KinetiKam

KinetiKam 1.1

12@!n

Chieftain
12@!n submitted a new resource:

KinetiKam - A custom camera presert for Civ VI

INTRODUCTION AND INFO

Tired of the limitations of the default camera? Wanting to zoom in an all the detailed glory of your neighbor's capital right before you nuke it? If so, this mod is for you.

WHAT DOES THIS MOD DO?

This mod is simply a Camera.artdef with a few values tweaked to allow the user to zoom in closer and zoom out further. It also adjusts the pitch of the camera when zoomed in and out. This file...

Read more about this resource...

oh dear getting some weird results when zoomed out in 2k resolution

Any tips on what values to edit if i personally ONLY want to be able to zoom in closer?
I remember in civ5 it was a single simple value to edit (something along the lines of "debugcam_mindistance")
Cheers m8

Any tips on what values to edit if i personally ONLY want to be able to zoom in closer?
I remember in civ5 it was a single simple value to edit (something along the lines of "debugcam_mindistance")
Cheers m8
Read the overview. The zoom out and zoom in appear to be interdependent, so editing one to be more intense may result in the other to be less intense. So yeah, appears to be a single value.

"HeightCurve" is the CollectionName for all variables relating to height, of which there are 4.

"HeightCurve1" is the subcollection category for the two variables that control camera transition speed and maximum distance when zooming in.

The two variables are:
"Time" - appears to control transition speed and smoothness. 0 is slowest and the higher the variable the quicker and less smooth the transition. The default value is 0.000000.
"Height" - appears to control the maximum zoom level to focal point. The default value is 120.000000.

Last edited:
Does it make it a bit more tilted within vanilla zoom levels, or only when zooming in beyond that?

Best way I can elaborate it is that it reduces the tilt so that the view is closer to parallel with the ground, both zoomed in and out. The gif on the overview shows exactly what it looks like and the main resource image is an in game screenshot.

Last edited:
Weird. I couldn't reproduce thy on my machine at any resolution. I'll look at it tonight.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ui-class-changing-max-min-zoom.601995/#post-14549105

Eep had the same issue, his value for height in heightcurve2 was significantly higher than what I released. You can try lowering that.

Yea, I had to increase the zoomed out tiltcurve1 tilt to near vertical (oddly, the lower the number, the higher the angle, so my camera preset tiltcurve/heightcurve tilts/heights are 10/2500 (zoomed out) and 45/120 (zoomed in). You should be able to zoom in closer (lower heightcurve2 height) without getting yellow hexes and z-fighting (overlapped polygon flickering). I tried dorking with nearClip and farClip to get rid of the flickering but no luck.

After experimenting, I find these settings give the closest, decent zoom-in:
  • nearclip 5
  • farclip 10000 (think that's default but not sure since I never saved original camera.artdef)
  • FOV 45 (default; more will cause z-fighting to appear sooner when zoomed out so best to leave it)
  • tiltcurve tilt .1 (probably steepest angle--I didn't try smaller values--closest to 90 degrees vertical before camera flips)
  • (optional) tiltcurve1 tilt 37.5 (I prefer a steeper zoomed-in camera angle)
  • heightcurve2 height 15 (max zoom in before camera goes under terrain, which it still will under mountains)
To save your editing sanity, you can lose all the extra 0s before the decimal point and after the decimal point whole number (i.e. 0.100000 -> .1).

Last edited:
Yea, I had to increase the zoomed out tiltcurve1 tilt to near vertical (oddly, the lower the number, the higher the angle, so my camera preset tiltcurve/heightcurve tilts/heights are 10/2500 (zoomed out) and 45/120 (zoomed in). You should be able to zoom in closer (lower heightcurve2 height) without getting yellow hexes and z-fighting (overlapped polygon flickering). I tried dorking with nearClip and farClip to get rid of the flickering but no luck.

• nearclip 5
  • farclip 10000 (think that's default but not sure since I never saved original camera.artdef)
  • FOV 45 (default; more will cause z-fighting to appear sooner when zoomed out so best to leave it)
  • tiltcurve tilt .1 (probably steepest angle--I didn't try smaller values--closest to 90 degrees vertical before camera flips)
  • heightcurve2 height 15 (max zoom in before camera goes under terrain, which it still will under mountains)
To save your editing sanity, you can lose all the extra 0s before the decimal point and after the decimal point whole number (i.e. 0.100000 -> .1).

