KaTiON's Space Maps

@Snofru1 Remove all the ice. :)
No, ice feature is needed for some buildings.
Just remove ice on two lines closest to space both on south and north poles and on alien world.
And replace terrain with mountains - barbarians can't spawn on mountains hopefully.

If barbs can´t spawn on mountains why isn´t it possible to disallow them to spawn in space?

But thanks for the infos raxo and also thanks to KaTiON_PT for adapting the map!

Keep in mind you can do it in worldbuilder so you don't need to start a new game!

If barbs can´t spawn on mountains why isn´t it possible to disallow them to spawn in space?

But thanks for the infos raxo and also thanks to KaTiON_PT for adapting the map!
Space internally is treated as flat land type.
Barbarian city spawning doesn't see map categories probably.

@Snofru1 I've seen barbs also spawning in Mercury, probably from the ice terrain. Do remove it and replace it with mercury type.

EDIT: It can also spawn on Lunar Mare.

Last edited:
@Snofru1 I've seen barbs also spawning in Mercury, probably from the ice terrain. Do remove it and replace it with mercury type.

EDIT: It can also spawn on Lunar Mare.
Looks like Moon and Mercury have ice feature.

Ice has terrain (ice on solid land) and feature (ice on water) versions.
Ice feature should be placed only on polar waters.

Last edited:
Are rivers, oasis or other sources of fresh water at these resources?

Not needed. Prior to version 10012, I saw cities on the moon or mars desert only on or near a stone, for example. Ice terrains (Mars or the Moon) are also near (in the first radius) was not.

It is a simple matter of adding in a map category restriction to the barb city spawning code.

Barb cities can spawn on pretty much all tiles regardless of there being fresh water or stone resource or any other resource in close proximity.
They often end up around the good stuff because the code ask how much the AI would value the plot as a city founding site (strategic resources, and fresh water are valued high by the AI), the plot on the landmass with the highest value will get barb cities.

A little sneak peak of the standard solar system layout (110x55) that's on the final drafts, following @raxo2222 guide on how to properly map space features. ;) Each "pixel" represents a tile.

Attachments

• SSS.png
    SSS.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
A little sneak peak of the standard solar system layout (110x55) that's on the final drafts, following @raxo2222 guide on how to properly map space features. ;) Each "pixel" represents a tile.
@pepper2000 implemented several buildings, that need both gas giant terrain and one of its moons to be in city vicinity.

This means you should place moons and gas giants close enough, so city being placed between them would see something like this:
M - Gas giant moon
S - Space tile
C - One of deep space cities, doesn't have to be on planet
S - Space tile
G - Gas giant
But then you won't be able to build buildings needing Jovian map category - that is any planet/moon or asteroid/kuiper belt object terrain except for Moon, Mars, Venus and Titan.

If you want both Jovian buildings - that is representing colony on planetary surface and gas giant + its moon in city vicinity, then you need to place tiles like this:

M - Gas giant moon
S - Space tile
G - Gas giant.
Only one gas giant moon city has to be like this.

Last edited:
Thank you. How about interstellar objects that have stars and planets around them, how far apart?

Thank you. How about interstellar objects that have stars and planets around them, how far apart?
There you can go much more creative.
But star terrain (red dwarf and red giant, sunlike star) has Plasma category and transtellar terrain has Interstellar category, this means different sets of buildings depending if you build city on star terrain or somewhere else.
I made screenshots of my whole space map.
Planet features brown/white dwarfs shouldn't be on stars, as you can place different improvements on stars and planet features.
I made red dwarfs have two tiles, sunlike stars - 4 tiles and red giants - 9 tiles.
I made guide to space terrains and features.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/we-need-space-maps.630665/page-2#post-15091518

Star systems should be placed in such manner, that no cities (2 tile radius) would overlap with each other.

Farther out zones are homogeneous - that is all terrains in Orion Arm and farther sectors share same type of map category allowing for even bigger creativity.

On Milky Way there should be one big central galactic core just like cislunar zone has Moon to represent galaxy like ours.
Cities have 20 tiles to place workers (corners are cut, and it occupies one tile by itself).
Even on 9 tiles sun it would have 11 transtellar tiles.

Last edited:
Earth (standard) part is almost mapped, still need to add Asia+Oceania and change biomes to better reflect how they are in reality.

Really happy how well it's turning out given the lower resolution, see attachment for three examples, some elements still need revision, like the English channel or southern Scandinavia.

Regarding resources I can go in two ways, either I place a lot of them on the map to better represent their real life locations, or I place few resources that represent only the most massive production zones, the latter allows more strategic gameplay while the former allows the game to be more fair across civilizations, thoughts?

Attachments

• 20180406183952_1.jpg
    20180406183952_1.jpg
    906.1 KB · Views: 333
  • 20180406184000_1.jpg
    20180406184000_1.jpg
    570.3 KB · Views: 301
  • 20180406184312_1.jpg
    20180406184312_1.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 304
Earth (standard) part is almost mapped, still need to add Asia+Oceania and change biomes to better reflect how they are in reality.

Really happy how well it's turning out given the lower resolution, see attachment for three examples, some elements still need revision, like the English channel or southern Scandinavia.

Regarding resources I can go in two ways, either I place a lot of them on the map to better represent their real life locations, or I place few resources that represent only the most massive production zones, the latter allows more strategic gameplay while the former allows the game to be more fair across civilizations, thoughts?
There are resource/terrain/feature combinations, that will allow to create culture "wonders".

I didn't sort cultures to continents though.

Apparently I have very outdated culture list.

Last edited:
There are resource/terrain/feature combinations, that will allow to create culture "wonders".

I didn't sort cultures to continents though.

No worry I can infer that by the civilization names, thanks for the list though, it will help considerably.

Earth part is finished, only missing resource placement. Thoughts regarding its biomes arrangements?

Attachments

• Earth.jpg
    Earth.jpg
    831 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Top Bottom