Leaders are so rare!!!!!!!!!! any tips?

Also, when you finally get a unit with the ability to attack more than once in turn, go out of your way to do so. You're just about guaranteed a promotion on a second victory in the same turn so I figure the odds of getting a leader might be higher too.

I agree that barracks are key. Not only do you get that veteran bonus, but you can heal up your 1 hp elite units a lot faster with 'em.

In my last game I managed to get three leaders in the same turn, rushing three wonders (UN, Manhattan, and Heroic Epic). Of course I won the next turn with the vote by some carefully planned MPPs and goading my UN opponent into war.

If you do get a leader, unless you're going to get a special tech next turn or about to make peace, I don't believe in saving them. It's much easier to get a first leader when you have none than a second one when you've got one already.

I have never gotten a GL when attacking a city, only in the field. Has anyone gotten one when attacking a city?

Originally posted by GhostQ
Chances of getting leaders when elite units win battles: 1/16
Chances of getting leaders when elite units win battles and if u have a Heroic Epic: 1/12
this means it raises the percentage of getting a leader by approx. %2 which is not worth sacrificing ur first leader to build an army. leaders r best for hurrying pyramids and/or forbidden palace depending on the strats u employ and/or the diff. lvl ur playing at.

You're right, it only raises your odds 2%. You go from a 6.2% chance to an 8.3% chance.... hmm that is only a 34% increase in the number of GLs you get each game and alows you to build armies later. Yep, hardly worth your time.

Originally posted by johgn
I have never gotten a GL when attacking a city, only in the field. Has anyone gotten one when attacking a city?[/B]

I did last night. Richtofen showed up at the siege of Riga.

Originally posted by vulture

You're right, it only raises your odds 2%. You go from a 6.2% chance to an 8.3% chance.... hmm that is only a 34% increase in the number of GLs you get each game and alows you to build armies later. Yep, hardly worth your time.

It seems like there is some confusion as to the prereqs for Heroic Epic, Military Academy and Pentagon.

You need one victorious army to create Heroic Epic, which as vulture points out is quite useful.

Military academy allows you to build armies without leaders. You need Military Tradition and 5 barracks to build it. There is no mention that I have seen of requiring an army to build Military Academy.

The Pentagon requires 3 armies to build, and allows 4 units to be loaded into an army.

All I'm trying to say is that I don't think you need to ever create an army from a leader in order to build them with Military Academy.

But I'll still use my first leader to create an army every time :)

Sorry if I am posting what everyone already knows ...

Hey thanks.

I didn't know you didn't need a vicorious army to build the Military Academy.

I was under the impression that the victoious army allowed you access to all three small wonders.

First: I think you have to have had a victorious leader to build the military academy...

and Second: I've only got leaders when fighting cities, never in the field... I almost thought the odds where easier then... hmm

Originally posted by Dralix

(a bunch of crap)

Forgot to mention that my information came from the strategy guide. It could be wrong ...

Originally posted by Grey Fox
and Second: I've only got leaders when fighting cities, never in the field... I almost thought the odds where easier then... hmm

Man that is strange, I must have had like 30 GLs so far in all my games combined and not one from attacking a city.

GL not a problem. They show up about what the games says to expect.

My complaint is the leader unit has so little value in combat. I just save them for Wonders.

Thats because they are no combat unit... you use them to Hurry Improvments (Wonders, because you can) and build armies...

I just hope you have never tried attacking with one...

I have only played one game but it was with romans who are militaristic. I had no problem getting leaders: 2 were used up building key expensive wonders and the other 5 - 6 are leading armies. I only build units from barracks so they are vets to start. With a militaristic Civ they get up to elite soon so you have lost of chances of getting a leader. I also built heroic epic.

I am playing a game with Chinese tribe. Level is Chieftain (cause I started the game in tutorial mode). I got a lot of elite units, use them a lot to fight, but never got a leader ... and now is already 1800 ...

Anything wrong in my game???

One thing I've noticed is that it seems easier to get leaders on harder difficulties... I don't know this but on my games it has been so anyway...

I'm playing the Romans and I have got a lot of leaders in this game. I have used them both for armies and for rushing wonders. But you need to be careful where you use them in armies. First they're better with slow than with fast units. The fast units can usually retreat fom a succesful combat and survive to gain experience. Slow units can't, so an army of slow unist give them the chance to survive and grow. The other problem is that an srmy of (say) cavalry can actualy be worse than 3 cavalry units. The 3 loose cavalry can survive failed attacks by reatreating and get 3 attacks. The army can survive failed attacks but gets only 1 attacks. So armies are only useful when you fighting a really tough opponent where you know you can't kill him easily. The third thing is don't put elite units into armies: they can never become leaders themselves.

Originally posted by brianboru
The third thing is don't put elite units into armies: they can never become leaders themselves.

Are you sure about that? I can´t see why they couldn´t spawn leaders. Units inside an army get promoted just as usual, so why could they not get leaders?

And a general comment. I´m playing with the Iroquis now at Emperor level and Huge map, and I have been at war much, but not spectactularly much. I´ve had about 10 leaders so far (mid 1500´s). They come really easy in this game. :king:

And I am starting to get quite confident that you can´t have more than one leader at once. So use them at once unless you are at peace with everybody.

Can anyone confirm (or deny) whether you can have 2 GLs at the same time?

I've been saving the last leader I got to rush the Hoover Dam, and haven't seen a new GL since I got this one... and I've been in a constant state of war, with a LOT of elites in my arsenal.

It's possible that I'm just having a really long string of bad rolls of the computer dice, but I'm starting to wonder if I had used this GL to rush a less important Wonder, would I have gotten another one by now.

Has anyone had 2 Great Leader's show up on the Military Advisor screen at the same time?

Originally posted by IDSmoker
Can anyone confirm (or deny) whether you can have 2 GLs at the same time?

I have never ever had 2 leaders at the same time, and believe me, I saved a Leader for hundreds of years of battles once.

If you check the F3 screen, you can see a box that is called: "Current Leader" (or something), that one indicates somehow that you can only have one leader at the same time.

No, you can't have more than 1 leader at a time. But you can get more than 1 leader on 1 turn. If you get a leader, and he can make it back to a city and rush something on that turn, then continue fighting with your elites, you could get another leader that same turn.

there's a pretty intersesting SG going on in the Stories and Tales forums, where these guys are playing as the Zulu, and going without peace, the whole game, so the first time they meet a civ, they declare war. They've had so many leaders in that game, that at one point, they were using them to rush things like cathedrals and universities... also, if it hasn't been said, military academy requires an army as a pre-req to build.

Of course, i dont' war nearly enough to get many GL's, i'm a lover :love: , not a fighter :die!:

Top Bottom