L5R - Legend of the Five Rings

So, how about a picture to whet your appetite?

I’ve been playing around with the Civilopedia, fonts and the like, and I think I can do it a lot better. Take a sneak peek to an early draft of what the L5R Civilopedia unit screen may look like:

I’ll be posting about the Crane Clan shortly. Stay tuned.

I came to this forum looking up tutorials on how to make mods with the intent of making a mod using L5R as the backdrop... Then I stumbled across your mod and decided to register.. I was going to throw out a few of the ideas I have bouncing around in my head.

Leaders
-This seems like it would be a hard list to put together if you stray away from the founders (Kami) of each clan. Which is probably a good idea because the Mantis were not actually founded by a Kami. I know I can come up with a list of two or three famous Clan Champions for each clan if need be. It might be worth the time of finding a famous Daimyo of each family among a clan and offer them as options for leaders. That is to say the Scorpion Clan would have a Bayushi, Shosuro, Soshi and Yogo leader available. It's only viable because families vary so much in each clan.
-That being said it might be interesting for each clan to have something in common among all of it's leaders aside from unique units and buildings. Such as all Lion having a trait that lowers the build time of melee (non-horse) units.

Unique Units
-With so much variation among the clans this will be a tough thing to narrow down.
-Crab : Hiruma Scouts, Kuni Witchhunters
-Crane : Kakaita Duelists, Daidoji Yojimbo
-Dragon : Tattooed Monks, Mirumoto Bushi (Niten)
-Lion : Deathseekers, Matsu Berserkers
-Mantis : Tsuruchi Bounty Hunters, The Orochi Riders
-Phoenix : Isawa Ishiken, Shiba Yojimbo
-Scorpion : Shosuro Actor, Shosuro Shinobi
-Unicorn : Utaku Battle Maiden, Moto Death Priests

Unique Buildings (Dojos maybe?)
-Crab : Kaiu Wall (replaces wall)
-Crane : Crane Market (improved market) or Doji Court (improved courtiers)
-Dragon : Three Orders Temple (improved monks)
-Lion : Hall of Ancestors (improves ancestor worship)
-Mantis : Mantis Port (improved dock)
-Phoenix : Elemental Council (shugenja bonus)
-Scorpion : Traitor's Grove (thwarts spying)
-Unicorn : Utaku Stable (replaces stable)

A Note on Religion, it doesn't need to go away.
-Fortunism
-Tao of Shinsei
-Ancestor Worship
-As well as other more "backwater" or regional religions

I have a billion ideas and concepts (basically every book all the way back to first ed and d20). So if you want any kind of help or information just let me know and I'll be glad to support as I can...

About religion :

The Fortunes and the tao have been unified in a single religion by the Phénix.
By the way, it would be strange that the differents aspects of this religion may be cause rivalities at the level of the clans.

Hence some ideas :

Shintao (official religion of Empire)
Missionary unit : Monk Use Taoïsme unit
City Bonus ; + 1 happy + 1 Healthness +1 culture
Temple : temple of Tao
Monastery : Brotherhood of shinsei monastery
Great temple :

Gozoku (discovered at Gozoku era)
Missionary unit : gozoku agent (use
City Bonus + 1 happy + 1 money +2 culture
Temple : gozoku cell
Monastery : gozoku court
Great temple : emperor’s counciler

Shadowland Taint (automatically attributed to the Capital of Shadowland faction)
Missionary unit :
City Bonus + 3 xp + 2 illness
Temple : bloodspeaker cell
Monastery : maho tsukai lair
Great temple : akutenshi mansion

Kolat (use confucianist units) appear at the late ancient era
City Bonus + 2 spy + 5% criminality (if criminality mechanisme is included in this mod)
Temple : criminal boss
Monastery : kolat agent
Great temple : kolat Master

An inquisitor unit, called Magistrate, would be able to remove other religion from the cities.

Other suggestions :

ERAs :

The simpler era would be Dawn of the Empire, a blank map with no city ( a normal start for the game)

Gozoku Era : canicule, Yasuki family quit the crane to join the crab first clan war, attack of the Maw & the subsequent destruction of Hiruma Castle, Kuni Lands et bulding of the Kaiu Wall, Power gained by the Gozoku, birth of Sparrow clan....

