If you try to renegotiate a deal, you might not get as good a deal as was originally offered - so it might now be worth considering the deal the AI offers you rather than going straight to the renegotiate button!)
* The AI is now capable of arranging tech trades that involve multiple techs - both AI-to-AI, and AI-to-human.
* Completely replaced the AI for deciding when cities should slave-whip and rush-buy. The new system will whip more often, but hopefully only when it is wise to do so. The calculation to decide when to slave-whip has some dependence on the personality of the AI player - some AIs will prefer to grow their cities; some will be especially keen to get lots of overflow hammer from whipping. The new AI is better able to adapt to different game rules. In particular, the new AI can handle hurry commands which combine gold cost and population cost; such a combination would cause the old AI to get confused and make mistakes.
* Barbarian attack stacks are now more likely to attack units outside of cities on the way towards their target city.
* I'll be honest- there's so much AI stuff that I'm only bothering to put a few highlights here.

=== UI ===
* Added an 'environmental advisor' as a tab on the financial advisor screen; it displays most of the relevant information related to pollution and global warming.
* Added religion bonus information to the mouse-over text in the city-screen for buildings being constructed. (eg. University of Sankore bonus on temples)
* Drafted units are now included in the stats screen's units-built tally.
* In the diplomacy screen, pressing "Lets stop this fighting..." will now bring up the trade screen with the AI's suggested peace terms. (Originally, it just made peace instantly without any trades - it was a horrible button.)
* Alt+click on a leader's name will now open a declare-war popup window rather than just instantly declaring war.
* The diplomacy screen should now allow the human player to declare war even if the AI player refuses to talk.
* Added a new BUG option: Rapid Unit Cycling. This option removes the delay between issuing a command to a unit and the automatic selection of your next unit.
* Paradops can now be performed with multiple units simultaneously instead of just one unit at a time.
* Amphibious landings can now be executed even if the group isn't ready to move. (eg. if you have a transport on the coast, with no moves left, ordering it to move onto the land will now cause it to unload its cargo.)

=== Global Warming ===
* Added global warming unhappiness; depends on global warming index, current global pollution rate, current local pollution rate, land size. added mouse over text in city screen, and so on.
* Global warming can turn coastal desert tiles into ocean. When this happens, units will be bumped to a nearby tile.

=== Vassals ===
* The count of vassal cities is now halved in the number of cities maintenance calculation. [To make vassalizing more attractive]
* Removed attitude averaging between vassals and masters [I felt the previous behaviour was unintuitive, undocumented, and discouraged vassalizing]

=== Empire Maintenance ===
* "Number of cities" maintenance cost is no longer capped (ignores the caps set in the xml) [to weaken the power of huge civs]
* Distance maintenance modifiers no longer effect the cap on colony maintenance. [So that 'State Property' does not remove colony maintenance.]

=== Culture ===
* Preventing a cultural revolt with a military garrison is now more difficult (asymptotically more difficult).
* Changed the scaling of revolt chance with military garrison (from linear, to something else... small garrisons are relatively more effective than they were before).
* Removed the free liberation culture for cities that have already been owned. [to prevent an exploit]
* New mechanic- trade route culture. Trade routes give plot culture in addition to commerce. The amount of culture given by the trade route is 1% * trade city's culture level * trade city's culture rate. The culture belongs to the owner of the trade city, not the local city; and it is not counted towards the culture of the city itself - it only effects the plots around the city.
* Changed plot culture mechanics: cultural influence extends 3 steps beyond the border. Outer ring of cultural influence gets 100% of the city culture; the city tile itself gets 1000%; the rate varies quadratically in between.
* Instant boosts to culture (such as great works and espionage missions) now apply the appropriate amount of plot culture with their city culture.
* Culture from Great Works changed from a flat 4000 to 800 * era. [to reduce the power of the early culture bombs ? but it's worth pointing out that early culture bombs are still very powerful]
* Reduced culture of many buildings and most Wonders.
* Sistine chapel state religion culture bonus changed from +5 to +3. [culture is more powerful now; so this building needed to be nerfed]
* Sid's Sushi Co. now produces 1.5 culture per resource, down from 2 culture per resource. [still the most powerful corp...]
* Changed the length of cultural revolts 3 + 2*(number of previous revolts), so that the system is simpler. [previously it depended on the current era, the highest population of the city, and the number of adjacent plots owned by the player]
* "No culture flipping after conquest" now prevents cities from flipping back to the /team/ of the previous owner, rather than just the previous owner themself.

