KaTiON's Space Maps

Earth part is finished, only missing resource placement. Thoughts regarding its biomes arrangements?
Are Taiga/Tundra/Permafrost/Ice terrains used?
Taiga would have forests on it, tundra would be without forsests, permafrost would be farther out than tunda and ice terrains would be on nothernmost/southtern most part of map.
Taiga and permafrost looks very similar.
Tundra is darker.
Are Rocky/Barren/Jagged/Badland terrains used too?

Spoiler :

17 Earth land terrains in 2x2 squares.
Grassland, Lush, Plains, Barren, Rocky
Badland, Jagged, Desert, Scrub, Dunes, Salt flats
Taiga, Tundra, Permafrost, Ice, Marsh Muddy

Last edited:
Inner and Outer space portions are finished. Their combined area is the same as Earth's portion (110x55).

All that's left to do is to map the area outside of our solar system (transneptunian up to unobservable universe).

Attachments

• Space.jpg
    Space.jpg
    625.6 KB · Views: 249
Inner and Outer space portions are finished. Their combined area is the same as Earth's portion (110x55).

All that's left to do is to map the area outside of our solar system (transneptunian up to unobservable universe).
Looks very good.
Is Earth separated from Cislunar space with 3 tiles of Orbit?
It is to account 3 tiles radius from culture or metropolitian administration effect that @pepper2000 didn't applied yet?
This way your cislunar cities wouldn't be able to work on Earth tiles at all, as you can't build them on orbit.
You have to remove asteroid features from Cislunar space - there are no asteroids within Earth hill sphere.
Extraterrestrial craters are nice but are useless for now and you can't build any improvements on them.
Remove volcanoes from planets/moons - they created forested hills after long time.
Saturn's rings shouldn't envelop its moons, just envelop Saturn, as planetary rings may not have their uses yet.
Place small moon feature within two tiles of gas giants and their moons.
One of them per gas giant moon should be enough.

By the way I updated culture list, so you can see what culture is on which continent and what resources/terrain/feature they need.
Also there is list of features applicable on given terrains.

Also even smallest gas giant moon should be good enough for 3 cities on Jovian map category, that have gas giant moon in city vicinity.

Attachments

• Stuff.xls
    309.5 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Is Earth separated from Cislunar space with 3 tiles of Orbit?
It is to account 3 tiles radius from culture or metropolitian administration effect that @pepper2000 didn't applied yet?

Yes, more exactly 2 tiles with actual orbit terrain and 1 tile (that's next to the moon) with cis-lunar terrain. The Earth also has two tile thick mountains before space to avoid barbarian spawning.

You have to remove asteroid features from Cislunar space - there are no asteroids within Earth hill sphere. Extraterrestrial craters are nice but are useless for now and you can't build any improvements on them. Remove volcanoes from planets/moons - they created forested hills after long time. Saturn's rings shouldn't envelop its moons, just envelop Saturn, as planetary rings may not have their uses yet.

Done!

Place small moon feature within two tiles of gas giants and their moons.
One of them per gas giant moon should be enough.

Gas giant moons are 1 tile away from each gas giant.

By the way I updated culture list, so you can see what culture is on which continent and what resources/terrain/feature they need.
Also there is list of features applicable on given terrains.

Thanks.

EDIT: Regarding the small gas giant moon size, maybe an extra line of area is enough for three cities if they are placed close to each other?

Last edited:
Yes, more exactly 2 tiles with actual orbit terrain and 1 tile (that's next to the moon) with cis-lunar terrain. The Earth also has two tile thick mountains before space to avoid barbarian spawning.
Third layer of Orbit then would exactly glue moon to cislunar space then.
On beginning of space race you would build stations on Orbit terrain.

Shame entire spacemap can't be raised with ease by couple tiles to have this composition:
Moon
Cislunar
Cislunar
Cislunar
City on Cislunar
Orbit
Orbit
Orbit
Earth

In this way you could make cislunar cities being glued to orbit everywhere without encroaching Moon/Earth tiles.

Gas giant moons are 1 tile away from each gas giant.
Small Moon is feature like forest, it can be directly bordering gas giant moon or be 1 tile far from it.

Third layer of Orbit then would exactly glue moon to cislunar space then.
On beginning of space race you would build stations on Orbit terrain.

Shame entire spacemap can't be raised with ease by couple tiles to have this composition:
Moon
Cislunar
Cislunar
Cislunar
City on Cislunar
Orbit
Orbit
Orbit
Earth

In this way you could make cislunar cities being glued to orbit everywhere without encroaching Moon/Earth tiles.

