Let's talk about CivNet

stwils

Emperor
I just bought CivNet and the manual from an auction. New.

I am playing single player for now. But there are a lot of music, graphic, interaction things that are more advanced here than in Civ1 - even though it is Civ1.

The manual is very much like Civ2's (same team wrote it, I think.) And there is much more music as you play. The graphics seem easier and more sophisticated. You use the mouse to click the "end of turn" rather than punching enter.

Someday I hope to play this online with a friend or someone.

But for now I am using it as a single player game. What do you all think about it as compared to the original Civ1??? If you have CivNet and Civ1, which would you rather play for single player??

I see it came out several years later than Civ1, in fact, only a year earlier than Civ2.

stwils

Doesn't anyone want to talk about CivNet?

And could someone tell me if I need a patch to play?

I really like it. More complete music.

I think if Civ2 had not come out immediately after its release, it would have been more compelling.

But I have a buddy who wants to play it online with me. So patch?

Does anyone here have any experience with CivNet and would you be willing to share a bit of knowledge?

stwils

If you plan on playing CivNet online I would strongly recommend downloading the patch. The patch should update the software to version 1.0.2

My brothers and I have recently rekindled an old rivalry with CivNet and have been play online with each other. (Usually 3 to 6 players) There are a few lock ups here and there, but I suppose that is to be expected now and then with older software. It is still a blast to play. Just remember to SAVE every so often. Also, the more players the greater the risk for someone to lock up.

Have Fun :)

My friend also bought CivNet at an auction. Only hers was not new. The CD was scratched.

She can play single play just fine. But when we try to connect over the internet (we both have cable) she gets an error message and her program is shut down.

So we can't play each other. I am so disappointed.

What is going on? What can we do? Would a scratched CD cause this problem?

stwils

The gameplayis identical to civ1, except you can't use the settler cheat, or the savegame cheat (the one where you get another move by loading a saved game)

it works fine for me, but I haven't tried it in multiplayer for anything other than hot seat, for which it works just fine.

the AI still cheats outrageously. I was playing a game with my son and daughter, then my son decided to bug out for a few centuries. when he came back, his trireme was out in the middle of the ocean someplace. it sank immediately

Thanks, Father Beast.

I love the interface of CivNet. And with CivNet I got a huge manual. I am pleased about that.

My friend has bought another CivNet package from Ebay. I hope this time it will work. Her other CD came scratched.

Would a scratch on the CD make errors occur in the internet multiplayer?

We really want to play over the internet. Just wondering why it didn't work.

stwils

Top Bottom