KaTiON's Space Maps

Don't more tiles also mean more processing time, or higher risk of someone getting a MAF?

Once I start working on the standard alien map I will go with the standard 84x52 size as you don't need to worry with recognizing proportions there, that allows me much more freedom to make all zones stacked.

Don't more tiles also mean more processing time, or higher risk of someone getting a MAF?

Once I start working on the standard alien map I will go with the standard 84x52 size as you don't need to worry with recognizing proportions there, that allows me much more freedom to make all zones stacked.
Processing time depends mainly on number of AIs, amount of cities and buildings in cities on maps.
My space map have 11200 tiles and I used only 1.7 GB of RAM on end game after freshly loading save and 1.3 GB when starting new game on it.
2.9 GB is limit for Civ4.

Bigger maps gets slower because not only there may be more AI, but they also build more cities.

By the way Vertical Solar map with 24 000 tiles is already in mod.

Last edited:
@raxo2222 your guide talks that hyperspace can optionally be in unobservable universe, how much do you think is a good amount?
4 tiles thick wall of Hyperspace on top of map would be ideal way to include it - it would be basically another space zone.

Cities have radius of 2 normally and they can work on radius of 3 if they get enough culture and optionally Metropolitian Administration (Metropolitian Administration effect isn't implemented for space colonies yet).

Having Hyperspace already here would make endgame smoother, as first you need to terraform tile to hyperspace before terraforming hyperspace to even more exotic spacetime forms.

Here is how it would look:
-----------------Top map edge------
Hyperspace
Hyperspace
Hyperspace
Hyperspace - Cities would be placed in line here
Unobservable Universe

@raxo2222 following your guide on resources and I found this entry.

Kitara | Beavers | Coast | Africa

It this correct?
Yes.
@Hydromancerx wikipedia says there are no beavers in Africa.
I guess its same issue as potatoes in Africa.
Basically he was using some animals/plants as it was wider category of them, not just beavers and potatoes themselves, but animals and plants that are similar.

Last edited:
Yes.
@Hydromancerx wikipedia says there are no beavers in Africa.
I guess its same issue as potatoes in Africa.
Basically he was using some animals/plants as it was wider category of them, not just beavers and potatoes themselves, but animals and plants that are similar.
A lot of these new ones were defined by Sparth who was looking to make it more possible for getting cultures if you ended up in an abnormal biome for the underlying heritage.

Alright, I believe everything is in order for the Earth with solar system map (Standard Solar System for short). Testing now ensues.

I tried following @raxo2222 suggestion to the best of my abilities in regards to space mapping and resource placements. Most resources were placed relative to their real life origins or deposits, however (i.e. corn in America and cows in Afro-Eurasia), so use and abuse great farmers! Some compromises had to be made to make the map smaller and less prone to lag and MAFs so I apologize for any mistakes. Do suggest any changes you might find needing, like resources being in the wrong place or different names for each civilization and leaders for I haven't thought of any good one yet.

I'll add pictures later. To download go to the attachment at the start of this thread.

Standard Solar System (v1)
  • Release version

Standard Solar System (v1)
  • Release version
You placed some resources, that are completely unusable in space (in Solar System part).
That is there is no improvement, that can extract them, they will only confuse people.
He3 and Co2 Ice should be only in Moon poles.

Only these resources are allowed to be in space:
- Iron/Bauxite/Titanum Ore, CO2 Ice and Helium3 - must be placed on Moon, these are ones, that can be extracted on Moon.
- Organic Volatiles. On asteroid/KBO terrains or features.
- Metallic Asteroid. Metal-rich asteroid wherever in the solar system asteroids are found.
- Martian Blueberries. On Mars.
- Extraterrestrial Microbes. Wherever in the solar system (other than Earth) there might be microbial life.
- Xenoflora. Native plant life in planets outside the Solar System.
- Xenofauna. Native animal life in planets outside the solar system.
- Abandoned Civilization. In the galaxy, some long lost civilization.
- Abandoned Megastructure. The astroengineering ruins of some advanced civilization, outside the galaxy.
- Exotic Lifeforms. Things like space whales that are found near our beyond the edge of the observable universe.
- Quantonium Crystal. Not new but now it can be found outside the observable universe.

Also nice one galaxy "groups" in Virgo Supercluster.
They should be lumped in groups.

So it seems you didn't stack space zones (after Outer Solar System) after all.
Then Quasars and Exotic Life may be spread all over Observable Universe.

Even if you stacked them map still would be smaller than Vertical Solar, that has 24 000 tiles.
And Vertical Solar is includes in mod.

Last edited:
@raxo2222 I will stack the zones, do not worry about it, but that takes a bit of time, as you would have to modify the text file directly to increase the number of plots. So I released the map now to beta test.

Thanks for noticing the resources, wasn't aware only those could be placed in space. I thought those were the ones that were mandatory to exist in it.

I will also update the virgo issue so no need to worry.

EDIT: Some issues I noticed thus far that will be fixed when the next version is out:
  • More than one aurora borealis (oops, didn't knew they were WoN)
  • Krakatoa in Kamchatka Peninsula
  • Himalayas with volcanoes, probably related to rocky terrain?