It actually can with a simple replace function in Notepad+!

Small Moon is feature like forest, it can be directly bordering gas giant moon or be 1 tile far from it.

Oh I see now, thanks for clarifying.

It actually can with a simple replace function in Notepad+!
Map is sorted like this:
BeginPlot
x=0,y=0
TerrainType=TERRAIN_SUN
PlotType=2
EndPlot
BeginPlot
x=0,y=1
TerrainType=TERRAIN_INNER_SOLAR_SYSTEM
PlotType=2
EndPlot

First height then width like this

5 10 15
4 9 14
3 8 13
2 7 12
1 6 11

EDIT: Regarding the small gas giant moon size, maybe an extra line of area is enough for three cities if they are placed close to each other?

You can have 3 cities being on Jovian map category (representing solar system objects other than Moon, Mars, Venus and Titan) and having gas giant moon in city vicinity.
But you can expand these moons by 2 - 3 tiles in width (ones below Saturn, Uranus and Neptune) to be comparable to Jovian moons.
That is you can place cities on edge of Gas Giants (won't work for Titan though) and on their moons.

What are these dots on Jupiter and Saturn?

By the way 2x2 Kuiper Belt Object behind Neptune on midway "longitude" between Uranus and Neptune would be nice - it would represent Pluto/Charon.
It is only KBO that is in Outer Solar System.
Can be on border with Transneptunian space like this:
KBO; Transneptunian Space
KBO; Outer Solar System

Also one or two Asteroid Surfaces would be nice in Inner Solar System.
Unless upper line of Asteroid Belt is in Outer Solar System and lower line of Asteroid Belt is already in Inner Solar System.
Asteroid Terrains and Features; Outer Solar System
Asteroid Terrains and Features; Inner Solar System

Last edited:
What are these dots on Jupiter and Saturn?

Helium 3.

By the way 2x2 Kuiper Belt Object behind Neptune on midway "longitude" between Uranus and Neptune would be nice - it would represent Pluto/Charon.

It is only KBO that is in Outer Solar System.
Can be on border with Transneptunian space like this:
KBO; Transneptunian Space
KBO; Outer Solar System

What terrain should I use for them? Sednoid, KBO or small moon?

Also one or two Asteroid Surfaces would be nice in Inner Solar System.
Unless upper line of Asteroid Belt is in Outer Solar System and lower line of Asteroid Belt is already in Inner Solar System.

You are correct. Half of the asteroid belt is Inner Solar System while the other is in Outer Solar System.

And here's the rest of the cosmos. Only thing preventing me of releasing the map is that Earth lacks bonuses as those take a bit to get the location right.

Attachments

• Cosmos.jpg
    Cosmos.jpg
    679.7 KB · Views: 227
Helium 3.
Here is gude to space resources:

- Iron/Bauxite/Titanum Ore, CO2 Ice and Helium3 - must be placed on Moon, these are ones, that can be extracted on Moon.
- Organic Volatiles. On asteroid/KBO terrains or features.
- Metallic Asteroid. Metal-rich asteroid wherever in the solar system asteroids are found.
- Martian Blueberries. On Mars.
- Extraterrestrial Microbes. Wherever in the solar system (other than Earth) there might be microbial life.
- Xenoflora. Native plant life in planets outside the Solar System.
- Xenofauna. Native animal life in planets outside the solar system.
- Abandoned Civilization. In the galaxy, some long lost civilization.
- Abandoned Megastructure. The astroengineering ruins of some advanced civilization, outside the galaxy.
- Exotic Lifeforms. Things like space whales that are found near our beyond the edge of the observable universe.
- Quantonium Crystal. Not new but now it can be found outside the observable universe.

Lunar resources can be extracted, others just increase tile yields for now.

What terrain should I use for them? Sednoid, KBO or small moon?
KBO.

Sednoid and Small Moon are features like forest.

And here's the rest of the cosmos. Only thing preventing me of releasing the map is that Earth lacks bonuses as those take a bit to get the location right.
I would prefer if zones were stacked on each other like Solar System.

Also there is no need for blackholes in Interstellar, Local Group and Virgo cluster zone - they are unusable in these zones.

Red dwarfs should have two tiles so you can place star related improvement on it.
Sunlike star should be + shaped and cover 5 tiles like this:
---S
S S S
---S

Transtellar space has 8 different types of planet frastures and two types of star features.
Rogue planet should be far from stars, you can place it close to oort cloud on transtellar space zone.

