Architecture and Coastline North Otago NZ

Zardnaar

Deity
So Zard went on a train trip today back to his home town of Oamaru.

My province back in Victorian times had a gold rush. It was briefly the richest part of the country and the South Island was known as the mainland.

My city Dunedin built some impressive architecture and my home town borrowed and built. Good times dodnt last My hometown stagnated, debt wasn't paid until the 1960s and then went into decay into the 1980s.

End result no cash for urban renewal so the buildings were not torn down. They're restoring them and tourism has been a driver for local economy.

20231008_085509.jpg

Dunedin train station extreme close up. Basalt and limestone. The limestone was quarried in Oamaru iirc. The contrast between the basalt and limestone looks great imho and I'm a barbarian.

20231008_173708.jpg

Purakaunui. To the left of camera is an old Maori PA (fort) site. My te reo isn't the best but Purakanui translates roughly as stacked wood. The PA was sacked in the 18th century and 250 bodies were stacked up outside. Local Maori legend has it as a night assault during winter with snow on the ground and the sentries were lax.

Another couple of Pa are further up the coast and fell in similar time frame.

20231008_173237.jpg

Overlooking an estuary. Hill terrain the train loops inland a bit and crosses the river a kilometer or two inland. Looking north you can just see a headland top right

20231008_104242.jpg

Crossing the river near estuary. Apologies for the reflection. Few kilometers further along the line looking roughly west exact direction not exactly clear.

20231008_162251.jpg

State highway 1 looking South. That small headland is visible in the second photo. Young Zard used to swim a bit further north very close to our summer campsite and school/scout campsites in the 1980s.

More coming really tired. 5 hours on a train hung over with less than 5 hours sleep. Worth it. Every 10-20 kilometers there's a small town or river between Dunedin and Oamaru. Bit different by train.

Some interesting architecture coming up.

Last edited:
Whenever I see pictures of New Zealand I always get disappointed it doesn't look even more like Lord of the Rings. I want my Rohirrim and Eldar!

Whenever I see pictures of New Zealand I always get disappointed it doesn't look even more like Lord of the Rings. I want my Rohirrim and Eldar!

This part can look a bit like England in certain parts.

20231008_122126.jpg

Arrival. Walked from train station to the ma8n street/intersecti9n.

Looking roughly south war memorial and some Whitestone (limedtone) building.

Oamaru is fairly unique with said buildings and wide main street with parks in the middle of the road.

20231008_122328.jpg

One of the limestone buildings. The quarry is still operational located around 10km away.

Local opera house still used as such in 90s also used as a movie theatre. Recently had restoration work.

20231008_122645.jpg

The museum. It was closed on a Sunday. We used to get school trips here in the 80s. Far left the old power board building is visible. Source of VHS and Atari in the 80s.

Last edited:
20231008_123941.jpg

Local art gallery from 1984 onwards. @Kyriakos thoughts on thise columns;)

20231008_123919.jpg

Former post office currently local council. Former stables or coach post to the left now a restaurant. Has a clocktower.

20231008_124020.jpg

Church on the left, garden on right. Could hear those church bells a long way away up the hill.

No hunting for clams ?
I have to say Jealous of you living close or near the coast line, and having access to essentially free seafood, fishing, crabing, claming etc

No hunting for clams ?
I have to say Jealous of you living close or near the coast line, and having access to essentially free seafood, fishing, crabing, claming etc

Can do that I hate seafood espicially shellfish. Bit of blue cod occasionally.

I remember my mother eating crayfish while I ate a sandwich. Also school trip Maori friend ate shellfish raw straight off the rocks.

Corinthian columns>other columns.
I took a Classical History course in college back in the '90s. One day the instructor explained the different types of columns: Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian. He also told us to be careful not to do what one of his students did on an essay exam in a class the previous year:

The student misheard the names of the columns, so he wrote an essay about the Corinthian, Ionic, and Dork columns.

20231008_124252.jpg

So what do you do when you have old Victorian limestone buildings? Declear yourself the steampunk capital of the world. As you do.

$2 coin nakes the train make noise and flames. I think the steampunk museum is located inside.

20231008_124428.jpg

They built a main street back in the day with wool sheds etc for exports. NZs first frozen meat epirts departed nearby in 1881 iirc. UKs farm meat and wool.

20231008_133527.jpg

Looking towards harbor street. That triangular building on the corner us an old bar restored as a Victo bar. Sawdust on the floor, ales, Victorian decor.

20231008_132225.jpg
Lots of cafes and shops, tourist type gimmicks. Coffee was pretty darn good. Farmers market nearby. Old cobblestones as a kid this was just run down ex industrial type area.

20231008_125701.jpg

Cheese roll from said market. Southland Sushi. Toastedrolled up bread slice, cheese blend in the middle herb and garlic butter.

20231008_133419.jpg

Train for tourists. Goes down to the harbor and penguin colony. The colony was established early 90s last 20 odd years they have restored the area. I left 23 years ago population has increased from 12k to close to 14k. Craft brewery and children's playground added along with free BBQ to use.
20231015_132257.jpg

Returning home the Dunedin foreshore. One of our favorite spots to go to beach, dine out and take friends and families kids.

Several cafes, restaurants, bars, surfing, salt water swimming pool, playgrounds.
20231015_132448.jpg

Small walking track around am old quarry. 5 minutes walk from the beach/cafes.

20231015_133136.jpg

Down the track looking the other way. Short half hour walk from car down here and back.

20231015_133214.jpg

End of track. Ocean meeting volcanic rock. Think it's basalt not 100% sure. Alot of the hills are old lava flows from 20-30 million years ago. Long swim to French Polynesia or Chile.

Last edited:
It's very likely basalt.

That cheese/garlic bread looks delicious!

Yes, please. :)

Pt 1

Pt 2

Pt 3

My hometown is around 24:25 mark pt 1
or just after. Old pillow lava.

Poor mans garlic bread ?
Oh its actually a mix of milk, onion and cheese so more like a cheese toast

Top Bottom