Lack of ships on the king's part causes me to lose

superalf

Chieftain
This remake of the classic has a lot of potential but it can be very frustrating at times. I finished playing a game where I built a lot of ship-of-lines and was able to destroy all the king's man-o-wars. He still had more troops though so the war didn't end. The king never built more ships so he could not send the rest of his units. I waited 30 or 40 turns and then the game ended with the king winning!

Is that fair? I was ready and waiting for him to send the rest of his troops but it never happened. In my mind this is a bug, as I'm getting penalized for the king not having enough ships. I'm running the latest patch (v 1.01). I can't believe this has not been patched 1 year after the game was released. It shows a very poor support for the game, post-release on the developer's part.

I'm guessing I'm not the only one that this has happened to...

Normally when you sink all the King's ships it is game over and you have won, provided you have defeated all landed troops (those left in Europe don't count). Could there have been one or two units of the REF still left somewhere on the map? You could look for them with WorldBuilder.

I don't think there were any REF units left on the map. I destroyed all the ones visible to me and nearby my colonies. Unless he sent units to an invisible part of the map which doesn't make sense.

I don't think there were any REF units left on the map. I destroyed all the ones visible to me and nearby my colonies. Unless he sent units to an invisible part of the map which doesn't make sense.

Unfortunately, once you destroy the initial attack waves, the remaining king's ships are often wandering around the edges of the map. It can be a real challenge to find that last fugitive ship. Only by exterminating every last ship can you actually win the game.

IMHO this is a real drawback of the limited AI. You would think the king would use his ships to offload his remaining troops somewhere nearby, away from your defending ships. But in fact those last galleons just wander.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

I had one game in which the King's forces managed to capture a treasure unit. Keep in mind that any captured units also have to be eliminated.

I've never had to destroy expeditionary force man-o-wars at all. Once all ground forces are killed, the game is over.

Top Bottom