Killed Tech Forum You Did, TF

King of Camelot

Camelot's King
When you merged the tech forum with the off-topic forum you ruined the interesting topics going on in there. I don't know when was the last time I saw a new tech thread. I know you had good intentions but I fear you have destroyed most of the non-civ, interresting, tech threads.:( Just thought I would tell you in hopes of one day getting it back, some people really need it.

I personally like tech stuff, and as I recall when I was here last fall (I had an 8 month hiatus until a couple weeks ago), we had one. Right now all I see are the 2 tech support forums, which don't really seem appropriate to talk about tech stuff in general. I'm presuming that there are not really any tech/programming/web/engineer types here at CFC, or at least not enough that support a Forum. Lots of Historians though ;)....

There was a general Tech forum but TF merged it to the Off-Topic forum because it had low posts numbers. In the shuffle of the off-topic forum all the tech threads are lost...

OK, I admit the tech threads get a little lost in OT, but they seem to appear with about the same frequency I saw when they had their own forum. I swear days could go by without anything new being posted there.

The most recent one I know of was started three days ago, and last posted to two days ago. That's about the same frequency I saw on the Tech forum.

I would say starlifter is right: there are tech/programming/web/engineer types here, but we just don't talk that stuff enough to warrent a separate forum.

You really saw a new one? I have stopped seeing them altogether. God, time to take the pills again.:D
*reaches for pills*
*gulp*
Thats better.:)

Is there an actual disadvantage of some sort when you have a forum with less-than-frequent posting? I mean, the fact that not so many people posted there wasn't hurting anything, was it?

I kind a wish the Tech forum was back....but it also doesn't get seen much by people when it is all by itself....at the same time being in OT tech questions get swamped by all the other stuff (mostly Israel threads :D).

There were some intresting topics in the tech forum. There was always somebody to help with any problem. I say bring it back and give CM his job back (if he wants it :) )

Cornmaster has his new Tech Support forum over at Gamecatcher.

I´m not sure if he wants to come back, even if asked to. :eek:

Anyway, it was TF´s decision, and that is law here.
:D

BTW, Thanks for the referral to Gamecatcher a couple days ago, Lucky. I try to get there every couple days from now on to say hello to ya'll over there :).

About the Tech Forum at CFC, I don't know what happend or why, and have not asked... but I find it hard to believe that there could be less interest in a tech Forum than this gigantic Forum that seems to date all the way back to February, yet generate a whopping 7 whole threads....

here it is ;).

If it is a matter of "space", then an idea might be to make room by merging that particular Forum into a very logical place... "All Other Games".

The reason is simple... separation. there are over 6,000 threads in OT, and almost 80,000 posts.... trying to find a current topic to do with tech is quite difficult, and often people that could answer will overlook the thread title that would key them in. Further, even if it is eventually found, the subject may not be timely anymore.

Another obvious solution is to merge the CTP, Alpha Centauri, and RoN (and maybe even Colonizaion) into their own "Other Strategy Games" Forum, thus making room for 2 or 3 Tech Forums, LOL (joking about the 2 or 3!!).

By it's very nature, tech stuff is not too frequently posted, but probably more read and definitley more interesting and relevant to a useful purpose than spam-of-the-day that can fill some other Forums.

But whatever the issues were and whenever they happened, I agree with ya'll that a Tech Support Forum is a good idea. Certainly more useful and popular than a few of the incredibly space Other Game Fourms, LOL....

:)

Originally posted by starlifter
About the Tech Forum at CFC, I don't know what happend or why, and have not asked... but I find it hard to believe that there could be less interest in a tech Forum than this gigantic Forum that seems to date all the way back to February, yet generate a whopping 7 whole threads.... here it is ;).
I wondered about that one also....let's just be glad that TF didn't open a HoM&M4 Forum. ;) RoN looks cool but it is too far out before it will generate any serious discussion.
The reason is simple... separation. there are over 6,000 threads in OT, and almost 80,000 posts.... trying to find a current topic to do with tech is quite difficult, and often people that could answer will overlook the thread title that would key them in. Further, even if it is eventually found, the subject may not be timely anymore.
By it's very nature, tech stuff is not too frequently posted, but probably more read and definitley more interesting and relevant to a useful purpose than spam-of-the-day that can fill some other Forums.
Very good point for bringing back Tech Forum TF!!!!! Hear us or we will rise!!! (Only to sit back down because standing takes too much energy)
But whatever the issues were and whenever they happened, I agree with ya'll that a Tech Support Forum is a good idea. Certainly more useful and popular than a few of the incredibly space Other Game Fourms, LOL....
:)
Ah, I hope you are attacking RoN here and not my All Other Games!!!!

(many edits...man, I need more sleep)

Ah, I hope you are attacking RoN here and not my All Other Games!!!
I really don't "attack" anyone (regular individuals, that is...), but sometimes lack of context and face-to-face expression may imply that to be so. ;)
I was taking a guess that the Tech Forum needed liebensarum (sp?), or living space, and consolidating some game topics could make room with almost no adverse impact for the existing discussions in them... I didn't look to see who mods what, but I take it you mod one, LOL?! ;)

Mainly to TF & whoever has input to making new Forums:

BTW, I might add that the people that frequent tech forums are generally not the ones that make big headaches for mods, at least in the Tech Forum. Subjects are usually not "exciting" enough, and might even cause headaches for those that prefer, ummmm.... how shall I say... less cerebral subjects, hehehe....

So a Tech Forum should be low maintenance, and I'm sure a mod (like maybe PH76 or Duke of Marlbrough or maybe even Smash, or really any willing Mod..) could easily do it even if the earlier post suggestion of Cornmaster does not work for whatever reason.

:goodjob:

Iwould be willing to mod the ech Forum ,if one was ever created. There was talk about that but TF ended up joining the Tech forum with OT. :crazyeye: I agree, the tech forum didn't need much moderation...I think the only thing Corn ever had to was move a few stray threads.

Please TF bring back the Tech Forum! Or at least respond so this doesn't turn into the 'Reasons to bring back the Tech Forum that TF doesn't care about' thread.

Grrrrr!:mad: At least respond TF!

Don't worry Lucky, I'm not going to ask Corn back to the staff...

I'll create a new Tech forum as requested and PH can moderate it. :)

Originally posted by Thunderfall
Don't worry Lucky, I'm not going to ask Corn back to the staff...

I'll create a new Tech forum as requested and PH can moderate it. :)

Another victory for the peasants! :beer:

No worries!

But you are getting indecisive and influenceable more and more! :lol:
If this continues you will grant us custom avatars soon! :yeah:
:lol:

Anyway, you should make sure that only GENERAL tech support questions are asked there. Philippe already started spamming with a Civ3 related question.
:D

The peasants are gaining power! Slowly...but surely! We will control you TF...in another 5 years at this rate.:D

Top Bottom