The scorpion coup (SC) & The clan War following should next be focused on,

The four Winds : FW : the four pretenders. (facultative)

So it would give :
Ancient era : ancient era-Dawn of the Empire
Classical Era : Gozoku Era ( begin at 383 AE)
Medieval Era : Scorpion Coup
Renaissance Era : Four Winds

Factions
Leaders are suggested by era
Faction trait : bonus of the faction (like in the Three kingdoms mod)
Affiliated generals : if the idea of the Three kingdom mod general system is used
Unique Unit available
Unique Building available
Cities names
Main resources found on the territory (partly based on the card game)

Crab clan

Leaders :
AE : Hida (aggressive, defender)
GZ : Hida Tadaka (Charismatic, Defender)
SC : Hida Kisada, Hida Yakamo (when Kisada die) both (aggressive, imperialistic)
FW : Hida Kuon Charismatic, Defender)

Faction Trait : Protector (“tough” trait inverse)

Affiliated generals : Hida Kisada, Hida Yakamo, Hida Sukune, Hida Tsuru, Hida Aramo, Kaiu, Hida O-Ushi

Unique Unit : Berserkers, Hiruma scouts, different Kaiu siege units, koutetsukan (naval), nezumi allies
Unique building : Strong walls, hiruma dojo, Kaiu Forge, Kaiu Arsenal (siege)…

Cities name :Kyuden Hida ; Shiro Kuni – Kyuden Hiruma (later Haiko no Hiruma) – Kaiu Shiro -- Kaiu Roka – Kamisori Sano Yoake Shiro – Shiro Kaotsuki no Higashi – Sunda Mizu Mura – Yasuki Yashinki (only after Gozoku Era : this city is the home of the Yasuki family and ws first Crane)

Main resources : Jade, iron, Copper, Rock

Crane clan

Leaders :
AE : Doji (handsome, Expansive)
GZ : Doji Raigu : (Organised, Financial, Imperialistic, Imperialistic)
SC : Doji Satsume (Financial,organised), Doji hoturi (Charismatic, handsome)
FW ; Doji Domotai (Financial, Organised)

Faction trait : Cultured

Affiliated generals : Doji tatsume, Doji Hoturi, kakita Toshimoko, Doji Kuwanan, kakita Uji

Unique Unit : Kenshizen, Daidoji Harriers, Iron Crane Warriors, kakita artists (spy), Kakita Kensai
Unique building : Kimono finest tailors, Kakita estate, market hub, Asahina astrologist.

Cities names : Kyuden Doji – Shiro Daidoji - Yufuku na heigen Toshi – Shiro sano Kakita – Shinden no Asahina - Shiro no Yojin (will be conquered by the Lion) – Mura Sabishii Toshi – Samui Kaze Toshi - Niwa horsehockya No Kage Toshi – Aiso ni Ryokosha Mura – Yama ue no so ni umi muri -

Main resources : Rice, silk

Dragon clan

Leaders :
AE & GZ : Togashi (Philosphical, Spiritual),
SC : Togashi Yokuni (Protective, Spiritual), Hitomi (Aggressive, charismatic)
FW : Togashi Satsu (Protective, Expansive)

Faction trait :??

Affiliated generals : Togashi hoshi, Mirumoto Sukune, Mirumoto Dani, Mirumoto Hitomi, Agasha Tamori

Unique Unit : Niten Bushi, Ise-zumi, Tamori brewers, Kitsuki magistrate
Unique building : Niten dojo

Cities names : Kyuden Togashi – Shiro Kitsuki – Shiro Agasha – Shiro Mirumoto …

Main resources : Gold, Iron, Copper

Lion Clan

Leaders :

AE : Akodo (Aggressive,organized)
GZ : Akodo Mitsuyuki (Weak,Expansive)
SC : Akodo Toturi (organised, tactician, Charismatic) , Matsu Tsuko (aggressive; Fury)
FW : Matsu Nimuro ( aggressive, charismatic)

Weak : less willing to declare war, -25% production unit
Fury : More willing to declare war ??

Faction Trait : Emperor Right hand (bonus production unit ?)

Affiliated generals : Akodo Toturi, Matsu Tsuko, Matsu Gohei, Ikoma, Kitsu, Akodo Kage

Unique Unit : Kenshizen, Daidoji Harriers, Iron Crane Warriors, kakita artists (spy),
Unique building : Kimono finest tailors, Kakita estate, market hub, Asahina astrologist (shugenja)

Cities names : Shiro Akodo – Shiro Matsu – Kyuden Ikoma – Shiro Sano Ken Hayai - Shiro no Yojin (was crane Before) – Kenson Gakka – Shiro no Meyo – Toshi no Meiyo Gisei – Mura sano Eiyu ni Suru – Toshi Ranbo (became Crane just before the clan war- became Imperial Capital at The end of the Four Winds Era

Main resources : iron….

Phoenix clan

Leader :
AE&SC : Council of five (Spiritual, industrious)
GZ : Shiba Tsukimi (organised, financial)
FW : Shiba Aikune (aggressive, charismatic)

Faction Trait : Arcane (if magic is implemted

affiliated General : Shiba ujimitsu, Shiba Tsukimi, Shiba

Unique Unit : Shiba yojimbo, Asako Henshin, Tensai Isawa, Ishiken
Unique building : Isawa scroll, henshin estate, Shiba yojimbo dojo.

