landgrab on emperor! friggin hell!!

With your warmongering skills [you could have done something]? C'mon...and how about that warmongering terrain (mountains over on a river.....phft!!!!!) [you can make a great kill zone over there] What's was the issue? It's the ring of death in there! With your skills? The damage you could've done man!!! [you could be ruling the world by now]
You'd still have to get that worker over to mine the irrigation and work a few bonus square or two.. [so that that spot can become productive]

Jawz II said:
and i would suggest you learn how to read

i already said ive won on empror many times, but i guess you couldnt read any of the 5 times ive already said it :rolleyes:

Why don't you just do whatever you did those times you won? :lol:

Look, a bunch of really excellent players have given you really excellent suggestions. Even middling players like myself have tried to help out. You keep insisting that you have had success without using the strategies and tactics we propose. So ... just go play the way you want to play. No point in wasting everyone's time - yours included, by the way - asking for advice you don't want and seem also not to need.

I think the main problem was that someone misinterpreted his question, and then other people came and commented on the original misinterpretation, resulting in all this talk about micromanagement, clowns, and governors.

This is my 4002th post? I guess the one at the top of the page was my 4000th, then.

satchel said:
Why don't you just do whatever you did those times you won? :lol:

Look, a bunch of really excellent players have given you really excellent suggestions. Even middling players like myself have tried to help out. You keep insisting that you have had success without using the strategies and tactics we propose. So ... just go play the way you want to play. No point in wasting everyone's time - yours included, by the way - asking for advice you don't want and seem also not to need.

yes im really twisting your arm here to make you tell me to go play on easier levels when i specifically asked for LANDGRABBING TIPS ON EMPEROR LEVEL

im sorry i did that, wasting your time and all... :(

i really needed you telling me that

one would think the title of this thread wouldve tipped you off, but i guess that didnt happen

and "playing as i usually do", why didnt i think of that?? :confused:

oh wait i did, if you wouldve read any of my posts you would know ive restarted and im currently kicking ass ;)

i realize you did have 1 landgrabbing tips, (tighter city spacing) however i disagree, i think its a bad idea, once i told you that, nobody made you stick around and make wiseass comments

next time you feel like you have something important to say, feel free to shut up, cause i dont wanna hear it (that goes for anyone else who might some great tips about something other than the land grab bit)

okaythanksbye :thumbsup:

@ tomoyo, youre right, i didnt ask for micromanagement tips, not that theyre bad tips, i hardly take care of regular management, im waaay too lazy to do micro management like that, in fact as soon as i build my 1st city there are 2 things i do:
1. set research to 0
2. activate governor managing citizens mood in all cities, i think its the best thing since sliced bread, saving me the hassle of revolting cities or having to deal with clowns, its well worth the loss of whatever (IMO), in civ2 the "make clowns in the burning cities" bit of every round really used to piss me off

if any of these assclowns wouldve read anything i typed they would know the game later on isnt hard to me, the 1st part of it is (mostly landgrab bit), i dont need any tips on what to do later

usually by the time infantry(replacable parts) becomes available, ive taken at least 4-5 other nations and im pretty much invincible to the AI, its just a matter of time before i take those other nations

but guess what satchel? dont belive me, cause if you dont, youll really break my heart :(

im telling you all this, just to impress you satchel, please belive me??

pleeeeaaaaaaaaaaase?

:lol:

This thread has degenerated a fair bit, which is a bit sad. I hope this doesn't inflame things further, but I think that anyone who really does want to improve their early expansion skills (aka landgrabbing) really does need to pay attention to details (ie micromanagement). Therefore I don't think it inappropriate for people to suggest micromanagement tips to someone asking for advice with regards to early expansion.

If Jawz II choses to play without micromanagement that's fine too, it is a legit variant. He wouldn't trouble the scorers in gotm, but I dare say, he wouldn't care.

This is just a game! Why are people getting upset over a game (albeit a very good game)? :)

Chill out folks :)

Tomoyo said:
This is my 4002th post? I guess the one at the top of the page was my 4000th, then.

That's only 12.3 posts per day, man! How are you ever going to overtake Dell19 at that rate?!

My ppd is going up steadily. Dell's is staying more or less constant. :) (And why Dell? Did I say something that I forgot about?)

No, I don't think you said anything you forgot. Dell just always has an eye-catching avatar, so I notice his post count. By contrast, I think TLC has had the same avatar for all 13000+ posts. Very stealthy...

You should have used Curt, the spam leader. Or Perfection; he's pretty well known. ;)

Oh well. I don't plan on catching up anyways. Their head start waas too much. :ack:

Just to make people a little more appreciated, I learned something from this thread and I got the guts to be thankful! I'll try the two tile city spacing now, since it was so well justified in this thread. Oh, and when that works, I'll come back and say thanks! And when I feel like playing a war games with upgrades and not something greater that can consume an individual, I'll go play starcraft or age of empires...