Going to do some editing now.

• nearclip 5

Just for clarity, something I noticed that may help someone else who want's to tinker with it, "tiltcurve" itself appears to be only a collectionname, while tiltcurve1 and tiltcurve2 are the names of ChildCollections, with <m_ParamName text="tilt"/> being the actual parameter name under each ChildCollection, representing the name for the variables that control tilt when zoomed in and out, respectively.

Example:
Spoiler TiltCurve :

74<Element>
75----<m_CollectionName text="TiltCurve"/>
76----<Element>
77--------<m_Fields>
78------------<m_Values>
79----------------<Element class="AssetObjects::FloatValue">
80--------------------<m_fValue>100.000000</m_fValue>
81--------------------<m_ParamName text="Time"/>
82----------------</Element>

83----------------<Element class="AssetObjects::FloatValue">
84--------------------<m_fValue>50.000000</m_fValue>
85--------------------<m_ParamName text="Tilt"/>
86----------------</Element>

87------------</m_Values>
88--------</m_Fields>
89--------<m_ChildCollections/>
90--------<m_Name text="TiltCurve1"/>

91----</Element>
92</Element>

Almost like it's written upside down. In case I am not making sense, in your example, tiltcurve is actually tiltcurve2:

• nearclip = 5.00
  • farclip = 10000.00 (think that's default but not sure since I never saved original camera.artdef)
  • FOV = 45.00 (default; more will cause z-fighting to appear sooner when zoomed out so best to leave it)
  • tiltcurve2 tilt = 0.10 (probably steepest angle--I didn't try smaller values--closest to 90 degrees vertical before camera flips)
  • (optional) tiltcurve1 tilt = 37.50 (I prefer a steeper zoomed-in camera angle)
  • heightcurve2 height = 15.00 (max zoom in before camera goes under terrain, which it still will under mountains)
Same with HeightCurve, it is the CollectionName under which HeightCurve1 and HeightCurve2 exist.

That makes sense, right? Or am I misreading?

Last edited:
Just for clarity, something I noticed that may help someone else who want's to tinker with it, "tiltcurve" itself appears to be only a collectionname, while tiltcurve1 and tiltcurve2 are the names of ChildCollections, with <m_ParamName text="tilt"/> being the actual parameter name under each ChildCollection, representing the name for the variables that control tilt when zoomed in and out, respectively.

Almost like it's written upside down. In case I am not making sense, in your example, tiltcurve is actually tiltcurve2:
  • tiltcurve2 tilt = 0.10 (probably steepest angle--I didn't try smaller values--closest to 90 degrees vertical before camera flips)
Same with HeightCurve, it is the CollectionName under which HeightCurve1 and HeightCurve2 exist.

That makes sense, right? Or am I misreading?

Yes, you are correct. I was just using top-down (normal) vs. bottom-up (what?) hierarchy. I think the <m_Name> tag could probably go above the values but, for some reason, Firaxis decided to make things more confusing and put it below.

Yes, you are correct. I was just using top-down (normal) vs. bottom-up (what?) hierarchy. I think the <m_Name> tag could probably go above the values but, for some reason, Firaxis decided to make things more confusing and put it below.
Yeah, I thought so. That's what confused me when I dug into this.

Sow hat would I edit if I'd like to be able to zoom out further, and if in and out is linked, I'd rather zoom out more than more vanilla in :)

Sow hat would I edit if I'd like to be able to zoom out further, and if in and out is linked, I'd rather zoom out more than more vanilla in :)
HeightCurve1 height is zoomed out height but 2500 is the max before you get z-fighting (flickering from overlapping polygons--the hex grid in this case, which happens when alt-rotating the camera when zoomed out all the way). tiltcurve2 tilt needs to be lower as the zoomed out height is increased or else more z-fighting will occur at less zoom-out.

The camera will zoom out more (heightcurve1 height) if heightcurve2 height is increased (less zoom in). Also decreasing FOVCurve FOV will tweak the camera zoom levels but also distort them. You can experiment in-game with the console and show "camera options" in the "v" down-arrow console menu.

Last edited:
This is fantastic! Just what I've been looking for. And it works on Macs, too! :)

edit: BTW, there are some really cool easter eggs you can only see when zoomed way in (like with this mod), some of which only show some times and not others. I'll leave it to you to find out what they are. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom