[NFP] Kublai Khan Discussion Thread

What do you mean all caps? My renaming works just fine. Quite the opposite, original names are all caps to me, though that is only visible in tooltips.
I think all Cities, original and renamed, have all cap names.

And are we talking City Banner above the Center or tooltips? In my games, City Banner has font-tranformation (or whatever it's called) which makes it all-caps-ish, where all letters use their caps form, but actual cap letters are bigger, so it's not full all caps. Tooltips are only all-caps If left original, I can rename them into low-caps. I'd also note that tooltips update themself after the Turn where one renamed the City.

I was wondering whether any silly business would happen over Kublai in China, so far, the Chinese translation of the announcement today is completely messed up, as opposed to all of the other versions: https://civilization.com/zh-TW/news...ss-releases-january-2021-dlc-on-january-28th/

Coincidence? I mean, I guess.

It's potentially a dangerous move.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2...rom-sale-after-anti-china-messages-discovered

As someone else posted, having a Mongolian as Chinese leader is about as sensitive as having Victoria as Empress of India (which she was).And Xi Jinping seems to be morbidly sensitive to any slight, even in something as unpolitical as a computer game.

Interesting.
They've never done different abilities for the same leader before until now with the different personas. I guess it could be possible that Mongolia Kublai could have a different ability than China Kublai.

Technically, some leaders do already change their abilities based on ruleset/packs, though mostly the older ones who got reworked. I think.

Technically, some leaders do already change their abilities based on ruleset/packs, though mostly the older ones who got reworked. I think.
I was specifically talking about him possibly having a different persona/ability depending on which civ he leads.

I don't think he will personally though considering the idea of obtaining eurekas and inspirations from trading synergizes with both civs but it's something to to think about.

I was specifically talking about him possibly having a different persona/ability depending on which civ he leads.

I don't think he will personally though considering the idea of obtaining eurekas and inspirations from trading synergizes with both civs but it's something to to think about.
Science, culture, faith, gold per turn / inability to build specialy districts is a good ability for Mongolian Kublai Khan. But for Chinese, no. So I think so

And are we talking City Banner above the Center or tooltips? In my games, City Banner has font-tranformation (or whatever it's called) which makes it all-caps-ish, where all letters use their caps form, but actual cap letters are bigger, so it's not full all caps. Tooltips are only all-caps If left original, I can rename them into low-caps. I'd also note that tooltips update themself after the Turn where one renamed the City.
I meant when you see it when not naming.

Science, culture, faith, gold per turn / inability to build specialy districts is a good ability for Mongolian Kublai Khan. But for Chinese, no. So I think so
Kublai Khan for Mongolia would need an Encampment to build their UB not to mention Commercial Hubs and Harbors for extra trader capacity unless they get it from somewhere else though.

Although not building harbors could be a possibility, and for him a blessing. :mischief:

Kublai Khan for Mongolia would need an Encampment to build their UB not to mention Commercial Hubs and Harbors for extra trader capacity unless they get it from somewhere else though.

Although not building harbors could be a possibility, and for him a blessing. :mischief:
Yes, I thought about it too. But maybe there are options ... or maybe not! Only conquest, only hardcorrrrre !!!

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2...rom-sale-after-anti-china-messages-discovered

As someone else posted, having a Mongolian as Chinese leader is about as sensitive as having Victoria as Empress of India (which she was).And Xi Jinping seems to be morbidly sensitive to any slight, even in something as unpolitical as a computer game.
Why the hell would China care? All they have to is claim Mongals are Chinese and thus Genghis Khan and all the other Khans are Chinese.
And yes, that is what some extremest in China claim- that Mongal Empire is in fact Chinese Empire.

You are being too paranoid.

Last edited:

I don't think that would be an issue as Kublai led the Yuan dynasty and is acknowledged as part of Chinese history. If anything, I think an alternate leader for Korea led by a Goguryeon leader would be more controversial than that or even a Tibetan civ.

In the city banner original city names have lower case caps, while in all other circumstances (tooltips, timeline, etc.) they have initial capitals only. Renamed cities, however, have all capitals (not lower case capitals) in tooltips, timeline, etc. At least that's how it works in my game.

I already debunked the situation described in the original post you replied to, which is no more than a usual webpage update error; not to say that the news your posted was under an entirely different context. And as I said again and again, the PRC authority will likely not care about a random small game that already features Mongolia and even Xinjiang.

Having fun anticipating things that don't exist in a real life context.

In the city banner original city names have lower case caps, while in all other circumstances (tooltips, timeline, etc.) they have initial capitals only. Renamed cities, however, have all capitals (not lower case capitals) in tooltips, timeline, etc. At least that's how it works in my game.
Renamed cities have mostly proper capitalization for me, but then again i always rename cities directly in the city banner instead of the report screen, which im pretty sure is a feature of a mod. (sukritact's simple ui adjustments maybe?)
The exception is when i use accents - if i copy a name spelt with accents and paste it into civ, it shows up just fine - btu then i i go to re-rename the city, any accented letter and the following letter will ALWAYS be capital. So if i name a mayan city "Chichén Itzá", it'll go through correctly, but then if i click to rename again, it changes to "ChichÉN ItzÁ".
Considering they're going to include full diacritics for Vietnamese names in this new update, I'm really hoping this bug gets fixed

Renamed cities have mostly proper capitalization for me, but then again i always rename cities directly in the city banner instead of the report screen, which im pretty sure is a feature of a mod. (sukritact's simple ui adjustments maybe?)

Yeah, it is Sukritact's simple ui adjustments, allow you to change city name in lower right banner. Since the vanilla UI is very counterintuitive I very much use this UI as standard now.

What ruleset are you using? Standard or with exppacks?

What ruleset are you using? Standard or with exppacks?
I've preordered all Civ6 content from the base game on so I'm always playing with the latest version of the game. Worth noting I haven't played in months, though, so if FXS has patched anything recently I won't have noticed.

I've preordered all Civ6 content from the base game on so I'm always playing with the latest version of the game. Worth noting I haven't played in months, though, so if FXS has patched anything recently I won't have noticed.

And are you using the Sukracit's mod AriaLyric mentoined and renaming through the panel at the bottom or throurh the City Details normally?

And are you using the Sukracit's mod AriaLyric mentoined and renaming through the panel at the bottom or throurh the City Details normally?
I don't use any UI mods except Real Great People UI and Sukritact's Civ Selection Screen. Neither of these affect in-game city UI.

I believe the names show up in all caps if you exit the naming screen too quickly, by pressing enter instead of clicking OK.

I may be misremembering. The only Civs I rename the cities of are Egypt and Phoenicia and it's at least half a year since the last time I played either.

Top Bottom