• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Kirby's Civilizations

Just a quick update on the Korowai: XML work has begun, I have gathered spy names and am currently working on the DOM, City Names, and Leader Name.

I need some more help with translations because I don't understand how language works.
Here are the 10 spy names I came up with, if anyone could translate, that would be amazing!
ɸu:ɾ , 'ʔæʔl̪ɯ: ʔɑbi'ɑ:n 'tu:s̪ , ʔæ:l̪'næ:m , ʔæ'nɔ:s , nəkə'l̪ɔ:n Duwɔ'bɔ: , ʔə'l̪il̪ænɔ:p̚ ʔæm , d̪u:'ɾæ: ʔæʔmæ'ʔjɔ:ɾ , mə'ɾi: , ɓɔŋguwɑ'nɔ:p̚ me:ɾ̥ , ʔæl̪u'nɑ:n ɸo:β

Other than that, the Responses are done mostly as well as most of the civilization document. I've been looking at the CL Vietnam mod and the MC Nazca mod to kinda get a feel for what I need in terms of XML. Art will be my ultimate bottleneck, but we are getting there slowly but surely

While researching those spy names, I discovered that there actually is already a Korowai orthography (based on Indonesian's). From my understanding of it (I can't find an actual description anywhere, unfortunately, so I'm forced to rely on what Google Books will show of the vocabulary section of The Korowai of Irian Jaya: Their Language in Its Cultural Context by van Enk and de Vries, and then crossrefrencing items with the TransNewGuinea.org lexicon that uses the IPA and trying to find instances where the same word is shown in both, and then when I can't find a given phoneme I resort to the closest thing in Indonesian), the UU name would be changed to "Khayo Wawir", and the UI to "Su Khov". OTOH, for the UI in particular I found that there's a specific word "khaim" for treehouses, so you don't need to resort to just sticking the words for 'tree' and 'house' together.

As for the spy names themselves, I think they'd come out as: Fur, Khaklï, Khabian Tus, Khalnam, Khanos, Nekelon Duwobo, Khelilanop Kham, Dura, Khakmakyor, Meri, Bonguwanop Mer, and Khalunan Fov.

While researching those spy names, I discovered that there actually is already a Korowai orthography (based on Indonesian's). From my understanding of it (I can't find an actual description anywhere, unfortunately, so I'm forced to rely on what Google Books will show of the vocabulary section of The Korowai of Irian Jaya: Their Language in Its Cultural Context by van Enk and de Vries, and then crossrefrencing items with the TransNewGuinea.org lexicon that uses the IPA and trying to find instances where the same word is shown in both, and then when I can't find a given phoneme I resort to the closest thing in Indonesian), the UU name would be changed to "Khayo Wawir", and the UI to "Su Khov". OTOH, for the UI in particular I found that there's a specific word "khaim" for treehouses, so you don't need to resort to just sticking the words for 'tree' and 'house' together.

As for the spy names themselves, I think they'd come out as: Fur, Khaklï, Khabian Tus, Khalnam, Khanos, Nekelon Duwobo, Khelilanop Kham, Dura, Khakmakyor, Meri, Bonguwanop Mer, and Khalunan Fov.

Holy crap you are amazing. I was using the Lexicon to just kind put names together (thus some of the ridiculous spy names but those were mainly for fun). I shall change those!

Made some artwork for the mod if you're interested in using it. :D

Civilization Icon:

Unit Icon:

Holy crap those are beautiful. I love that icon! Any way you could make it with these colors? #33330E (background) #4BD150 (icon)

Those are the colors I want to stick to. As for the Korowai man, wow that is great looking. Trade the plant for a bow and that would be a gorgeous Khayo Wawir icon. Or maybe I could use that for the leader, either way those icons are gorgeous! Thank you so much!

I imagine he'd prefer the one that looks closer to their actual color scheme. Also, the leader looks far too blurry, you should probably consider changing that.

I'd prefer the one color over the gradient personally, but I freaking love that leaderscreen! He's pretty scary, and I love that style if screen, Octoski kinda used it for his. Thank you so much!
Done, non-Gradient Icon. :) Also, glad you like the leaderscreen man!

He's pretty scary, and I love that style if screen, Octoski kinda used it for his.
Not sure what you quite mean by the "if screen".

Is that the brown I used? It seems a bit green to me. Once again, thanks so much for all the help!

Yup, used the color codes you put in your previous post ;) Anyways, glad to help! If you need anymore art I'd be happy to provide. (As long as they aren't tile improvements. I suck at those :lol:)

Here it is with the exact colors.

That's the exact colors? Huh. Photoshop must've messed it up a little bit in the process of making the icons. :think: Thanks though for correcting it.

Another update: I have been reading up more on the Korowai and I believe their UA needs fixing. My proposed change is do get rid of Cannibalism for the Khao Wawir and to make their new UA - Ritual Cannibalism. Not sure what to do with it though. Basically their ritual Cannibalism occurs when one of the Korowai dies from disease. They determine who the khakua or male witch who cast the spells or whatever to kill the diseased dude. They then kill the khakua and eat his flesh. Any ideas on how to use that for a UA?

@KirbyATK48, How about this?:
Ritual Cannibalism: Upon death of a Great Person (captured by Barbarians doesn't count), the Korowai may choose to sacrifice a combat unit of choice within their territory. Upon doing so, all units within a one hex distance gain a permanent 10% combat strength, which stacks if this occurs multiple times.

Top Bottom