Cities names : Kyuden Isawa – Shiro Shiba – Shiro Asako - Mamoru Kyotei Toshi – Toshi no Omoidoso – Shinsei na sumai mura – Ajoiroi Oku Shiro – Mori Kage Toshi (cursed) – Shiro sano Chujitsu Na Shinpu – Doro Owari Taki

Main resources : silver

Mantis Clan

Leaders :
AE : Kametsu-O (Aggressive,)
GZ : Gusai (Aggressive)
SC : Yoritomo (Imperialistic, Aggressive, iron-willed )
FW : Yoritomo Kumiko

Faction Trait : Seafaring

Affiliated generals : Yoritomo, Tsuruchi

Unique Unit : Storm legion, Storm riders (shugenja) Orochi riders (advanced unit – only at Four Winds Era) different naval units
Unique building : Wasp archery, Trade Hub Port, storm altar (shugenja building)

cannot build shugenja before a certain event (the joining of Moshi Family) ?

Cities names : Kyuden Mantis – Toshi no Izuma - Shima no Koshinryo – Shima no kinu

Main resources : fish, shell, spices, silk

Scorpion clan :

Leaders :

AE : Bayushi (organised)
GZ : Bayushi Atsuki (Financial, organized, gozoku)
SC : Bayushi shoju (imperialistic, organised) Bayushi Kachiko (Creative, Seductress)
FW Bayushi Paneki (Organised…

Seductress : equivalent of handsome trait : +2 opinion on male leaders

Faction Trait : Secretive (+50% spy points)

affiliated General : Bayushi shoju, Bayushi Aramoro, Bayushi tangen, Bayushi Yojiro, Shosuro aramoro

Unique Unit : Ninja (spy) , Shosuro actor (courtier), Bitter Lies, Kuroiban (magistrate)
Unique building : Shosuro actors (Kabuki theatr), Tejina, Ninja training yard, Bayushi tangen student, GLyphs of protection

Cities names : Kyuden Bayushi – Shiro Soshi – Yogo Shiro – Shiro no Shosuro – Ryoko Owari Toshi - Kakusu Keikai Torid-E – Lion’s shadow - (rename“Kenson Gakka” after the Lion conquered it)

Main resources : obsidian

Unicorn clan:

Leaders
AE : none
GZ : no leader at this era !
SC : Shinjo Yokatsu (Expansive, Philosophical, Kolat)
FW : Moto Chagatai (imperialistic, aggressive, imperialistic)

Faction Trait : Horselord

Affiliated generals : Shinjo Yokatsu, Otaku Kamoko, Moto Chagatai

Unique Unit : shinjo scouts, Battle Maidens
Unique building : Otaku stallion stable, Dojo of the open hand, horiuchi orphanage, shinjo stable

Cities names : Shiro Shinjo - Shiro Otaku Shojo – Shiro Ide – Shiro Iuchi - Mura Nisa Kawa Nemui – Toshi no aida no Kawa

Main resources : horses, sheeps & cattle

Minor clans :

They won't be really playable but they will serve for the scenarii
Kitsune : those of the unicorn can who chose to stay at Rokugan. appear at the ancient era
Badger clan : derived from crab clan, guard rokugan from ennemies coming from the North-east. Appear at ancient era
Sparrow clan. appear after the Gozoku Era
Butterfly. Vassal of the Dragon clan
Wasp clan : Scorpion coup era

only with designed specific events :
Snake clan
Boar clan
Usagi clan

only in events : Turtle clan (they're too small, and their only citie is in fact in otosan Uchi...)

Moshi clan : they no more than 50 during centuries. they will only have importance when they join the Mantis as a family. so it would be simpler to just add them to the Mantis Tree tech

at clan war era, somem will be vassals of Mantis clans

at Four Winds, create the Minor Clans Alliance.

Clan trait : Minor
Unique Unit : Ji-samurai (swordman) +1 UU for each clan

cannot build : settlers (they never have more than one citie)

cities Names : Kyuden Ashianagabachi – Kyuden Suzume – Kyuden Kistune – Kyuden Tonbo (destroyed by the Lion after at the Gozoku Era –

Emperor

Leader :
AE : Hanteï 1st (Industrious, Charismatic, Imperialistic)
GZ : Hantei Fujiwa (Spiritual, expansive)
SC : Hantei 38 (Spiritual, expansive), Hantei Sotorii (Tainted)
FW (Toturi…..)

