[R&F] Keep industrial era cities appearance in modern era

Shoryn

Chieftain
Hi there !
I searched in all the forums and steam workshop for this but found nothing. There was a time when a mod doing this existed on steam but doesn't anymore...

Basically, I find the city appearance in industrial era more fitting the modern era, which should take place between 1910 and 1950. The glass skycrapers seems really out of place when still using musketeers as main infantry. Does anyone knows how this could be implemented in a mod ?

Cheers :)

Hi there :)
So I looked for it myself and found that it's pretty easy and just need one small change in eras.artdef file.
However this is changing every landmark to stay at the industrial look during modern era, which is fine, but I was curious if there was a way to do it only for cities. I tried to edit cities.artdef, but no luck.

Hi there :)
So I looked for it myself and found that it's pretty easy and just need one small change in eras.artdef file.
However this is changing every landmark to stay at the industrial look during modern era, which is fine, but I was curious if there was a way to do it only for cities. I tried to edit cities.artdef, but no luck.
Hi Shoryn! How you did it?:) I attempted to change eras in art def file but without success
thank you!

I had the same thought, and was so desperate to find a mod that did this that I resolved to do it myself. Thanks for the pointer to eras.artdef, if I have success there I'll post it

I had the same thought, and was so desperate to find a mod that did this that I resolved to do it myself. Thanks for the pointer to eras.artdef, if I have success there I'll post it

Hi,
way in my PC :C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\ArtDefs

Change ARTERA_MODERN to ARTERA_INDUSTRIAL

and enjoy :)

upload_2019-1-16_21-59-49.png

That worked, thank you!

Is there a mod somewhere that does that already that I haven't seen?
Hi Dude211212, I didnt find any mod. If you can create mod lets do it! I would like to help but I dont have idea how it works:(
I guess many players would by happy. The glass skycrapers are super ugly. Civ designers think that cities in 19. and beginning of 20. centrury looks like Manhattan in 21. century.
Sorry for my english, it is not my first language

Since Gathering Storm I can no longer get this to work. All I seem able to do with twiddling the Eras.artdef file is remove the industrial art style when im trying to extend it to the modern era they seem to have changed how the file is laid out.

The 'Modern' era building set is so unfitting for the Modern era considering its meant to be 1890-1945 most cities dont even look like that now!

I think I got it to work.
In addition to what Jonas32 did, you now also have to scroll down to where the <m_CollectionName text="ArtEra"/> element starts (in Notepad++ it's line 464). Then you have to move the part that has ERA_MODERN as ElementName into the Collection above, just below the Element that has ERA_INDUSTRIAL. Then you have to rename the "Civ6_Eras_Eras" within the ERA_MODERN element to "Civ6_Eras_Eras001". Finally, you have to scroll down and change the "Civ6_Eras_Eras" names for both ERA_ATOMIC and ERA_INFORMATION to fit accordingly (Civ6_Eras_Eras for ERA_ATOMIC and Civ6_Eras_Eras001 for ERA_INFORMATION").

Or you can just try out my own file here which I've attached. It should work, at least I've just started a game in the Modern era and the cities retain their Industrial era look (I also cheated myself a Modern era tech and advanced a couple turns just to make sure, the skyscrapers only appeared after I researched an Atomic era tech). Make sure to backup your original file though, just in case.

You might also want to edit Cities.artdef to give Modern era cities the Industrial look in Strategic View, but it's not that much of a big deal I believe.

Attachments

• Eras.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 183
In addition to what Jonas32 did, you now also have to scroll down to where the <m_CollectionName text="ArtEra"/> element starts (in Notepad++ it's line 464). Then you have to move the part that has ERA_MODERN as ElementName into the Collection above, just below the Element that has ERA_INDUSTRIAL. Then you have to rename the "Civ6_Eras_Eras" within the ERA_MODERN element to "Civ6_Eras_Eras001". Finally, you have to scroll down and change the "Civ6_Eras_Eras" names for both ERA_ATOMIC and ERA_INFORMATION to fit accordingly (Civ6_Eras_Eras for ERA_ATOMIC and Civ6_Eras_Eras001 for ERA_INFORMATION").

Or you can just try out my own file here which I've attached. It should work, at least I've just started a game in the Modern era and the cities retain their Industrial era look (I also cheated myself a Modern era tech and advanced a couple turns just to make sure, the skyscrapers only appeared after I researched an Atomic era tech). Make sure to backup your original file though, just in case.

You might also want to edit Cities.artdef to give Modern era cities the Industrial look in Strategic View, but it's not that much of a big deal I believe.

Hey nice job! I managed to get it working again myself but in a different way to your method by going to the eras.artdef file and going to near the bottom where the eras are seperated into which art set they use and cutting and pasting the Modern section from the Modern art set to the Industrial one.

One difference is the districts and improvements still change to their modern version I might try your file to see if it changes that but its not a huge deal if it does not as I mostly wanted to remove the skyscrapers it just means you get the tarmac and carparks in the districts.

EDIT: Okay just tried your file out and it keeps the industrial style districts/roads/improvements until the Atomic era so its better than my edit. If you ever get back to reading this, thank you!

Last edited:
I made an account just so I could post on this thread. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who desperately wanted this! :')

It's just crazy that you get so little time to enjoy the wonderful industrial era buildings before they get replaced by the super boring and ugly, not mention completely absurd (a 1 pop village of skyscrapers?) modern era buildings. FOR THE REST OF THE GAME. Anywho big thanks to all you guys for figuring this one so I didn't have to! Gonna try your file now BlackEmperor, thank you all so much! :D

You're welcome. :) Feel free to let me know if the file still works, I probably won't check until the April update's rolling out. :D

just to be sure, you changed the arteras so that the "Modern artera" only contains Atomic and Information (and Future), and the "Industrial artera" contains the industrial and modern era? When I do that, the game crashes whenever I press Next Turn.

I did that in addition to the change Jonas32 made. Make sure you change the Civ6_Eras_Eras stuff as well.
If you did all of that and the issue persists, you could use a compare tool to check all differences between my Eras.artdef file and yours, if you don't want to use my file to begin with. At the very least I don't have any issues other than getting a giant red exclamation mark on Neighborhood districts after building something in them (probably because the buildings don't have any art for Industrial style Neighborhoods, since it disappears after reaching the Atomic era).

hey so how do you do this? does this change it for all civs? im mostly looking for something to prevent some civs from getting skyscrapers like scotland, aztec, etc and instead retain a classic medieval etc apperance instead of some glass downtown apperance? but i also wouldnt mind america etc retaining the glass building during modern and atomic. is this possible?

I did that in addition to the change Jonas32 made. Make sure you change the Civ6_Eras_Eras stuff as well.
If you did all of that and the issue persists, you could use a compare tool to check all differences between my Eras.artdef file and yours, if you don't want to use my file to begin with. At the very least I don't have any issues other than getting a giant red exclamation mark on Neighborhood districts after building something in them (probably because the buildings don't have any art for Industrial style Neighborhoods, since it disappears after reaching the Atomic era).
just to be sure, you changed the arteras so that the "Modern artera" only contains Atomic and Information (and Future), and the "Industrial artera" contains the industrial and modern era? When I do that, the game crashes whenever I press Next Turn.
You're welcome. :) Feel free to let me know if the file still works, I probably won't check until the April update's rolling out. :D
Hey nice job! I managed to get it working again myself but in a different way to your method by going to the eras.artdef file and going to near the bottom where the eras are seperated into which art set they use and cutting and pasting the Modern section from the Modern art set to the Industrial one.

One difference is the districts and improvements still change to their modern version I might try your file to see if it changes that but its not a huge deal if it does not as I mostly wanted to remove the skyscrapers it just means you get the tarmac and carparks in the districts.

EDIT: Okay just tried your file out and it keeps the industrial style districts/roads/improvements until the Atomic era so its better than my edit. If you ever get back to reading this, thank you!

Since Gathering Storm I can no longer get this to work. All I seem able to do with twiddling the Eras.artdef file is remove the industrial art style when im trying to extend it to the modern era they seem to have changed how the file is laid out.

The 'Modern' era building set is so unfitting for the Modern era considering its meant to be 1890-1945 most cities dont even look like that now!

bump can you change this for only some civs?

Top Bottom