Local Group shouldn't have any groups of galaxies, just single dots of Dwarf Galaxies.
You can place few normal Galaxy features too.

Only Virgo Cluster may have clumped galaxies and dwarf galaxies.

Observable Universe should have quasars closer at Unobservable Universe edges.
It should be placed on Observable Universe tiles.

Heres guide.

Last edited:
I have been using your guide thoroughly this whole time, its quite useful.

About Helium 3, don't the gas giants have a lot of it? Or is there a building that auto mines it in a city?

I would prefer if zones were stacked on each other like Solar System.

Me too, but map would be too large that way so I had to make a compromise.

KBO. Sednoid and Small Moon are features like forest.

Red dwarfs should have two tiles so you can place star related improvement on it.
Sunlike star should be + shaped and cover 5 tiles like this:
---S
S S S
---S

Observable Universe should have quasars closer at Unobservable Universe edges.
It should be placed on Observable Universe tiles.

Done!

Also there is no need for blackholes in Interstellar, Local Group and Virgo cluster zone - they are unusable in these zones.

Though can they be left for flavor/appearance?

Transtellar space has 8 different types of planet frastures and two types of star features.

I can confirm all are present on the map.

Rogue planet should be far from stars, you can place it close to oort cloud on transtellar space zone.

Will do.

Local Group shouldn't have any groups of galaxies, just single dots of Dwarf Galaxies. You can place few normal Galaxy features too. Only Virgo Cluster may have clumped galaxies and dwarf galaxies.

I see, so each tile represents a galaxy? I thought we were meant to "draw" one with that. By the way isn't Andromeda on our local group?

I have been using your guide thoroughly this whole time, its quite useful.
I found few mistakes in it, so I updated.

About Helium 3, don't the gas giants have a lot of it? Or is there a building that auto mines it in a city?
They have a lot of it, as well Mercury poles, but there is no way to extract it on other planets than Moon yet.
For now players would be confused as to why they can't extract it from gas giants and Mercury.

Me too, but map would be too large that way so I had to make a compromise.
You are using Standard Earth (84x52) Map as base, it still would be smaller than THPEP Vertical Solar map that has 120x200 = 24 000 tiles.
Extragalactic zones can be 10 tiles high.

Though can they be left for flavor/appearance?
Nope, there is no black holes within 100 light years representing transtellar space.
Also supermassive black holes are present in every galaxy, so there is no point of having them in Local Group and Virgo Supercluster.

I see, so each tile represents a galaxy? I thought we were meant to "draw" one with that. By the way isn't Andromeda on our local group?
Local Group and Virgo Supercluster represent empty space between galaxies and groups of galaxies.
Andromeda and other big galaxies can be represented by Galaxy feature.
Small galaxies are represented by Dwarf Galaxy.

Local group - you put single galaxy features.
Virgo Supercluster - you draw groups of galaxies.

Last edited:
You are using Standard Earth (84x52) Map as base, it still would be smaller than THPEP Vertical Solar map that has 120x200 = 24 000 tiles.
Extragalactic zones can be 10 tiles high.

Full map is 110x165 or about 18150 tiles. Earth portion is 110x55. Had to make it wider (2:1 ratio) to make earth fit properly.

Nope, there is no black holes within 100 light years representing transtellar space.
Also supermassive black holes are present in every galaxy, so there is no point of having them in Local Group and Virgo Supercluster.

Thanks, removed.

Local Group and Virgo Supercluster represent empty space between galaxies and groups of galaxies.
Andromeda and other big galaxies can be represented by Galaxy feature.
Small galaxies are represented by Dwarf Galaxy.

Local group - you put single galaxy features.
Virgo Supercluster - you draw groups of galaxies.

I see now, once I return home I'll change it.

Wanted to give you my deepest thanks for the time you've been dedicating to help me out @raxo2222, thank you.

Full map is 110x165 or about 18150 tiles. Earth portion is 110x55. Had to make it wider (2:1 ratio) to make earth fit properly.
Don't be afraid to make map containing 20 000 tiles as it won't make much difference - there shouldn't be AIs after you enter Galactic era IMO.
Just NPCs representing aliens, when they get implemented.
Also it won't change memory consumption much.

Earth is bit bigger than Standard (4368 tiles) size, as has 6050 tiles then.
Large sized map has 6656 tiles - your Earth is bit smaller than Large map.
Giant map has 160x100 = 16 000 tiles.

Top Bottom