=== Buildings ===
* Industrial park: Cost raised to 250 from 200; now has 2 free engineers rather than 1. [pollution hurts more now, so this building needed a buff]
* Jail: Reduced espionage to +2, down from +4. [+4 and +50% was too powerful for a relatively early game building which has other benefits]
* Public transport: Removed health bonuses, replaced with -15% unhealthiness from population. Increased cost to 200 (from 150).
* Colosseum cost increased to 100, up from 80. Now gives 20% culture rate bonus. [I wanted a early culture multiplier that would apply to all cities.]
* Religious building culture multiplier down from 50% to 40%. [to de-emphisize the role religion plays in culture; and the balance the colosseum buff]
* Odeon: Reduced culture output to 2, down from 3.
* Arabian Madrassa: Reduced culture output to 3, down from 4.
* Cathedrals/etc: Reduced cost to 240, down from 300.

=== Traits ===
* Protective: +100% build rate for Security Bureau.
* Aggressive: +100% build rate for Jail (and Mausoleum).

=== Civics ===
* Serfdom: Added +1 Commerce from Farms and Plantations, and -1 commerce from Towns. [I want to make serfdom a useful mid-game civic]
* Vassalage: -25% number of cities maintenance.
* Representation: Science bonus reduced to 2, down from 3.
* Free Speech: +50% culture, down from +100%. [now that culture is more powerful, this needed a nerf.]
* Environmentalism: Removed health bonuses, replaced with -30% unhealthiness from population. Removed corp maintenance penalty. Increased upkeep to High, from Medium.

=== Wonders ===
* Eiffle Tower now comes with mass media instead of radio. [to make mass media more appealing, and make free broadcasting towers less weird]
* Stonehenge no longer goes obsolete. [I felt that this wonder was actually disadvantageous, because the 'free' monuments disappeared and thus robbed the owner of late-game culture]
* Space Elevator: +100% bonus to spaceship parts, up from +50%.
* Sistine chapel state religion culture bonus changed from +5 to +3. [culture is more powerful now; so this building needed to be nerfed]
* The Sistine Chapel's bonus culture on religious buildings is no longer doubled for 1000 year old buildings. (For example, previous a 1000 year old temple with the Sistine Chapel would give (1+3)*2 = 8 culture. Now it will only give 1*2+3 = 5 culture.)
* Great Lighthouse: cost increased to 300, up from 200.
* Kremlin: Now has 4 culture.

=== Units ===
* Ironclad: Movement increased to 3, up from 2. [the ironclad was frustratingly slow... with this buff it is still slower than galleons]
* Great Spy gets free Commando promotion.
* Work Boats no long count as military units.
* The immediate experience boost from Great Generals (when used as a 'warlord') is now increased by 10% for each affected unit, up to a maximum of +100% (ie. 40 xp shared across 11 units).
* Gunships now start with the Amphibious promotion.
* Ballista elephants now get 1 first strike.

=== Promotions ===
* All promotions that have a combat promotion as an optional prereq also now have the equivalent drill promotion as an optional prereq.
* Leadership promotion now gives 50% protection vs revolt (in addition to +100% experience gained).

