Resource icon

LeeS' Buildings Are Fun 2017-04-30

It would appear to be a mod-loading-order compatibility issue with Real Building Updates but even so I haven't been able to create a CTD as yet.

Are you seeing the CTD on the first turn or at some mid-point of playing a game.
the first time an AI takes turn in a game, be it fresh game or a loaded one...
well, not exactly instantly, so I'm guessing it's either one of the civs in the game, or returning control back to human player.

I also have no idea how to change load order. It even seems random. For example if I copy australia's trait to macedon, sometimes it starts the game just fine (aka loads australia dlc before macedon), and sometimes it returns me to main menu (reverse order, aka nonexisting trait error in log)

It could be some wierd interaction with one of the DLC packs but I don't see how, really, given the code in the mod never looks to whose city is being affected, just that the player did an action within one of its cities, or created a city. The lua methods being used do not care about nor look to whether a player is a civ from the original list, or a modded one added by a mod, or a DLC one added by Firaxis. They just get the game-session-specific player # from the list within the current game as supplied to the lua code from the game-core, and execute the code for the given player # and city ID #.

Even with the issue between this mod and Real Building Upgrades I cannot cause a CTD as you are describing. In fact I've never had a CTD during the development or testing of the mod and its systems.

It could be some wierd interaction with one of the DLC packs but I don't see how, really, given the code in the mod never looks to whose city is being affected, just that the player did an action within one of its cities, or created a city. The lua methods being used do not care about nor look to whether a player is a civ from the original list, or a modded one added by a mod, or a DLC one added by Firaxis. They just get the game-session-specific player # from the list within the current game as supplied to the lua code from the game-core, and execute the code for the given player # and city ID #.

Even with the issue between this mod and Real Building Upgrades I cannot cause a CTD as you are describing. In fact I've never had a CTD during the development or testing of the mod and its systems.

I can't find anything wrong. I've tried disabling all my mods to see if there's a conflict, but it crashed all the same. I'm gonna take a guess and say that it doesn't agree with some of the changes I made in game's xmls, probably related to city settling as it crashes on the first AI turn. maybe AI must settle a city, but cannot, because of new requirements? I don't know, I'm pants at even looking through lua scripts

Last edited:
If the game is crashing without any mods enabled then no mod can be causing the crash. Has to be something else, like as you say some change made to the base game's files. This is also the very reason why we as mod-makers never really advocate for people to alter their base game files unless absolutely necessary. You should be able to restore the game's xml files to their original condition by doing

1. ensure steam is "online"
  2. got to your library
  3. right-click on Sid Meier's Civilization VI in your list of games. This should bring up a pop-up menu
  4. click on Properties
  5. click on Local Files tab
  6. There should be a clickable button called VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES.
    • This should be the function that will inspect your game files and replace with the originals any that have been altered.
    • I am not sure if this will also re-write any changes you have made to the AppOptions.txt or other "options" files the game uses to store any changes you make to options such as graphic quality settings, map-scroll settings, and the like.

----------------------------------------------

Attempting to re-create your issue did show some issues of compatibility between this mod and Real Building Upgrades and Quo's Combined Tweaks mod. None of these are causing CTD or other perceptible error issues other than the fact that if Buildings Are Fun loads into the game before Real Building Upgrades, then Infixo's mod is dead for that play-through of the game, essentially.

If the game is crashing without any mods enabled then no mod can be causing the crash. Has to be something else, like as you say some change made to the base game's files. This is also the very reason why we as mod-makers never really advocate for people to alter their base game files unless absolutely necessary. You should be able to restore the game's xml files to their original condition by doing

1. ensure steam is "online"
  2. got to your library
  3. right-click on Sid Meier's Civilization VI in your list of games. This should bring up a pop-up menu
  4. click on Properties
  5. click on Local Files tab
  6. There should be a clickable button called VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES.
    • This should be the function that will inspect your game files and replace with the originals any that have been altered.
    • I am not sure if this will also re-write any changes you have made to the AppOptions.txt or other "options" files the game uses to store any changes you make to options such as graphic quality settings, map-scroll settings, and the like.

----------------------------------------------

Attempting to re-create your issue did show some issues of compatibility between this mod and Real Building Upgrades and Quo's Combined Tweaks mod. None of these are causing CTD or other perceptible error issues other than the fact that if Buildings Are Fun loads into the game before Real Building Upgrades, then Infixo's mod is dead for that play-through of the game, essentially.
I do keep the original file copies in a separate folder, sometimes a few versions of changes even. I'm just too lazy to put changes in a proper mod to work separately, when I'm changing my own game and not planning to release it as a mod.

Keeping backups of the original or known-to-work versions of the original file(s) is the even better way, of course. Suprising though how many people don't.
Sometimes we forget. Also, trying to figure out what is incompatible is a chore anyway - I'd have to backup my modified files again, restore vanilla ones, then overwrite them one by one, each time restarting game, loading a map and taking a turn to see if it still works.. and if I finally find what file, I'll have to compare what's changed in it... grr.
If only the logs documented SOMETHING. they act like there's absolutely nothing wrong, as if the game hasn't crashed at all..

