Latest Patch / Update

sorry - I have modified the globaldefine.xml file for reducing the unhappiness for each citizen to .5, etc and do not wish to have these settings changed.

I downloaded the new patch file and noticied it changed these settings in game.... I was just wondering what file changed them.

thanks

I fixed (for myself) the issue with unhappiness and a few cities.

I made the unhappiness factor .5 per pop instead of 1 and took the unhappiness per city from 3 to 1.5

Game is more balanced.... people aren't rioting because their city is too large, and then you start a new city...

thanks

I fixed (for myself) the issue with unhappiness and a few cities.

I made the unhappiness factor .5 per pop instead of 1 and took the unhappiness per city from 3 to 1.5

Game is more balanced.... people aren't rioting because their city is too large, and then you start a new city...

I have to ask, but doesn't this pretty much make happiness a non-factor in checking expansion/conquest, effectively removing the mechanic? I can respect that it may be more fun for you but have you tried picking up a couple happiness policies in your games? As long as I balance my happiness with expansion I don't find I have problems with it.

no - it just stops ridiculous unhappiness.

City size 5 = 5 unhappy people? Why? why should people also be unhappy if you try and expand your empire? To me it should be just the opposite. Romans didn't riot when the empire expanded. They rioted when the empire contracted.

A better balance may be .75 per pop and .25 for each new city.

It is a game mechanic, like Zaldron said. Happiness is the only thing preventing one from mass expansion. With your happiness rules I would just spam settlers until there was no space left on the map.

no - it just stops ridiculous unhappiness.

City size 5 = 5 unhappy people? Why? why should people also be unhappy if you try and expand your empire? To me it should be just the opposite. Romans didn't riot when the empire expanded. They rioted when the empire contracted.

A better balance may be .75 per pop and .25 for each new city.

Because larger countries are much more difficult to manage.

The easiest way to control happiness is to control population, by using the "avoid growth" button in advance of situations where you think you might have low happiness.

Incidentally Thal, I've always found it odd that the only negative from negative happiness (That is, not strong negative happiness) is restricted growth. After all, when you've reached that point, you should be avoiding growth anyway!

The GA counter goes down as well. There was quite a lot of discussion about that when Civ5 was released, iirc, and the consensus was that it's a good mechanic because it's self-correcting. If unhappiness affected gold, production and culture as well, it would be tremendously difficult to overcome. Of course, if the unhappiness affected all these on a point-scale (5% per 1:c5unhappy:, say) it might be a different story - but that's not possible without the core, I believe.

That's very true. It would be silly to make it harder to get out of unhappiness once there.

Yet again, this is where stability would come into play, but that's just another pipe dream.

Top Bottom