=== Corporations ===
* Changed tech requirements: [in my experience, sushi and mining inc are always by far the most powerful corporations. My goal with changing the prereqs is to make the weaker corps more viable.]
** Civ Jewellers: Corporation
** Sid's Sushi Co: Refrigeration
** Cereal Mills: Medicine
** Creative Constructions: Steel
** Standard Ethanol: Combustion
* Sid's Sushi Co. now produces 1.5 culture per resource, down from 2 culture per resource. [still the most powerful corp...]
* Mining Inc now uses aluminium and uranium instead of gold and silver. [this should make mining inc slightly weaker, and civ jewellers more viable]
* Cereal Mills: Increased food production to 1 food per resource, up from .75. [Maybe now it will be able to challenge sushi co?]

=== Tech ===
* Slightly reduced the tech rate for everything in the later eras (slowed research), using the BBAI defaults.
* Tech trades in which the receiving player is more than 2/3 of the way through researching the tech or when the tech is behind the 'game era' no longer count towards tech trade memory. ie. They don't contribute to causing "we fear you are becoming too advanced".

=== Events ===
* The volcano event now has a chance of increasing the food yield of adjacent tiles (in addition to the original effects).
* Cottages and hamlets destroyed by the volcano event will no longer leave city ruins.

=== Espionage ===
* Changed the way stolen gold is calculated for espionage missions. [Previously, the amount of gold stolen was inversely proportional to the target civs number of cities!]
* Changed the way switch civic / religion costs are calculated for espionage missions. [The cost now scales with the size of the civ.]
* Increased the cost of steal treasury espionage missions.
* The cost of the switch religion espionage mission is now increased when trying to switch to a religion that is spread to fewer cities than the current religion.

=== Religion ===
* Added a new religion mechanic: existing religions may be removed from cities when a new religion is spread to them with a missionary. The following factors reduce the likelihood that a religion will be removed: number of religious buildings in the city, proximity to the holy city, the existence of the holy building (wherever it is), the turn the religion was founded (religions founded later will be less likely to be removed), the population of the city (larger cities are less likely to have religions removed). Note: the effects of this new religion system are actually very minor in the current version. It's a somewhat experimental feature.
* Adjusted the missionary spread probability. Bigger cities are now less likely to have religions fail to spread (and less likely to lose religions).
* Reduced the grip effect of religious shrines from 20 to 10. (This affects the probability that a religion will be bumped out of a city when a new missionary comes.)
* Increased the natural spread of religion, especially in very large cities and in cities with no (or few) religions.

=== Combat ===
* Combat bonus vs animals and barbarians is now based on player handicap level rather than game handicap level. (This just means that in multiplayer games when players has different difficulty settings they will get different bonuses.)

=== Other ===
* Nuclear Plant meltdowns no longer destroy buildings or population, but can still create fallout. [Meltdowns were far too powerful.]
* Made it possible to pillage ones own roads.
* Changed the game initialization to set the game handicap level to be the minimum of the human players' handicap levels. This is so that the AI does not default to "noble" in multiplayer games.
* Free technology bonuses from goody huts are now allowed without settling a city first.
* "Lost production" for units is now assigned to another unit of the same type (previously, it was converted into gold). With this change, it is possible to build more than one unit per turn. (Note: this does not affect normal production overflow. It only affects the production beyond the overflow limit.)
* Fixed a major performance problem in the original BtS code. The AI's turns will now take around half the time they took before. ie. The AI is now 100% faster.
* Victory votes now require a minimum number of "full members" rather than just "voting members". This means that the Apostolic Palace victory vote is only valid if there are at least 3 full members.
* Units will no longer automatically attack if they are ordered to move into an unseen enemy unit in the fog of war.
* Food resources which give less than 4 net food are now worth fewer food points to the start-position normalizer. (There is no longer any chance of having plains-cow as the sole food resource for a starting site.)
* Randomized the position of extra rivers and lakes added by the start-position normalizer, so that we don't always get a river on the south-east corner, and a lake on the north.
* The start-position normalizer will now not always try to create a river. (Previously it always tried but sometimes failed. Now it will fail less, and also try less.)
* The starting position normalizer now values river plots more highly than before.

The DLL changes in this mod (with the AI and OOS fixes and so much else) should totally become standard for the modding community someday. Just as a by-the-way.