Well, it seems it didn't like a single change - me adding the possibility to build FARM improvement on desert and tundra.

But it still doesn't quite work. I can't get your national wonders to show up. Instead, I have broken leftovers of Wondrous Wonders (which is weird, since I disabled and afterwards deleted WW from mods folder) like LOC_MAGIL_NATIONAL_EPIC_NAME and others. Gotta try deleting cache, see if it works....:(

EDIT: it does not. Still got faulty national wonders..
also from database.log:

[618541.245] [Gameplay] ERROR: table Buildings has no column named IsDummy
[618541.299] [Gameplay]: In Query - insert into Buildings('BuildingType', 'Name', 'Description', 'PrereqDistrict', 'Cost', 'PrereqTech', 'IsDummy') values (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?);
[618541.301] [Gameplay]: In XMLSerializer while updating table Buildings from file DummyResourceUnlockerBuildings.xml.
[618541.333] [Gameplay] ERROR: table Buildings has no column named IsDummy
[618541.336] [Gameplay]: In Query - insert or replace into Buildings('BuildingType', 'Name', 'Description', 'PrereqDistrict', 'Cost', 'PrereqTech', 'IsDummy') values (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?);
[618541.338] [Gameplay]: In XMLSerializer while updating table Buildings from file ForestryService.xml.
[618541.354] [Gameplay] ERROR: no such table: DummyUnlocker_CityLocalResources
[618541.369] [Gameplay] ERROR: no such table: Building_UnitProductionModifierDummyBuildings
[618541.383] [Gameplay] ERROR: no such column: IsDummy
[618541.412] [Gameplay] ERROR: no such table: Building_PreReqBuildingANDS

which means that for some reason, parts of the mod do not work - like the sql querry that should've added the column in the first place.

Last edited:
It's a mod conflict issue.

Apparently loading order of actions within a mod are not necessarily preserved if any other mod uses <LoadOrder> or <Priority> or <Criteria> setttings.

And also apparently the load order of mods bug when reloading a save also has not been adressed.

Although I don't remember seeing any issues with Magil's Wondrous Wonders or Wonders Only Wondrous Wonders. There was an issue but it was not apparent because it only affected a portion of the mod's code you normally would not see or look for, and a portion that was provided as a mod-maker tool but not actually used in the mod.

[edit]And I'm trying to work out a stable fix that does not involve assigning <LoadOrder> values because this esstentially looks like it will defeat the purpose of allowing other mods to use the same system.[/edit]

[edit-edit]The mod file-loading issues seem to be related to whether or not any other mod also has an SQL file. I had not noticed it before but with the full Wondrous Wonders mod I get this error in the Database.log
Code:
[634500.891][Gameplay] ERROR: no such column: IsDummy
[634500.897] [Gameplay] ERROR: no such table: Building_PreReqBuildingANDS
Which means that files SQL/Building_PreReqBuildingANDS.sql and SQL/BuildingsTableAlter.sql are loading out of the assigned order when Magil's mod is enabled. I do not get these errors when Magil's mod is not enabled.

Last edited:
I really hope you figure out the UI aspect eventually, as Production Queue is the most important thing for me to use, but I had to remove this mod because it made the PQ just be an empty and open box which I couldn't even close. But besides the incompatibilities, this is a pretty neat mod, and I really like the buildings because of their name, historical existence and the fact that some are from Civ 5 (also because I like having things to research)

1. Is it possible to add a kind of district or build that one player can build one sample of it in each continent? Or limit its amount no more than a certain ratio of the amount of the total cities?
2. Is there a reference which introduces the variable of the districts, buildings, improvements and units?

1. Is it possible to add a kind of district or build that one player can build one sample of it in each continent? Or limit its amount no more than a certain ratio of the amount of the total cities?
2. Is there a reference which introduces the variable of the districts, buildings, improvements and units?
re #1 it might be possible for a building but districts are not limitable in this manner. Even for a building it would be a bit of a think-through to construct the needed logic and to determine the most effective way to undertake the processing as it is needed.

re #2 I don't understand what you are asking

It loooks quite interesting and I'm looking for a mod that adds extra buildings to the game.

Any experience with using the mod along with CQUI (you mention problems with UI mods but have found no reference to CQUI specifically)?

\Skodkim

CQUI has Production Qeue built-in, which from what I hear conflicts with this mod.
A shame! Ah well, thanks for the answer anyway. Maybe this conflict will be resolved at some point and I'll come back.

\Skodkim

The summer patch broke the code I was using to hide dummy buildings and otherwise de-kludge the city production panel from showing 8 bajillion buildngs you could not produce at the moment.

I have fixes worked out but I am holding off at least for a few days on an update because some people are experiencing certain things that the Summer Patch broke in the base game and this may mean a hotfix will be coming soon to cure the ills introduced into even un-modded games by this most recent patch.

Are you still working on this? If so, do you plan to make it compatible with Rise & Fall (if it isn't already)?

Also, would you be interested in incorporating the extra resources from Resourceful/Sukritact's Resources/Civitas Resources Expanded into your mod? Not as dependencies, rather as support available if the mod(s) in question are present?

Top Bottom