Let Me Explain Something About Firaxis!

How do you feel about Firaxis' business?

• I *LOVE* it! They can do no wrong!

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I was a bit perterbed, but I love the game.

Votes: 37 50.0%
  • Firaxis makes me sick. I'll buy the expansion, but I'll hold my nose.

Votes: 14 18.9%
  • I'll NEVER do business with them again... EVER!

Votes: 4 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Civ3Lover

Chieftain
Firaxis is a fairly new company. People don't usually start companies with ONLY their own money. They need investors, loans, etc.

I've seen some threads complaining about the apparent greed of Firaxis. Granted this only: They released an incomplete product loaded with bugs at first. They were a bit slow to fix them, but they have a game that's VASTLY superior in complexity and intrigue than the first two.

I bought Civilization in 1991, along with L'Empereur from Chips & Bits.

I bought Civilization II in 1995.

I bought Civilization II Gold edition in 1998
I bought an ADDITIONAL Civilization II Gold edition in 1998 for two reasons:

a.) To show my support for Microprose & Sid Meier for making such an AWESOME game

b.) To give as a present to a good friend.

I bought Civilization III : Collector's edition the DAY it came out to show my support for Sid Meier and his new company.

It costs a LOT of money to pay programmers, buy equipment, market, and even DISTRIBUTE your product. We NEED to support these companies if they continue to make products we know and LOVE. Firaxis is a brand new company, and honestly, I fully believe their one of the FEW who actually LISTENS to its customers. The re-playability of the Civilization games is absolutely LEGENDARY! They truly have made an awesome product in my never to be humble opinion. :)

I personally will get the expansion pack (Lord willing I'm still alive) the DAY it goes up for sale, and I'll probably play the daylights out of it. What many of you folks perceive as greed, and low-life business practice is likely WAY out of context. They needed to make money to make the product better, and to sell more of their future products. ANY time you're developing and manufacturing a game of ANY piece of software, the company developing that software is LOSING money. Often times, even when they have investors!

The biggest blow for me when I bought this game was not being able to set my own starting positions in scenarios I'd make. I thought that was reprehensible. The only reason I'm "forgiving" Firaxis this time is because they're a BRAND NEW company. If they do this with CIVIV, I'll be outraged, and probably won't play it until they make an expansion pack. I have a feeling that CivIII is going to shoot through the stratosphere, and I hope it does.

It's not just my loyalty to Sid Meier that gives me the overwhelming compulsion to say something, but my love for this game. If they start producing trashy games, I'll walk away without saying goodbye, but Civ3 IS an adancement, and there's some wonderful breakthroughs in it. I hope, and believe that they'll give us much more with future releases.

That's my never-to-be-humble $0.02. Thanks for reading.

Daniel:king:

I think "loyalty" to any company for any reason is idiotic.

By the way SMAC was released in what, 1999? Firaxis isn't that new, and by that I mean they already had one successful title under their belts when Civ3 was released.

AND, it's "Sid Meier" not "Sid Meir." You'd better learn how to spell the name of your patron saint correctly.

Originally posted by Kilroy
I think "loyalty" to any company for any reason is idiotic.

By the way SMAC was released in what, 1999? Firaxis isn't that new, and by that I mean they already had one successful title under their belts when Civ3 was released.

AND, it's "Sid Meier" not "Sid Meir." You'd better learn how to spell the name of your patron saint correctly.

First of all, I do not give a DAMN what you think is idiotic. Loyalty was earned, and it's given. I like CIV3 a lot more now than I did when it first came out. It takes a hell of a lot to get my seal of approval, and only Panzer General and Civ have it.

I've NEVER played Alpha Centauri. It looked boring to me, quite frankly. I don't know. But right now, I'm loving every moment CIV3 right now, so it's what I LIKE right now.

And what FROSTED me you [CENSORED BY AUTHOR BECAUSE OF EXCESSIVE HEINOUSNESS], is that you're unbelievable hostility towards someone who holds a different opinion than you.