Faction Trait : Emperor ( +10 relation with the clans with same religion)

affiliated General : no general

Unique Unit :
Unique building :

Cities Name : Otosan Uchi – Kyuden Otomo – Shiro Miay Mura Higsashi Chushin – Mura Minami Chushin – Mura Nishi Chushin – Mura Kita Chushin

Shadowlands :

Leaders :
A : Fu Leng (Aggressive)
GZ : The Maw (Oni lord, aggressive)
SC : Kuni Yori (Spiritual)
FW : Daigotsu (organized, charismatic, imperialistic)

Faction Trait : Damned (all units are tainted and this faction suffers from a penalty of -10 relationship))

Oni Lord (Oni unit see their Cost reduced)

Tainted unit : +1 strenght bonus

Affiliated generals : ????
Unique Unit :
bakemono (scout)
ogre
undead (warrior)
maho bunjin (damned bushi)
troll
hag
maho-tsukai (Shugenja)
kansen (spy)
Akunteshi
various Oni

marine oni

Unique building :
breeding pit,
oni lair
goblin warrens
cimetary

“cities name : Kano Suru Ana No Fu Leng (Suppuring Pit) – Okiwasureru Haka no Fu Leng (Tomb of Fu Leng) – Haiko no Hiruma – Haikyo no Kapppa – Volturnum (has to be conquered – barbarian city of the trolls)

Orioncrush, Suzume — thanks for your input! I’m happy you’re interested in L5R!

I kind of like the idea of a faction-wide trait… at the very least mandate a specific (additional or not) leader trait to each clan, or a new unique trait. And I do like Seafaring and Secretive, which fit perfectly with the Mantis and Scorpion, respectively.

At this point I’m making the civ, leader, and Civilopedia files for the clans. But there’s a number of things I could use help with:

• An extensive list of Great People for each kind (Religious, Military, etc.)
  • 3D models and pictures for the various units
  • Events?
  • Flags for the clans with their mons on them
  • A map of Rokugan!
  • A list of cities by clan (I think I have this done)

Again, there’s two parts to this mod. The Total Conversion, to play random games, and scenario, which I figure will have at least 2 (and perhaps closer to 6) eras of play. You guys seem to have figured that out.

I want a “present-day” scenario with the Spider Clan as one of the greats, and I envision the Shadowlands thus separate. The Shadowlands (oni and tainted regular units) will be the barbarians. There is the possibility of another scenario, where you play the Crab clan in a survival mode. But, I don’t’ want to get to ahead of myself :)

I have many, many more ideas. I’ll chime in after I’ve had some more time to think.

What I can do :

- this list of Great People. (the only problem will be that the Great People most often belong to a clan. it would be a bit strange that Agasha (as a great scientist) appear in the crab clan, for example)
- make a calendar of main events across the empire, for the goal of designing events for the game
- Maybe make a blank map (standard first).

this list of Great People. (the only problem will be that the Great People most often belong to a clan. it would be a bit strange that Agasha (as a great scientist) appear in the crab clan, for example)
Yeah, I thought of that too.

I’m wondering if with some basic Python logic if the game could only pick a GP name if it was compatible with the player’s clan?

The other possibility is, when getting a Great Person, dropping the family name from the GP’s name entirely, or even forcing the GP to swear fealty if you will, by assigning them a random family name from the player’s clan.

Also, a map of Rokugan would be wonderful! Once upon a time I stumbled across a Rokugan map someone made in Civilization II. (I might still have it somewhere on my hard drive.)

So this is what I have so far, going to get some sleep and come back to it in the morning... I might even go into the color files and play with the colors to make the flags look more the way they should as of now though they are just plopped into the first few Civs alphabetically for testing... Comments, suggestions and tips are very much welcome..

Spoiler :

I've got all the flags done... I'll have some screen shots up later...

So this is what I have so far, going to get some sleep and come back to it in the morning... I might even go into the color files and play with the colors to make the flags look more the way they should as of now though they are just plopped into the first few Civs alphabetically for testing... Comments, suggestions and tips are very much welcome..
These are wonderful! Thanks!

They’ll look great in the right colors, I’m sure.

Speaking of which:

Primary colors could be one or the other:
Code:
Crab     0.25, 0.30, 0.55 / 0.05, 0.10, 0.15
Crane    0.55, 0.80, 0.90 / 0.20, 0.30, 0.40
Dragon   0.70, 0.70, 0.30 / 0.35, 0.35, 0.15
Lion     0.65, 0.50, 0.30 / 0.25, 0.20, 0.10
Mantis   0.30, 0.50, 0.35 / 0.10, 0.20, 0.15
Phoenix  0.85, 0.45, 0.20 / 0.35, 0.15, 0.05
Scorpion 0.60, 0.20, 0.15 / 0.20, 0.00, 0.00
Spider   0.65, 0.65, 0.65 / 0.20, 0.20, 0.20
Unicorn  0.55, 0.55, 0.75 / 0.15, 0.15, 0.25

I suggest possibly a white mon on the colored flag. Dunno. Some clans have secondary colors so you could play with that a little.

