Large (or Huge) maps on Deity

Plumfairy

Prince
I recently moved from Immortal to Deity and I'm doing OK on Standard maps. But when playing Immortal, I occasionally liked to play on Large or Huge maps. Is that even viable on Deity? Or is the "runaway civ" phenomenon too much of a problem?

I decided to try it out, and thanks to my God-tier civ (Poland) I'm actually holding my own, although I'm not sure if I'll be able to fend off the Zulu empire to my South. But playing as Poland, I was able to go both Tradition & Liberty. When playing a normal empire, does Liberty usually outperform Tradition, or can a tall 4 city empire do OK when facing the larger AI empires of a Large map?

4 city is borderline on large and I'd say too small on huge. The thing is that 4 city on large is similar to like 3 city on standard and 4 on huge is like 2 on standard due to how penalties and increased prices work.
Can you win with 2 or 3 cities on standard ? yes but it's harder. I don't really play bigger maps because the clogging on deity can get insane but I'd preffer Liberty I think.

Zulus on deity are always a threat regardless of size. They are an outlier, not the norm. I don't see any reason why you cannot win larger maps on deity, especially non-domination victories.

That makes sense. Given that you probably want at least 5 cities on Large, is it still worth it to go all Tradition with a normal civ, (i.e. not Poland) or is Tradition more-or-less obsolete on the larger maps?

Update on my game: Welp, just as I feared the Zulu swarmed me & were unstoppable. So after deleting all their units & half their cities via IGN and then conquering the rump of their empire, I called it a game. Stupid Zulu.

That makes sense. Given that you probably want at least 5 cities on Large, is it still worth it to go all Tradition with a normal civ, (i.e. not Poland) or is Tradition more-or-less obsolete on the larger maps?

Update on my game: Welp, just as I feared the Zulu swarmed me & were unstoppable. So after deleting all their units & half their cities via IGN and then conquering the rump of their empire, I called it a game. Stupid Zulu.

Liberty vs Tradition is driven by total number of cities you intend to self found.

Self found 6+ (including capital) : Liberty

Self found just 4 (including capital) : Tradition

5 self founded cities (including capital) tends to be in the awkward place where it's not really fully benefiting from either Liberty or Tradition. (In most cases your either better off finding a 6th city to self found and going Liberty or going Tradition and simply don't found the 5th best site.)

On huge, it would be difficult to imagine a case in which there wouldn't be 6+ cities you'd want to found, and so that would indeed always be Liberty.

For large, I'd guess that most of the Liberty, but there would still be some cases where Tradition was desirable due to lack of local diversity of luxaries.

Top Bottom