Law 1. My vote for least useful spell in the game?

I generally play Good so HT isnt a horrible burden, nay.

If it was useless it wouldnt be there. I'm referring to least useful. If the armageddon counter has to be near max to get use of of a spell, it's less useful than something like enchanted blade which was useful from the moment you built your first adept.

perhaps gives other units in tile +4% healing (nonstacking)
or gives other units +1% healing per unit (stacking)

Not since .25. It used to be far too powerful (it was my favourite spell), but now it's near-useless as a Tier 3 spell (still useful, but feels more like a Tier 2 spell).
AH. I understand this was probably too powerful hitting a whole stack, but it isn't so great hitting just the caster, since it probably won't be enough to save low str casters from even equal level assassins. So I'd advocate changing it to affecting the strongest unit in the caster's stack.

I forgot about sanctify. That one might be even less useful.

Sanctify is imperative in the late game if the Infernal are spreading hell terrain all over the map. It is the only tier I spell that is so important.

I use Sanctify to great effect on city ruins, keeping the AC down. With raging barb games, it's imperative to do so. As such, I tend to have low AC games in general, at least until the Ashen Veil is founded (if it is).

As for actual spells: I kinda find water walking to be pretty pointless. Standard units just do not have enough move for the open sea.

The advantage is not open sea but spellcasting and sieging cities from a safe position (especially if you have Drown)

On water walking, there's nothing like standing on those little inland lakes, bombarding cities with Meteors.

The spell certainly has it's uses, but it's definitely not designed for long-distance voyages.

I like attacking from forest tiles with treetop defence and dance of blades, three first strikes gives you a nice edge over fortification bonuses

Sanctify is imperative in the late game if the Infernal are spreading hell terrain all over the map. It is the only tier I spell that is so important.

In the past I've found sanctify to be virtually useless because of the extreme micromanagement necessary. When I cleared hell terrain, I would still get more hell terrain expanding from the old growth squares that I sanctified last turn. So basically, unless I built dozens of adepts and stationed them everywhere in my territory (literally everywhere, so that every square could be sanctified every turn), it was a losing battle - hell terrain would continue to spread deeper regardless of what I sanctified.

Did this change in .30?

I've usually found sanctify relatively useless because hell won't spread in Good lands, and because the AI will never use it in rival territory. I changed it so that Defile raises the plot counter (so an evil civ can purposefully bring hell into good lands), and so that Good civs will sanctify everywhere.

Sanctify is not so much important for removing hell terrain from your terrain but more for cleaning the conquered lands and as I actually never play good, but neutral this is veeeery important.

On the other hands, if you start invading the hell infected lands and the AC Counter is that high than we are late in the game and you are already on a winning spree. Certainly your two Final Crush All Armies are already gathered and on their way to ... well crush all. Therefore the cleaning is more an optical effect, but has no significant importance anymore.

In general the importance of spell differs as per which civ you are playing.

As Amurites you will rank Charm very, very, very high. (as in general you rank the whole Mind Sorcery Line veery very very high)

I've usually found sanctify relatively useless because hell won't spread in Good lands, and because the AI will never use it in rival territory. I changed it so that Defile raises the plot counter (so an evil civ can purposefully bring hell into good lands), and so that Good civs will sanctify everywhere.

Hmm, that sounds like a pretty neat alternative. You mind pming me the steps on how to do that?

I don't feel like PMing. I'll just put it out here.
Spoiler :

Add this to C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\FfH2 030 MagisterMod\Assets\python\entrypoints\CvSpellInterface.py, and put spellDefile(pCaster) in the <PyResult> tag of the defile spell
Code:
def spellDefile(caster):
	pPlot = caster.plot()
	pPlot.changePlotCounter(6)
This adds 6 to the counter, but you can choose a different value if you want. The value is out of 100, and 10 or more makes the tile hell (I'm thinking 6 may be a little high. When I wrote it I though that 20 was still the threshold to make the land hell)

To make good AIs able to sanctify, just change the last conditional to this (I only included this part of the code because made other changes too, but they wouldn't make any sense unless you added a certain spell and terrain improvement that only exist in my modmod) Only the Blue part is different.
Code:
if (pPlayer.isHuman() == False and caster.getOwner() != pPlot.getOwner() [COLOR="Blue"]and pPlayer.getAlignment() != gc.getInfoTypeForString('ALIGNMENT_GOOD')[/COLOR]):

Top Bottom