[NFP] Least Favorite Ability?

Certainly Maya's. Both are kinda bad.

Civ ability - Mayab
Cities do not receive additional Housing from being adjacent to fresh water or coast. Cities gain +1 Amenity for each Luxury Resource adjacent to the City Center. Farms grant +1 Housing and +1 Gold.

Leader bonus - Ix Mutal Ajaw
Non-capital cities gain +10% to all yields if within six tiles of the Mayan Capital, and -15% to all yields if more than six tiles away. +5 Combat Strength for all units within six tiles of the Mayan Capital.

1. Holy Roman Emperor is probably tops for me, just because I don't want to conquer city states, nor feel like I'm not playing the civ to its strengths if I'm not doing so. Hard to turn your nose up at an extra policy slot, (even if extra Military slot is going to be the least valuable one, to me), and the rest of Germany's complete package is pretty solid, but man, I don't like that City State bit hanging out there. I hated it in Civ5 when Mongolia had it, and I don't like it any better now. Other warmonger abilities don't tend to jazz me, but at least I can envision how I'd play them if, like, I made a game with only the most punchable AI opponents, and turned off every win-con except for Domination. "Holy Roman Emperor" doesn't even give me that.

2. Swift Hawk just doesn't work well, and at best conjures up the idea of a slogging, dragging, never-ending war game ahead of you, like an Alexander game but not as successful.

3. Bannockburn is here for reasons stated above - it's too situational, hard to swing towards your advantage, and would make much much more sense being about wars of reconquest. I like the rest of Scotland's design, or I guess I should say that Scottish Enlightenment is the headliner there, the Golf Courses are nice-enough flavor and help assist the CUA, and the Highlander is, well, it's an easy 4 era score points and comes right around the time of corps so it's not too taxing to prepare for it and pop a couple scouts out, pair 'em up and upgrade them for a quick clean-up unit. But Bannockburn, like Radio Oranje, feels like an empty ability more than anything, but Radio Oranje at least gets you something, even if it's not particularly noteworthy.

And I'll defend Georgia's abilities as being fun and interesting when you're dedicated to playing their way. Especially with Dramatic Ages going. I mean, I always have Dramatic Ages on these days, but with Georgia it's basically a must.

All that said, I finished my first Vietnam game yesterday, having been put off for a while by seemingly (to me) lackluster bonuses that I couldn't make heads or tails of how to best take advantage of. I finally decided to just roll up a hot, wet continents map and go in without a plan, and I ended up having maybe the most fun I've ever had with this game. Hard to tell how much of an effect Nine Dragon River Delta had, especially as the game doesn't make it easy to see those yields, but I was flying the whole game, and Drive Out Aggressors made easy work of Genghis' attempts to conquer me (though the Voi Chién wasn't a ton of help there, since it was, you know, Mongolia. Still a strong and versatile unit.) Anyway, point being that even abilities that seem unexciting on paper can lead to cool and different game experiences.

All that said, I finished my first Vietnam game yesterday, having been put off for a while by seemingly (to me) lackluster bonuses that I couldn't make heads or tails of how to best take advantage of. I finally decided to just roll up a hot, wet continents map and go in without a plan, and I ended up having maybe the most fun I've ever had with this game. Hard to tell how much of an effect Nine Dragon River Delta had, especially as the game doesn't make it easy to see those yields, but I was flying the whole game, and Drive Out Aggressors made easy work of Genghis' attempts to conquer me (though the Voi Chién wasn't a ton of help there, since it was, you know, Mongolia. Still a strong and versatile unit.) Anyway, point being that even abilities that seem unexciting on paper can lead to cool and different game experiences.

Voi Chien is a ranged unit, it shouldn't have been affected by Genghis's ability

Voi Chien is a ranged unit, it shouldn't have been affected by Genghis's ability

I just meant that it wasn't particularly effective at stopping his cavalry charges. But at that point I was able to faith-buy pikemen en masse anyway, so it didn't matter.

It is incredibly, incredibly powerful but I don't like the extra movement from Surprise wars for Persia. Because it creates this weird gameplay effect where you just want to declare wars on very distant civs just to benefit from the extra movement. I'm not a fan of designs like that. Sure, you don't have to do it but the benefit of doing it is just too great.

I also don't like the relic stuff from the Khmer. It sounds like an interesting twist on paper but in reality I often find it just results in having religious units flying around enemy lands to commit suicide. It's just... no.

Enuma Anu Enlil, the ability of Babylon, it is weird to say it because I know people like it a lot but for me it is my least favourite of ability. This is because rushing so hard through the techtree that you have field cannons in the classical era is not really the thing for me. It just makes the game so easy and more boring then something like "radio oranje" or "grand embassy" even if the yields they give is barely anything.

Lautaro's Swift Hawk

Has anyone ever used it to flip a city to loyalty. Contrast with OP Elanor.

1. Holy Roman Emperor is probably tops for me, just because I don't want to conquer city states...

...unlesss you're playing Barb mode. Or Dramatic Ages perhaps?
Germany is a great civ for Barb mode for sure.

The Grand Embassy is terrible, but it needs to be to (somewhat) balance out the rest of Russia’s goods. It says something that even with how bad it is they are a no-brained top-tier civ.

Radio Oranje, on the other hand, could be buffed pretty significantly and still not make the Netherlands overpowered - they are good enough as is, but not so strong that they need something to hold them back.

I will agree that probably the Grand Embassy is the second worst for me because it only activates if you are behind in science or culture. Which with Russia's other bonuses it seems non-existent especially culture if you know you are going to be building Theater Squares. :)

At least with Radio Oranje you know you are going to get either culture or loyalty from a trade route no matter what.

Top Bottom