I've never seen Civ4 come so close to actually making sense before. :O

Hmmm,

In my latest game, Egypt declared war on me around the early 1700s and would not make peace with me...even though they were fighting a continental war at the same time, so I beat their 6-7 naval invasions. Charlemagne declares war on me and takes a city, then I retake it. About 10 turns after that, 3 people, including long time friends involved in other wars, declare war on me in the same turn...

And I'm 3rd from last in points...not the tech leader...Im off away from the main continent...

I'm glad to hear that everything is working well. :)

v1.20 is now up. I'm particularly interested to hear if anyone has any problems with the new shift / alt / ctrl stuff. The controls should be exactly the same as before, but without the bugs! ... actually, I already know that the new system may sometimes get those keys wrong if you try to issue commands when your computer is too busy to deal with them - but I don't think that will ever happen unless you're trying to move stuff during the AI's turn or something. The new system has worked perfectly for me so far.

MadmanAtW, thanks for the list. I think that kind of list is useful to many people, but I decided early on that I didn't want to the work required to maintain such a list. The changelog and the git commit messages already take up most of my bureaucratic energy. :borg:

Charles555nc, that's sounds like bad luck... or poor diplomatic relations... or perhaps you look like an easy target for expansion or something. Good luck. :p

It is now possible to completely clear the production queue in automated cities. (The city governor will choose the production at the end of the turn.)

Great!
This also bothered me on quite a few occasions! :)

I'm playing on a Large -non too big or small- map, Epic gamespeed, cold weather (to slow down GW and make it affect the world in a more dynamic way, since lot of ice land becomes grassland later). Also with 18 civs and Noble difficulty.

I've disabled space and culture and time victories, in order to make the game really unending untill one nation really becomes dominant.

That's the best game ever played, the AI is really badass and succestully lands inter-continental invasions, or nukes my whole fleet with tactic nuke.

I think i cannot turn back to RoM or another mod whatsoever.

I got a infinite turn loop in 2051, i've attached the save!

Pls fix it i cant continue!

Attachments

• Danwood AD-2051-CivBeyondSwordSave.rar
    971 KB · Views: 60
:( just when everything seemed to be going so well.

Ok. I've used your save to find the problem. I've fixed it now and I'll upload a new version in a couple of minutes. (I just have to compile it, write a short change log, package it up, and upload it.)

I think it's interesting that global warming is only barely starting to take effect in your game, even though it is quite late in the game. Hannibal looks like he can't wait for things to start heating up - "Hittite" looks like it could use some warmer weather.

Anyway, check back for the new version in 5 mins or so.
Spoiler :
The good news for you is that Rome will discover gems next turn. :)

@karadoc

Thanks, great!

About GW, note that the game world is set to "Cold", so it should be normal since polar caps which protect the climate from GW are much more.

EDIT: also note this is my best game so far, and that's because of your mod which makes the AI really smart, so please keep this up!!

v1.20b Tested. Problem was fixed and the promised gem resourced discovered :p

Time to kick Inca's butt!

2 thoughts...

1. Have you ever thought about giving the AI 2 or 3 free warriors (and 2 or 3 free supply) and not giving them the free archery? I know your big about a not cheating ai. Just thought that would be worth a discussion.

2. How about an increased chance for religion to spread to you when you have 1. No religion in your land. 2. Have researched 2 or 3 religious techs. Would make early religious techs less of a gamble early on if someone keeps getting to them, a turn before you do.

:nuke:
For the first time in ages, I saw an OOS error in K-Mod yesterday. Fortunately, in this case I was able to work out how to reproduce the problem (by following a particular set actions from a particular save game). -- OOS errors are generally very difficult to debug... and in this case I spent basically the whole day trying to work out what was going wrong. This morning, I think I've finally worked it out.

I'm almost certain that the problem is caused by a mistake in the attitude cache from the CAR mod (which is included in K-Mod because it was a part of the BBAI mod when I started). I'm pretty annoyed about this, because I've already corrected a bag full of bugs in the CAR mod's attitude cache. It's been a massive pain in the arse.