You sound pretty intelligent with your writ, but you've got a chip on your shoulder that's gigantic. My first impression of you [CENSORED BY AUTHOR FOR EXCESSIVE HEINOUS NATURE]

:king: - I think this states my feelings better. I'm a bit embarrassed about how fired up I got.

Originally posted by Civ3Lover

First of all, I do not give a DAMN what you think is idiotic. Loyalty was earned, and it's given. I like CIV3 a lot more now than I did when it first came out. It takes a hell of a lot to get my seal of approval, and only Panzer General and Civ have it.

How was loyalty earned, exactly? You haven't played Alpha Centauri, Firaxis' only outstanding title prior to Civ3. And surely you know that Sid Meier participated very little in the actual production of the game itself (though lately he is running around acting as though he did). So you can't be basing your unquestioning loyalty on the company, and you can't be basing it upon the past successes of Sid Meier himself, seeing how he wasn't involved with the development process. So what is it that caused you to run out and buy Civ3 the first day it came out?

I would suggest that it is the name "Sid Meier." You bought Civ3 because on the box, toward the top, it says "Sid Meier."

I've NEVER played Alpha Centauri. It looked boring to me, quite frankly. I don't know. But right now, I'm loving every moment CIV3 right now, so it's what I LIKE right now.

And what FROSTED me you worthless pile of scum, is that you're unbelievable hostility towards someone who holds a different opinion than you.

Hey, I never call you idiotic. I don't even think that - you're just a little misguided when it comes to placing your loyalties and "seals of approval." And, I think that when one goes around mindlessly attaching themselves to corporations, their logos, and their products, they're asking for it. This isn't something specific to you either, our whole culture is this way - hell I do it and I'm the one *****ing about it.

You sound pretty intelligent with your writ, but you've got a chip on your shoulder that's gigantic. My first impression of you is that you're absolute filth. Take some ritalin punk! :finger:

And the relentless ad hominem attacks did not, I'm afraid, do TRIPLE DAMAGE.

both of you need to grow up and stop making personal attacks on a public forum.

Originally posted by Immortal

Thanks for the input Chief. Though, I never really meant to attack him personally, he just took it that way. Not my fault if he's a little on edge for whatever reason.

Originally posted by Immortal

Just bear in mind I wasn't the one who fired the first shot. I have Kilroy on my ignore file, so I won't be seeing what he writes from now on. I didn't get his response from what I said last, so...

It's over for me.

I apologize to everyone else.

<salutes>

oh look a fanboy and a anti-civ3 boy doing a little quatter......
stop it!im only 14 but you look like kids that are 8 years old!

Originally posted by Civ3Lover

Just bear in mind I wasn't the one who fired the first shot. I have Kilroy on my ignore file, so I won't be seeing what he writes from now on. I didn't get his response from what I said last, so...

It's over for me.

I apologize to everyone else.

<salutes>

I think the guy was a bit more intelligent than I gave him credit for. I wish he'd had explained himself a little more thoroughly earlier. I apologize for what I said, but I felt like I was being publicly bashed for a statement that I perceived as being more constructive than harmful.

Remember that I gave Firaxis criticism as well. To me, companies are only as good as their last game. CIV3 has impressed me, but I sure wish it had some of those features I loved in Gold Edition.

We'll see how the XP goes. I'm buying it the day it comes out. If I hate it I'll never do biz with firaxis again.

Hence my "schizophrenia"... If I love you, I'm loyal to you... If you step on my toes, I kick you in the groin and shoot you in the head. I usually never EVER throw the first punch, but I'm notorious for throwing the last one. If Firaxis ever ticks me off enough to set me off, I'd probably be motivated to try and start my own gaming company to compete with 'em. <LOL>

Perhaps that's an exaggeration...

I was a bit quick to judge Kilroy, though, and for that I apologize. (My only defense is that I was in a bad car accident, and my pain meds haven't kicked in. A Semi hit a lexus SUV, which plowed into my minivan. I have whiplash injuries, as well as stomach muscle injuries... It's ouch city here.)