Last edited:
@raxo2222 I will stack the zones, do not worry about it, but that takes a bit of time, as you would have to modify the text file directly to increase the number of plots. So I released the map now to beta test.

Thanks for noticing the resources, wasn't aware only those could be placed in space. I thought those were the ones that were mandatory to exist in it.

I will also update the virgo issue so no need to worry.

EDIT: Some issues I noticed thus far that will be fixed when the next version is out:
  • More than one aurora borealis (oops, didn't knew they were WoN)
  • Krakatoa in Kamchatka Peninsula
  • Himalayas with volcanoes, probably related to rocky terrain?
Are caves near every civ starting point?

Why Middle East civ isn't placed between India and Arabian peninsula?
India would be easy to claim for Arabia even here.
Spoiler :

Also it would be nice if continental culture civs would have more distinguishable names.
Now you have to click any civ and then in next screen see in what places are continental civs.

Also order can be changed so civs would do turns in following order:
North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Middle East, Asia and Oceania.
Also Oceania will have nice game of island hopping.
Good thing, that you can build cities on resources without losing access to them.
Also you can place one tile of salt flat on other continents, that have deserts too.

In my playtests the Middle Eastern civilization would encroach north into the plains and cut the European one and the Asian one would get the rich lands of India, making it too powerful. This way every civilization will get roughly the same amount of area during the mid game (medieval) when everything gets filled.

Oh and I asked earlier for suggestions of names as those in the game are placeholders.

As for the last one, sure thing.

In my playtests the Middle Eastern civilization would encroach north into the plains and cut the European one and the Asian one would get the rich lands of India, making it too powerful. This way every civilization will get roughly the same amount of area during the mid game (medieval) when everything gets filled.
Ah its fine then.
By the way flood plains shouldn't be on Lush terrain.
I also made guide to feature placement on terrains for Earth.

As for leaders and civ names you could use most famous ancient civs.

Attachments

• Stuff.xls
    309.5 KB · Views: 232
@raxo2222 thanks for the guide. By the way do you have any suggestion for the leader portraits too or are those ok at the moment?
Leader portraits would be automatically selected if you choose civcs and their leaders.

I added list of civilizations by cultures.

I would suggest these civs, as they are ancient and pretty famous.
North America - Aztec
South America - Inca
Europe - Greece
Africa - Egypt
Middle East - Babylon
Asia - China
Oceania - Aborigines

Attachments

• Stuff.xls
    311.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
@raxo2222 The plan at the moment it to make the extra galactic part 110 tiles high (so 13.75 tiles on average per zone). Which zones do you feel should be larger and which ones should be smaller? In the end the total map will be 110x220 or 24200 tiles.

@raxo2222 The plan at the moment it to make the extra galactic part 110 tiles high (so 13.75 tiles on average per zone). Which zones do you feel should be larger and which ones should be smaller? In the end the total map will be 110x220 or 24200 tiles.
Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Observable Universe and Unobservable Universe doesn't have to be very thick, as they are very homogeneous.
110 tiles is enough for 15 cities utilizing 3rd radius, when placed in single line.

List of zone thickness:
Earth: 57 tiles
Orbit: 3 tiles
Cislunar: 15 tiles
Inner Solar System: 17 tiles.
Outer Solar System: 22 tiles.
Stacked height: 114 tiles (zones beyond Outer Solar System aren't stacked on top of each other).

In these zones you want to build cities on KBOs and stars. In Transtellar you have to make choice between Interstellar and Plasma map categories when settling.
In those two zones you should place KBOs/Stars terrains, in such way that cities would never steal plots from each other.
Transneptunian has Jovian map zones on KBO terrain, but no need for them to be bigger than 2 tiles per KBO - 17 tiles.
Transtellar has fairly big stars up to 3x3 in size (Plamsa category for Star terrain) - 20 tiles.

These zones utilize only single map category in them.
Orion Arm is more uniform than Transneptunian space - 13 tiles.
Milky Way mirrors Cislunar space with Galactic Core - 15 tiles.
Local Group is very uniform (single square features) - 10 tiles.
Virgo Cluster is very uniform and has (dwarf) galaxy features lumped in groups. - 10 tiles.

Due to extreme uniformity you can place single line of cities, 15 each of them utilizing 3 radius square.
Observable Universe is extremely uniform - 7 tiles.
Unobservable Universe is extremely uniform - 7 tiles.
Hyperspace - Cities can be placed inside zone - 7 tiles as to not steal tiles from Unobservable Universe.
This means 106 tiles thickness in total.

220 tiles in height would be used.

Cities with 5x5 working zone (standard) have cut corners.
Cities with 7X7 zones have chiseled off corners.
Spoiler :

In red square its working radius of 2.
Non water tiles is working radius of 3.
Water tiles is what city can't touch.

Last edited:
For some reason the map keeps crashing on initializing graphics and the logs do not tell what is wrong, maybe the map is too large?

Attachments

• Standard Earth v2.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
  • Logs.zip
    440.4 KB · Views: 170
Top Bottom