Chronology of the Empire, from year 1 to year 1100

Year Event
1 Gisei Toshi is founded
23 Otosan Uchi is completed.
33 First War with Fu Leng
37 Construction begins on Isawa's Last Wish.
39 Asako Yogo is cursed, switches allegiance to the Scorpion Clan, and forms the Yogo family.
42 Day of Thunder.
42 Shosuro retires. The Soshi family is created.
23 First Tournament of the Emerald Champion.

44 The first Great Convocation is held, to the design of the Tao of Shinsei
45 Shinjo and the Ki-Rin Clan leave Rokugan. Hida ventures in Shadowlands
45 Doji Hayaku returns from the Shadowlands, founds the Daidoji family and marries Hida Yohko
46 Hantei Genji becomes Emperor of Rokugan.
72 Uikku is discovered by the Phoenix Clan.
77 Mantis clan is founded by Kametsu-O
82 Togashi imprisons Shosuro in a crystal chamber beneath Kyuden Togashi.
90 Founding of the Fox Clan.
97 Osano-Wo becomes Fortune of Fire and Thunder.
100 The Taint is discovered by Kuni Nakanu.
101 Death of Togashi is announced to Rokugan.
102 Disappearance of Lady Doji.
110 The Badger Clan is founded.
112 Chukan vassal family is founded, and Asako Chukan begins task of standardizing the filing system for the records of the Asako temples.
141 Kaimetsu-Uo passes leadership of the Mantis Clan to his son, and sets sail out to sea. He is found months later, dead on his ship.
145 Book of Sun Tao is written.
147 Birth of Bayushi Tangen.
153 The Emerald Magistrates and Imperial Legions are founded by Doji Hatsuo and Soshi Saibankan. Shinjo disappears in the Oasis of Spirits for a week, returning several months pregnant. Birth of Shinjo Martera.
170 Lies is finished. Death of Bayushi Tangen.
179 The Shosuro Butei Academy is founded by Shosuro family daimyo Shosuro Taysuke (spy/school)
200 First known contact with the Naga race as the son of Kaiu Sudaro is saved by Mara.
210 Hida enters the Shadowlands and is presumed dead.
217 The Dai-Chikai Dojo is constructed to help house and train the growing number of yojimbo needed to protect the Isawa.
223 War with the Rocs. The Ki-Rin Clan divide into four groups after the defeat of the Rocs, seeking a new way home to Rokugan.
231 The Silken Smile Theater is founded.
234 Gisei Toshi believed to be destroyed in a natural disaster. The Shinmaki Shinseist sect is formed.
243 The koku is invented by Yasuki Tanaka. Death of Asako Ingen.
245 Battle of Cherry Blossom Snow Lake, ear Beiden Pass, involving Lion, scorpion, Dragon clans and Ronins
247 Death of Hantei Genji.
251 Emperor Hantei Ningi orders Togashi Kaze to show him his martial arts techniques. Deaths of Togashi Kaze and Doji Kuzume.
254 The Brotherhood of Shinsei is formally separated into multiple sects at the 12th Great Convocation.
267 The Dai-Chikai Dojo is recognized as its own school (Phenix school of yojimbo)
283 Isawa Akuma summons and gives his name to Akuma no Oni. Death of Isawa Akuma.
314 Hiruma Kazuma's bonds of trust with the nezumi lead to a nezumi-Crab Clan alliance.
329 The Crane castle Shiro Giji is supposedly burned by a fanatical ronin. The Daidoji Harriers secretly begin operating out of the ruins of Shiro Giji.
339 The Snake Clan is founded by Isawa Chuda.
347 The Centipede Clan is founded.
353 Victory With No Strike. The Asahina family is founded by Isawa Asahina.
363 Asahina Seido is constructed.
371 Death of Hantei Bosai. Hantei Fujiwa becomes Emperor.
383 The ancestors of Heichi and the Boar Clan are lost in the Twilight Mountains.
387 The Crane-Crab War begins. The Yasuki family joins the Crab Clan.
391 The Gozoku kidnap Hantei Kusada, Hantei Fujiwa's heir. Death of Hantei Fujiwa. Otomo Tohojatsu installed as Imperial Regent until Kusada comes of age.
397 Hantei Kusada becomes Emperor.
400 The Crane-Crab War ends. The Sparrow Clan is founded by Doji Suzume.
401 Chuda Tamihei becomes Snake Clan Champion. The release of the Shuten Doji leads to the corruption of the Snake Clan.