I'm a bit embarrassed at my post at this point... :o

may I suggest you edit the content of your post and remove the fellow from your ignore list? a Handshake never hurt either.

both of you need to grow up and stop making personal attacks on a public forum

But if you can't attack someone on a forum, where can you attack them? I mean, differances of opinion never hurt anyone. As long as the replies don't get reduced to name-calling and do contain ideas, points, and counter-points going back and forth, I don't think it's that wrong for people to have a heated discussion.

As far as FIRAXIS goes, they are a company, and like any other company, exist to make money. They aren't in the business of pleasing customers, although that helps to make money. I just thought I would remind people about that. The idea of releasing the Multi-player in the expansion is brilliant because that guarantees just about everyone who bought it will buy the expansion so they can play with their friends. And the people who didn't buy it because they couldn't play with their friends will now as well.

Originally posted by EmperorSnefix
But if you can't attack someone on a forum, where can you attack them? I mean, differances of opinion never hurt anyone. As long as the replies don't get reduced to name-calling and do contain ideas, points, and counter-points going back and forth, I don't think it's that wrong for people to have a heated discussion.

This thread never was about heated discussion, it degenerated into name-calling rather quickly. Of course its all been edited out now, so you probably won't see it.

Hmmmm I'd still like to see the 'scum' comment removed but I guess that's asking too much.

It really does amaze (and sadden) me how quick some people are to sound off wildly at each other. One thing you can be sure off is that anyone who makes an emotional pro/anti statement is highly unlikely to back down. It's far better to either ignore those statements or at least try to counter with logical reasoning.

Ultimately though I would urge people to remember that there are no prizes for winning arguements (here especially). And there's even less reason for getting into any sort of flaming activity - that loses any support you might have had from more rational members here.

And please remember - its only a game! If you don't like Civ3 - GET OVER IT! Commision your cd to the reject pile and move on with your life.

Life's too short to waste time debating over a $50 purchase (whether that represents a day's or an hour's pay to you).

Peace brothers :)

The entire concept of the poll is skewed because most every Civ 2 fan who hated Civ 3 left these forums long ago.

Originally posted by Zouave
The entire concept of the poll is skewed because most every Civ 2 fan who hated Civ 3 left these forums long ago.

You're absolutely right zouave! HAHAHA..:lol:

I didn't think of that. :o

well now the thread is back on topic children :rolleyes:

civ3 is NOT an advancement (exept in the sexxy graphics department) civ3lover, exept if u compare it to civ2 rather than alpha centuri (the last game made by firaxis)

and u say u support firaxis so much and u didnt go out and buy Alpha Centuri? (it is rather good, for gameplay reasons ... and would be worth the cost if u could find it around)

but Gonadacles made an excellent post in this thread
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=283403&t=3096#post283403

i beleive it is an excellent discription of the philosoies (SP) when making the respetive games

civ3 is a war game (with a few other elements) and AC is a diplomatic game (with a few other elements)

and Exile_Ian ... why should we "get over with it"?? civ3 has such huge potential yet is just short, would u rather the only people to be around is everyone saying how great and perfect civ3 is? and if everyone said how perfect the game is then why would firaxis even put out a patch, or even a XP?

and btw ... loyalty to a corparate company is VERY bad because ... they get lazy and end up giving u a trashy game that u buy anyway, rather than making them work hard for there money (and they DO get lazy ... less effort with same sales = huge profit)

Originally posted by Zouave

Yes, and both those people will be sorely missed...:D

I think "loyalty" to any company for any reason is idiotic. . .

:lol: :lol:

And Sid had nothing to do with the game other than selling the rights to his now sullied name.

As for loyalty to a company, it is indeed idiotic for the employees of that company. Ask the suckers who were loyal to Enron. It is doubly absurd for the consumers.

Thanks for the input Chief. Though, I never really meant to attack him personally, he just took it that way. Not my fault if he's a little on edge for whatever reason.

I'm a bit on the sensitive side, and anyone can read that what you posted was a personal attack. However, I overdid it with my reaction. I think you're probably just a blunt person who has little room for diplomacy. Your thoughts have merit, though.

I need to take it easier... In my defense I'll only say I had a close personal tragedy I don't care to discuss here. Normally my skin's at least a bit thicker.

Hope you all are having fun.

Top Bottom