I would just like to say that I read all the advice on thread and I really appreciate it. Thanks to all of you.

well micromanaging is fine for those who do it, and yes it dose earn that little extra something every turn, and in the long run it can make a diffrence, absolutly

but in the few beginning turns it dosent make much more diffrence, its a long term thing

example i gave, lux bar thing, woulnt change a thing, i had 0 clowns anyway
tigher cityspacing, no diffrence, i had 2 cities, 2!

im sorry, i dont think having them 3 tiles from each other rather than 4 wouldnt make a diffrence, that 1 tile i didnt move away took 1 extra turn,but i dont think the corruption is so diffrent 4 tiles away compared 4 tiles so it will make a settler faster

in short, micromanagement benefits come from long term use, giving alittle edge every turn, not what i asked for

but in the few beginning turns it dosent make much more diffrence, its a long term thing
Actually.. micromanaging is much more important in the first few turns than in the long run.. because in the first few turns an extra shield or food might mean you may grow 30-50% faster, while after say turn 50 it may only be 5% difference

tigher cityspacing, no diffrence, i had 2 cities, 2!
placing your 2nd city 1 tile to the north would allow it to be founded 1 turn easrlier, and the cow would be irrigated 5 turns earlier.. meaning it would have grown to size 2 several turns faster (not even sure it is located on a river currently since the interface piece blocks the view)

@ Jawz, take civ that has agricultural trait, for example Mayans. It helps early growth and food production so you can have settlers faster and that way you can produce cities faster.

Gyathaar said:
Actually.. micromanaging is much more important in the first few turns than in the long run.. because in the first few turns an extra shield or food might mean you may grow 30-50% faster, while after say turn 50 it may only be 5% difference

placing your 2nd city 1 tile to the north would allow it to be founded 1 turn easrlier, and the cow would be irrigated 5 turns earlier.. meaning it would have grown to size 2 several turns faster (not even sure it is located on a river currently since the interface piece blocks the view)

you are absolutly right, a single extra food or shield is worht a 1000 later, since population multiplies exponentially, i.e 1,2,4,8,16 and not 1,2,3,4,5

but, explain how i would get an extra food or shield early on through micromanaging? give me an example, and dont tell me about clowns, usually that early my cities arent big enough to need them, specially not when i have a luxuary

and your example of the cow being irrigated applies to that one city, but overall as argument for tight cities, it dosent apply
again i think cities closer to each other means less land for me, i want more!

and again, from the time i build a city, to the time it can produce a settler is at least a good 20-30 rounds, 1 extra turn for movement isnt a huge diffrence

Jopedamus I said:
@ Jawz, take civ that has agricultural trait, for example Mayans. It helps early growth and food production so you can have settlers faster and that way you can produce cities faster.

good call, also expantionist civs are great for early expansion, not only because they get one scout, and the ability to make scouts, their greatest strenght is in the villages, with ottomans(non expansionist) i get angry warriors out of them 9 times outta 10, but expantionist civs get sometimes cities and settlers, and alot of advances

so i guess the best choice for landgrabbing would be a civ that is agricultural and expansionist

Jawz II said:
but, explain how i would get an extra food or shield early on through micromanaging?
You can make sure that you have no overrun on production or food.

If you are making something that requires 20 shields, and you are producing 6spt, it'll take 4 turns, but will waste 4 shields, as you don't keep the extra. You could either MM your tiles to do 7-7-6, and gain a turn's worth of production, or do 6-6-6-2 (or whatever) and MM your tiles so you get the additional food.

Similarly, you don't get to keep the extra food when you grow, so try and ensure you have no surplus there either.

but, explain how i would get an extra food or shield early on through micromanaging? give me an example
Lets take the picture you posted.. its a bit hard to say what would be best starting moves since I dont see if the mined tiles are bonus grass or normal grass, and I didnt spend too much time thinking on it either, these are just initial thoughts.
My starting moves would prolly be to first set research to pottery on max, start a warrior. Send worker west to the BG and start mine it (and put city to work this tile). Mine bonus grass first, then road it. after road move to the other BG towards lux, mine that then road, and eventually then move to spices. I would first build 2 warriors, which would take umm.. 9 turns I think, then set town to build pyramids while waiting for pottery to come in.. depending if the warriors saw the cow early on exploration.. if they did I would build umm.. 1 or 2 more warriors or so I think, then switch to settler so it completed on growth to size 3.. whenever city grew in size I would raise lux tax.

Looks like you have england near you.. you should have run into them and be able to trade for pottery from them before research finished. If still had not seen cow, switch build to granary and chop down the forest, then after that road it.. and this point I might be able to drop lux.

Next in order would be a settler (if I didnt build it before granary in capital) to go to square nw of cow. Get cow irrigated, chop one of the forests to hurry granary. The 2nd town would be able to produce a settler every 6 turns, possibly every 4th turn depending on what is in the squares I cant see.
Capital would then build barracks and only build military and workers from now on. Assuming those mined squares are bonus grass, capital would build 2x spear/archer and 1 worker every 5 turns at size 5 (or 4 warriors and 1 worker) - a worker only every 10 turns if no granary thou.
The military units would be used to clear land for the settlers from the settler factory to settle...

Top Bottom