Late game snowballing/power disparities

I think that it's worth mentioning that while there are games with runaways, I've played a good number of games in which competition was still pretty fierce in the late game with no clear unbeatable odds. Certainly there are smaller nations who aren't going to make it, but at least there were multiple contenders for the top spot. That seems ideal to me.

Indeed, even tho a big scientific lead can grant you a lot of the wonders there is far less wonder hoarding due to current VP dynamics which helps a lot to mitigate runaways, while the happiness system tends to slow down a wider playstyle.

To add my last game experience to this thread. Immortal speed playing on communitas with high sea level.

All AIs were really close to each other. The only 2 exceptions were me (ahead in about 4 social policies, was playing as Indonesia and build my game to be in constant WLTKD, also lot of space and faith of the masses) and Morroco who had his unique tile improvement + ability giving him a bunch of extra culture.

In the end, the techs were also extremely close (about 3 to 4 were the differences between all of us for most of the game - before I rushed to space).

Factors that made us get to that point:
1) Sciences Funding and Scholars in Residence were active for most of the game (playing with the mod that reworks World congress so everyone had enough votes to push that)
2) Given the small amounts of space, all civs had about the same amount of cities 6 - 9
3) Given the map was mostly water nobody had a chance to take over someone until late game
4) Wonders Expanded mod allowed everyone a chance to build some World Wonders

I think especially 3 and 4 show that if there isn't someone like Genghis who takes over half of the map you can actually get decent balanced games. In the end there will be only 1 or 2 candidates to win (Morroco for Culture/Science and the Ottomans for Diplomacy), but if it wasn't that way you couldn't try to prevent them from winning.

I'm playing a Tradition Ottomans game and am using only 3 cities. After Renaissance ive managed to acquire pretty much every single Wonder I wanted. I'm easily a dozen techs ahead of my 2nd, and some people just got their ideology while I have 12 tenets.

You'd think I'd be easy to kill, but only 15 Janissaries and 4 Artillery (later upgraded) with 4 Ironclads have pushed back everything, and when certain opponents wouldn't go away, I invaded and burned their empire to the ground.

I've been slowly defeated in the Diplomacy area. At first, I was handily leading due to Religion and completing many quests (I don't have statecraft). The AIs conspired to decolonize and sanction me. However, I've been requesting one sphere of influence after another since this happened, and NOT ONE has been prevented: the AIs don't seem to take Sphere seriously. So after wiping out my annoying neighbour, in the end I now have more votes than ever because the AIs didn't maintain their conspiracy.

Fast version: I'm snowballing with 3 cities and nothing the AIs are doing is preventing this.

I'm playing a Tradition Ottomans game and am using only 3 cities. After Renaissance ive managed to acquire pretty much every single Wonder I wanted. I'm easily a dozen techs ahead of my 2nd, and some people just got their ideology while I have 12 tenets.

You'd think I'd be easy to kill, but only 15 Janissaries and 4 Artillery (later upgraded) with 4 Ironclads have pushed back everything, and when certain opponents wouldn't go away, I invaded and burned their empire to the ground.

If you're that far ahead of the AI it may just be that your gameplay is strong enough to play on a higher difficulty level. Depends on how usual this is for you of course.

Ah I see.

I think that inasmuch as my early game is strong, then yes this is about par for the course I'd say.

Have you tried playing on the next level up? I found that solved my issues with snowballing as the AI get more bonuses over time (although I only play King-Emperor myself).

Have you tried playing on the next level up? I found that solved my issues with snowballing as the AI get more bonuses over time (although I only play King-Emperor myself).

I'm in a similar position difficulty wise (consistently winning/snowballing on immortal) but I'm hesitant to finally move to deity for a few reasons. First and foremost, I exclusively play for domination and the metaphorical dust needs to settle balance change wise (slingers/archers range 1?!?!?) before I'd feel comfortable giving it a go. I also don't play very optimally because I enjoy the 'simcity' aspects of the game. I worry deity would punish that to the point of being un-fun.

Soo what I've found works in the interim is increasing the player count. It creates more competition for land, wonders, etc. and gives other AI an opportunity to gobble their neighbors and threaten me. Sadly the issue here is late game stability.

Top Bottom