Led Zeppelin and LOTR Relationship

When I was a teenager, I loved Led Zeppelin. :cool:

That was back when I still had hair. :rolleyes: :cry:

Now, onto the crux of the matter: Robert Plant was an avid fan of the Lord of the rings and for many in the English-speaking world in the 1960s and 70s, the LOTR became enmeshed in the peace movements and hippy movements. (Odd that, given that LOTR is an extraordinarily violent story.) Plant was also into Norse mythology and runes, etc., (another fad at the time) and this was the inspiration for the Immigrant Song. Stairway to Heaven also used some pre-Christian mythological symbology from Norse culture (May Queen, Forest filled with laughter, looking to the West, etc.).

These interests for Plant pretty much played out by Zoso (IV), and from Houses of the Holy on Page and Jones' blues interests began to eclipse the earlier stuff.

Indeed, I have often observed the link between Middle Earth and Led Zeppelin. The songs listed on the site (all of which I have, downloaded free:D:D) do make direct Tolkien references, which can be attributed to the interest in the occult of the band, and the LOTR's exposure in popular culture of the late 60s and early 70s.

Frodo Lives!

Ah, tis among my favourite music, especially the pleasing riffs and melodies of "Over the Hills and Far Away"

Another influence upon the band, one that has not yet been documented in fact, is oneself.
Several songs contain references to my dark presence, none more so than "Ramble On", and I quote:

"T'was in the darkest depths of Mordor
I met a girl so fair,
But Gollum, and THE EVIL ONE crept up
And slipped away with her.
"

:cool: An obvious reference to me, as you will all no doubt agree, and it can be seen that oneself and Mr. Gollum took this woman away from Page and Plant in order to further promote the cause of evil monkish celibacy. Not that it had an impact of the Zeppelin boys, however...:lol: , but I would like to think at least one kid out there was inspired to "Just Say No to Sex";) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Led Zeppelin has no business making music about LOTR. Its to Blues heavy. Nothin wrong with blues but when you have music like that it doesn't fit in with the fine Anglo atmosphere of the LOTR books, while a book about voodoo in the deep south would go perfect with a murky, swamp-blues sound. That just rules! Though Immigrant Song rules as well and does come damn close!

Top Bottom