The problem is in the way the attitude cache is implemented. Basically, if the cache isn't cleared every time anything happens which could make it invalid, then that's a potential source of OOS errors. The thing is, attitude already depends on heaps of different things, and it can be affected in heaps of subtle ways. It isn't easy to work out every possible way it could be affected. I've already fixed heaps of bits that were missed by the original authors of the CAR mod and the BBAI mod, and there may be more cases still to be discovered...
:cry:

As I see it, I have two options to deal with this problem.
  1. Remove the attitude cache completely.
  2. Add a kind of 'gatekeeper' to the cache which doesn't allow the cache to change from any human actions. (ie. the cache should only be used for the AI and for the game mechanics; and not for the user interface.)
Option #1 is easier, and safer. It would ensure that the damn attitude cache would never produce OOS errors again, and thus it would spell the end of a long nightmare for me... However, it make the game run slightly slower. My speed tests show that in the slowest cases, the attitude cache can save up to 100ms per turn. (That's on a huge map, full of players, in the late-stages of the game.)

Option #2 is more difficult to implement... but it would keep the speed gains of the attitude cache, and it should be relatively safe from OOS errors. The challenge would be that I'd need to check every different place where the attitude can be queried, and for each case I'd need to decide whether or not it is safe to use the cache. If I make a mistake, then it can be a potential source of OOS errors. I use a similar system with the building value cache that I introduced in K-Mod and I've never had any problems with that. -- But building value is easier to deal with because it is only accessed in a handful of places in the code; whereas attitude is accessed in heaps of different places, and it usually isn't accessed directly - so it would be easy for me to make a mistake.

The attitude cache is already in the game and most of the time it works alright, so I think it would be a bit of a shame to remove it. But on the other hand, it's a complete mess of an implementation; it has been very buggy in the past, and it's still prone to having more bugs introduced in the future if I ever decide to change anything to do with attitude in the game mechanics. It's a real hassle.

[edit]
actually, there are a couple of other options...
  • Just fix this particular OOS bug without adding any additional save-guards, and hope like hell that it is the last attitude cache problem; and that I don't screw it up again if I ever happen to change how attitude works.
  • Disable the cache in multiplayer games, to avoid OOS problems, but allow the cache to be used in single player games, where incorrect cache is a relatively minor problem.
[/edit]

So yeah. That's the big choice I have to make today. What do you think?

In other news, I've made some good AI improvements for the next version. In particular, I've fixed a couple of problems with the AI for overseas wars. I've also removed a minor cheat that the AI used which was introduced in the BBAI mod. Basically, there was a special case programmed into the AI which allowed it to teleport units into boats that were standing on an adjacent plot. The units didn't need to use any movement points - they'd just jump into the boat using this special rule. I don't know why the BBAI dude wanted the AI to cheat in this way, and I think it's silly - so I removed it. (I would have removed it ages ago, but I only recently noticed it.)

Aside from the OOS stuff, I'm working on improving the way the AI decides when to build 'projects', such as spaceship parts and the Manhattan project. In my view, the AI's main weakness in its space-race strategy is that it doesn't build the parts fast enough. So I'm aiming to fix that. And while I was fixing it I noticed that the AI for all the other projects is completely bork. For example, for the Manhattan project, the AI doesn't take into account whether they want war, or whether they are at war, or even whether they have uranium or not. They don't really consider anything at all... they just build it randomly, sometimes, ... and only very rarely. -- That's going to change in the next version. (They still aren't going to build it very often, because I think it's best to let the human player decide whether or not the game should have nukes... but they will at least built it sometimes when they think it would be helpful to them.)

@Charles555nc, I haven't really considered taking away the free archery. But considering it briefly now, my thoughts are basically this: I don't consider any of the AI's difficulty-level bonuses to be cheating. I see them as just being part of the rules of the game; and if the player really wants to be on equal footing with the AI, then they should set the difficulty-level to Nobel. Also, free warriors and free supply would still be bonus that human players weren't getting... so I'm not sure why that would be better than free Archery. The warriors (instead of the archer) would make it easier for the AI to explore and expand, but slightly harder for the AI to defend itself...