402 The Snake Clan is possessed by a Shuten Doji and subsequently destroyed by the Phoenix Clan. Death of Chuda Tamihei. Birth of Asako Beiwa.
408 The Lion Clan attempts to invade the Phoenix Clan lands through Treacherous Pass, but their advance is halted by a small band of bushi and shugenja. Death of Shiba Kaigen.
412 Matsu Itagi enters the Shadowlands. Hida Tadaka enters to find Itagi to avert war with the Lion Clan. Deaths of Matsu Itagi and Hida Tadaka.
428 Hantei Kusada begins using members of the Brotherhood of Shinsei as spies against the Gozoku. The Gozoku burns down three sohei monasteries, turning the peasants against the conspirators. Hantei Kusada's sons fostered to the Crane Clan, Phoenix Clan and Scorpion Clan.
429 The Gusai family name is awarded. Death of Gusai. Gusai Mori becomes the Mantis Clan Champion.
432 Hantei Yugozohime is fostered to the Lion Clan by the Gozoku.
435 Death of Hantei Kusada. Hantei Yugozohime becomes Empress. The Gozoku are removed from power. Death of Bayushi Atsuki.
436 Otomo Hokusai becomes the Otomo family daimyo.
440 A group of gaijin ambassadors are allowed to enter the Imperial Court by Hantei Yugozohime.
442 The gaijin are expelled from Otosan Uchi. The Battle of White Stag and Battle of Raging Seas occur. Deaths of Hantei Yugozohime, Akodo Kurojin and Garen Hawthorne. Hantei Muhaki becomes Emperor. The Tortoise Clan is founded by Agasha Kasuga. Matsu Zaruko becomes Lion Clan Champion. Shinjo Yonaru becomes the Unicorn Clan Champion.
447 The Boar Clan is founded by Heichi.
471 Stranding of the Deathless, th koutetsukan of the pirate Yasuki Fumoki
472 The Emperor's Blessing written by Miya Mai.
475 Birth of Asahina Yajinden.
487 Hantei X becomes Emperor.
499 Otomo Jama discovers the journals of Kuni Nakanu.
500 Heichi Shizugai witnesses Matsu Dainoku killing Mirumoto Chorude in an illegal duel. Heichi Batsuda is killed by Dainoku in a later duel. Shizugai becomes Boar Clan Champion.
501 Boar Clan Champion Heichi Shizugai refuses to pay taxes. Every member of the Boar Clan is sacrificed by Agasha Ryuden to create the Anvil of Despair. Emerald Champion Doji Shioden orders the Boar Clan eradicated, only to find them already destroyed.
508 Asahina Yajinden uses the Anvil of Despair to create the Bloodswords. Yajinden then gives them to four of the Clan Champions, Bayushi Rikoji, Doji Tanaka, Hida Tenburo and Akodo Meikuko.
509 Death of Hida Tenburo and his family. Suicide of Akodo Meikuko.
510 Suicide of Doji Tanaka. Battle of Stolen Graves. Destruction of the Gusai family and death of Gusai Rioshida.
511 Death of Kaiu Gineza. Discovery of the Naga city Nirukti. Hantei XI orders the city destroyed and all its inhabitants slaughtered.
515 Death of Asahina Yajinden.
518 Bayushi Tsuya captures Shiro no Meiyo from the Lion Clan
525 The Crane Clan begins the use of courier Pigeons.
533 Battle of Kenson Gakka. Death of Mirumoto Dehoda. Death of Bayushi Tsuya
535 A massive invading Crab army, Kakita Wayozu and a group of Kakita Artisans vanish without a trace on the bridge crossing a ravine near the River of White Waters.
545 Scorpion Clan Champion Bayushi Junzen entrusts his son Bayushi Tesaguri with the 4th, 5th and 6th Black Scrolls. Tesaguri sells the scrolls to the Phoenix Clan. Yogo Daimyo Yogo Ichinore reports this to Junzen who has Tesaguri captured bound to a tree, starting the tradition of Traitor's Grove. Death of Bayushi Tesaguri.
554 Battle at Fortune's Plain
569 Birth of Hantei XVI.
580 The Lion Clan attempt to annex the lands of the Centipede Clan, but fail.
582 The Crane go to war with the Lion Clan.
589 Hantei XV retires. Hantei XVI becomes Emperor.
592 A vision from Shinjo set the Unicorn Clan on their journey home to Rokugan.
597 Deaths of Hantei XVI and Hida Tsuneo. Hantei XVII becomes Emperor.
