Labyrinth Lord: Retro D&D Clone for the 21st Century

Luckymoose

The World is Mine
About a week ago I was shown this system by a friend of mine, and we then ran it last night in a very fun session. If any of you ever played the older editions of D&D you would be familiar with it. Labyrinth Lord is a free clone of the Original D&D and AD&D 1e rulesets designed in a way that most people played the game back in the day. With all the discussion about 5e D&D on the horizon I think it is only fair to check out where the game came from, especially in such a fresh and compact ruleset.

Labyrinth Lord is free to download here.

I recommend getting both the Core Rules and Advanced Edition Companion, as the Core Rules are more focused on the way the first editions of D&D was played, while the AEC adds many new rules that follow the vein of AD&D in a nice 100% compatible package.

Check it out.

I'll probably try this system in February at a small local game convention. The GM is actually using it to run a "West Marches" style game, which are probably some of my most favorite types of games. Just... Explore the unknown abandoned unexplored areas of the world and its hidden crypts and dungeons.

I'll probably try Microscope, Eclipse Phase and a few other games at the same convention.

But yes, Labyrinth Lord seems to be one of the most famous retro-clones out there. I've read it a bit but never played it.

I've been considering running a play by post treasure hunting, dungeon diving campaign of it on this forum in much the same way you have run GURPS. I think the system is just a brilliant mix of the two editions and makes for a fantastic and not hard to grasp entry to the genre.

Top Bottom