Incidentally, you may be interested to know that K-Mod actually removes a bunch of free supply that the AI usually gets in the unmodded game. The original code looks like this:
Code:
if (!isHuman())
{
	if (GET_TEAM(getTeam()).hasMetHuman())
	{
		iFreeUnits += getNumCities(); // XXX
		iFreeMilitaryUnits += getNumCities(); // XXX
	}
}
This code was removed by the BBAI mod. The removal of those freebies is costing the AI a lot of gold over a full game...

Regarding religion. There is already an increased chance for spread when you have no religion. I haven't considered the extra spread chance from having religion techs though...

I think you are exactly right about the close balance of

Free archery

vs

2 or 3 free warriors (plus 2 or 3 free supply)

For me, I would like option B, because it would maybe give the human player more of a chance at religion (if you are non spiritual civ), more of a chance at completing early wonders at a higher difficulty, more of a chance period if you spawn close to the Malinese, more of a chance if you have no nearby copper/horses and the ai does, a more even early game warfare playing field (you, as a human player, have to sacrafice alot of options to get archery early) and Im almost always in favor of tech progression being slowed down to get more of a feel for the ages. I wouldnt mind the ai extending its army by 2 or 3 extra units for free (and would allow the ai a slight 2 or 3 gold per turn so it isnt slowed down much by now having to research archery, and 2/3 unit extra "beefyness").

Just a different feel than a radical change...I mean you could code 2 warriors to stay in the ai cap for the first 50 turns (I play on epic speed) to prevent any early game capital/worker loss and have the 3rd warrior scout. I think an intelligent human player might do the same, knowing how potentially untrustable another real human player can be.

Also very interesting, you telling us about the older bbai code. I enjoy feeling like your mod is evolving to be more challenging in an enjoyable way.

[edit]
actually, there are a couple of other options...
  • Just fix this particular OOS bug without adding any additional save-guards, and hope like hell that it is the last attitude cache problem; and that I don't screw it up again if I ever happen to change how attitude works.
  • Disable the cache in multiplayer games, to avoid OOS problems, but allow the cache to be used in single player games, where incorrect cache is a relatively minor problem.
[/edit]

I would go with these 2 options
As you said you already gone through all of the attitude cache, so you may easily hope it was the last bug. Also OOS was already very rare in K-Mod based on various feedback you got here...
Even if later some mystic OOS bug appears, you can switch to option B fairly easily

I'll have to check again but I've gotten python exceptions when i hover over/try to add specialists and when i check my odds to attack a unit with my units. I think both where info display errors.

May of been 1.18 or 1.19 thou pretty sure my last game was 1.20b

I would go with these 2 options
As you said you already gone through all of the attitude cache, so you may easily hope it was the last bug. Also OOS was already very rare in K-Mod based on various feedback you got here...
Even if later some mystic OOS bug appears, you can switch to option B fairly easily
I think that's good advice. That's what I'll do.
I'd like for the mod to run without the users have any concern about what to do if there is an OOS error or anything like that... I'd like for it to run flawlessly. But I think it's pretty clear that there will always be the risk of some bugs in the game. (Someone I know once said to me that when programming, the number of bugs asymptotes to a non-zero number... which is probably true, and somewhat depressing.)
So anyway, it's probably worth keeping the speed boost from this nasty nasty cache; at least for the time being.

I'll have to check again but I've gotten python exceptions when i hover over/try to add specialists and when i check my odds to attack a unit with my units. I think both where info display errors.

It would be quite strange if K-Mod is causing python exceptions for such basic tasks; because no one else has reported those errors. I suggest that you completely delete the K-Mod folder and then reinstall it. Let me know if you still get the same problem.

Is your Custom Assets folder is empty?

Top Bottom