600 The Crane fail in a military campaign against the Scorpion led by Daidoji Kukojin
622 Seppun Hanako pens the Articles of Heaven.
634 The Kusatte Iru is defeated by Kuni Harike and Kuni Ryute. Deaths of Kuni Harike and Kuni Ryute.
643 Akodo Mayuko forged a blade that cut through eight criminals in a single stroke, setting the record.
644 Iroshu founds Dojo Raiden. (bujustu & trading school in Mantis clan)
651 War of the Lost Pups.
675 The first Tournament of Thunder is held by the Order of Thunder.
689 Otomo Madoko writes Subtlety of Court.
704 Battle of Kyuden Tonbo. Dragonfly Clan founded.
711 Battle of the Great Climb. Deaths of Akodo Yokutsu and Mirumoto Asijin.
715 Battle of Tidal Landbridge. Deaths of Daidoji Masashigi and Kinjiro no Oni.
716 Battle of the Cresting Wave. Battle of the Thundering Shrine. Construction of the Kaiu Wall. Loss of the lands of the Hiruma family. Desolation of the lands of the Kuni family. Deaths of Kuni Osaku and The Maw.
740 Hantei XXII becomes Emperor of Rokugan.
743 Shimizu Gochoku founds the Lion's Shimizu family.
750 Battle of the Bloody Retreat. Battle of Sleeping River. Hare Clan is founded.
755 Death of Hiruma Sokokai and the loss of the Hiruma Scout School.
774 The Oracle of Fire becomes corrupted and attacks the Phoenix Clan before disappearing into the Shadowlands.
782 Morikage Toshi is abandoned by the Phoenix Clan, cursed by the Oracle of Air
798 Birth of Agasha Kitsuki.
804 Mirumoto Kaijuko's gempukku.
805 Deaths of Mirumoto Watanubo and Mirumoto Ujino. Mirumoto Kaijuko becomes first female Mirumoto Daimyo.
815 Return of the Ki-Rin, Battle of White Shore Plain, and the death of Bayushi Tozasu. The slumber of the Naga is disturbed by the Shadowlands.
816 The Shinjo Dojo is established. The new Hiruma Scout School is established.
820 Agasha Kitsuki founds the Kitsuki family.
821 Hantei XXIII becomes Emperor of Rokugan.
825 The Moto family rides into the Shadowlands. The Dark Moto are created.
827 The Dark Moto attack the Unicorn Clan and the Crab Clan. The White Guard is formed. Battle of the Chrysanthemum Petals. Battle of the Broken Daisho. Death of Shiba Toriiko.
834 The Falcon Clan is founded.
839 Agasha Daijoku discovers a lost scroll written by Agasha and deciphers the Nazo Bubun no Agasha.
845 Shosuro Kenjo fails to blackmail an Ide representative, and is executed. Kenjo's sensei Shosuro Kojuno informs Kenjo's family and the Scorpion Clan Champion Bayushi Tanjaro.
859 Misunderstanding between the Sparrow Clan and the Tattered Ear Tribe.
911 Shimizu Otori launches an attack against Akodo Miyawa that lasts a decade.
923 Usagi Nidei and the Hare Clan Sword are lost in the Shadowlands. (date approximate)
925 Naga ruins are discovered by Shinjo Fujimaka and Ikoma Gohesu.
927 Akodo Giri launches an attack against the Shimizu family, slaughtering them to the last man and burning their holdings. Death of Shimizu Otori.
958 The King of the Trolls is awakened and later returned to sleep.
960 Night of Falling Stars
962 Kakita Rensei travels to Shiro Matsu to challenge their Champion to avenge the fall of Shiro no Yojin. Death of Kakita Rensei.
976 Shiba Tejina founded by Shiba Tsuna.
989 Founding of the Temple of Blood.
1050 Kyuden Toketsu is founded by Yasuki Toketsu.
1060 Yasuki Toketsu discovers the shrine to Kuni Harike .
1078 Births of Hantei XXXVIII and Isawa Ujina.
1085 The Master discovers Isawa Ujina.
1086 Isawa Ujina begins his training with the Master.
1087 Isawa Nesan becomes Master of Fire.
1090 Battle at Kyuden Kitsune. Birth of Matsu Tsuko.
1098 Disappearance and rescue of Doji Ninube. Ninube and Isawa Ujina are married. Death of Isawa Nodori.
1099 Birth of Akodo Toturi. The Master warns Isawa Ujina about Doji Ninube.
1100 Birth of Isawa Kaede, death of Doji Ninube and Isawa Ujina becomes Master of Void. The Battle at Fate Gorge and death of Matsu Uniri.

a serie of Great People :

Hiruma General
Hida banuken General
Kakita General
Mirumoto General
Seppun General
Hantei Yugozohime General
Matsu General
Ichiro Fureheshu General
Shiba Kaigen General
Kakita Koshiro Great Artist
otomo Great Artist
Hantei genji Great Artist
Soshuro Great Artist
Bayushi tangen Great Artist
Kaiu Great engineer
Kuni Osaku Great engineer
Doji Yasurugi Great Engineer
Akodo Mayuko Great engineer
Kaiu Gineza Great Engineer
Yasuki Great Merchant
Yasuki tanaka Great Merchant
Yasuki Toketsu Great Merchant
Asako Ingen Great Prohet or scientist
Asahina Great Prophet
Jama Suru Great Prophet
Kitsu Great Prophet
Isawa Great Prophet
Asako Great Prophet
Uikku Great prophet
Shinsei Great prophet
Doji Suzume Great Prophet (against his will)
Kuni Great scientist
Kun Mokuna Great scientist
Agasha Great Scientist
Agasha Daijoku Great scientist
Ikoma Great scientist
Asako Chukkan Great scientist
Kuni Nakanu Great scientist (doomed anyway)
Doji taehime Great spy
Mirumoto kaijuko Great spy
Hantei Kusada'sons Great Spy
Shosuro Taisuke Great spy
Agasha Enshoku Great spy
Seppun Hanako Great,,, Lawyer ?

The problem is that some clans are well supplied with certain kind of Great People and others have no one of certain kind.

The simplest way to solve this problem is to give the Great People only their first name. After all, the wonders will influence mostly whose kind of Great people appear in the differents clans., so somehow we will retrieve the sorting by clan.

I did these before I saw your post with the colors... Colors shouldn't be hard to change... I pulled these out of the RPG books...

Spoiler :

I also put together some roughs of buttons... I'll do a lot more work on these..

Spoiler :

Wonderful work, they look great!

No worries on the mons, we can always alter these things later.

I’ll do what I can and put up some of the clan texts in the next few days, as time permits.

This is my second attempt at a Crab Clan Button...

Spoiler :

I think the next thing I'll try is running it into the border of the button instead of having it's own border inside the button border... Might even work on making a new border...

Edit:
As of finishing this post and looking at the screen capture more I decided I wasn't happy with it... So I did some more work...

Spoiler :

I have a concept which I am trying to figure out how to implement..

The Oracles...

I initially was thinking you could replace the religion aspect of the game with the Books (Book of Void, Book of Fire, etc) but I couldn't come up with an exemplary systems... However, the thought turned into me thinking about the Oracles and Dragons. Now I have no idea how to implement them either (other than as great people)..

Any ideas?

I'm not convinced about religions based on different rings. The only differences between clans would be the schools of magic... with everyone for the Phenix.

a mechanism may be devised to represent the mastering of the elements by a clan to give power to its shugenja, but i wouldn't base it upon religions. More on special buildings, and cexpensive ones.

as for the Oracles... they have an effect on Rokugan only lately

I would have seen Oracles actions as some event, not as unit or Great People. Only in the most recent editions of the card games coulf be defeated. So design a immensely powerful Oracle unit (who are not especially tied to any clan), would cause too great unbalance in the game.

Alright, almost ready to put up some files.

Meanwhile, a few of thoughts I’m having:

• Population levels should be adjusted, but I don’t think this is possible, except maybe by modifying the SDK. If I have a choice I’d like to stay away from the SDK unless the benefit is huge. Only the very largest Rokugani cities are ever above 100,000, and that’s equivalent of a size 6 city in Civ 4. For all intensive purposes, then, divide all populations by 10. Thus, a size 1 would be 100, size 6 would be 15,000, and a size 12 would be 105,100.
  • I’m thinking of having new cities being renamed as they grow larger. For example, Midaki sano Mura becomes Midaki sano Toshi (say around 6) and “shiro” becomes “kyuden” in a similar fashion. Dunno. Would require some fancy Python logic for sure. It may be more work than it’s worth.
  • I’m thinking of having schools for buildings which allows for different types of samurai. Choices are bushi, courtier, monk, ninja and shugenja, Most large cities don’t have more than 2 or 3 different schools for a clan, so I’d expect 3 would be a likely limit.
  • Could there be an Enlightenment Victory? But how so…
  • I’d like to have something like the Apostolic Place/United Nations in the form of the Emporer’s court.
  • I’d be okay with exploring some kind of dueling mechanic.
  • As an event, simulate a tournament (like the various champions) where each clan chooses a unit, then the game simulates a battle with them (behind the scenes) and the winner gains XP and promotions, or Great General.
  • Some resources need to be banned (no banana, corn, pig, sheep or wine). Perhaps introduce tea as a luxury resource?

Top Bottom