1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk performance

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Sic, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Roller123

Roller123 Prince

Game runs great and my PC is from 2010. Then again i'm not running it at highest settings so i suggest OP to do the same and stop trying to imagine his 4yo PC is still top of the line.

2. Bad_Viceroy

Bad_Viceroy Chieftain

I have a slight issue at the end of the game with long AI turn times and occasional drops into unresponsiveness. I have had quick combat/movement turned on from beginning and was running the game on medium settings which was fine until the very end of the tech tree (perhaps AD 1980). Turning the performance and memory down to low solves the end game issues but I miss the graphics quality and Gorgo's animation (there I said it).

Any ideas about how to sort this? Will buying more RAM (I have 8GB now) or OC'ing my Core 2 Quad Q6600 up to 3.6 (OC'd to 3.2 now) help?

GPU is Nvidia 750 Ti.

Any thoughts welcome

3. Sascha77

Sascha77 Prince

I'm guessing that your CPU is the bottleneck here, and OCing probably won't make much of a difference. :(

As much as I hate the "buy a new PC"-standard answer myself, in this case, getting a new CPU (and consequently at least new RAM and a new MoBo) is probably the only way to go ...

S.

4. Bad_Viceroy

Bad_Viceroy Chieftain

Yeah, I feared that might be the case. I'll see how long I can handle switching to low near the end and then take the plunge... Maximus Hero, Skylake and GTX 1080 beckon sooner rather than later I think. As does Gorgo's shapely form. Thanks!

5. callan

callan Warlord

Viceroy: You can try to extend your overclock but that setting is approaching the hard limit under air cooling and may not be stable. If your issue is thread binding caused by insufficient total throughput you may gain a significant improvement or at the least an end to the locking up, it's hard to say in borderline cases such as this.

Bad_Viceroy likes this.
  6. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

You don't need a maximus hero unless you have the money to burn and want the rgb lighting.

The ASUS Z170-A is top quality high end board that is skylake compatible and is much cheaper. If you are on a gtx 1080 put the money saved towards a 1440p 144hz monitor assuming you are still 1080p

Bad_Viceroy likes this.
  7. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

If strategic view is operating at snappier pace, is this a good enough indicator that a GPU upgrade would make a difference in normal view ?

8. dexters

I could be many things. Sometimes it's one of the graphics settings that is slowing you down.

Shadows are usually the culprit so I'd turn it down first and see if performance improves.

What is your pc like?

9. Bad_Viceroy

Bad_Viceroy Chieftain

Thanks, will consider giving it a go.

10. Bad_Viceroy

Bad_Viceroy Chieftain

Thanks, will check out the other board, only just upgraded the screen to 1080p so that will have to stay for a bit

11. dexters

OK. you don't need a gtx 1080 at 1080p. Get a gtx 1060 6gb and if your monitor supports high fps 120hz and you want to run multiple 1080p monitors at max settings gtx 1070 might make sense.

Gtx 1080 is for 4k 60fps or 1440p 144hz gaming.

A 1060 though will run Civ6 at everything max 60 or 120fps with no dips at 1080p single monitor. The nvidia 10 series are amazing

For CPU get an i7 6700 . Not a popular opinion for gaming but I believe the hyperthreading will matter in 4x games and real world use you may hbe anti virus and other processed running while you gaming.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    Bad_Viceroy likes this.
  12. npburg

npburg Chieftain

I have an GTX 760 with a 1440p ultrawide monitor. It gets 25 fps in Civ VI which sounds terrible for a first person shooter but this is a turn based strategy game and so it looks just as great as something running 60 fps.

Only time things are bad is the intro movie audio doesn't sync with the movie but I watched that on youtube before the game came out anyways and haven't seen it since. Otherwise the only thing to slow the game is CPU processing AIs turns or other stuff behind the scenes which the GPU doesn't handle.

13. rrrwww

rrrwww Chieftain

ive a semi crappy laptop, but turn wait times seem to have a direct relationship to number of players. moreso than map size

14. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Well, yeah. More players means more AI stuff to get through each turn.

15. SunkLo

SunkLo Chieftain

Hello !
    I have i7 6700k, gtx 1070, 16gb ram, Win10 and zero issues. Latest drivers and settings chosen by geforce experience. When i play in bed i use laptop with i3 2.3 ghz and gtx 860m. Both are running super smooth. Very happy with performance.

16. dexters

I don't see a lot of benches for the i5 6500 most are comparing i5 6600 and i7 6700 as the i5 6600 is essentially the 6700 without the HT modules.
    That said most 4th gen or later i5s don't have any major handicap vs. i7s. Civ6 might be different though if your getting FPS issues.

Is your CPU or GPU throttling?

17. Bad_Viceroy

Bad_Viceroy Chieftain

Hi - this is very good advice but I tend to upgrade infrequently (to put it mildly) so when I do I try to build in as much future proofing as I can (i.e. if I get a wastefully high-end GPU now, it will still be good when I get around to going 144hz (or less likely 4k), or may be better. I will certainly go 6700k so I can squeeze extra performance out of the chip in five-eight years time when Civ 8 is projecting holograms of leader animations on to the walls of our gaming rooms and it becomes REALLY important to see as much of Gorgo as possible. Thanks for your help, really appreciate it.

18. TheJokker

TheJokker Chieftain

Update you graphic drivers and use NVidia's recommendation for optimizing Civ 6. Obviously you are maxing out a setting that your GPU cannot handle. If you go with Nvidia's recommendations the game will still look great and your performance should improve considerably.

19. dexters

Right. this is why I recommend an i7 for you as I think it will be more relevant in the future. For graphics card a gtx 1080 is about $400 more than a 1060. And you won't see much of a difference in 1080p. You should be able to max out Civ 6 on the 1060. A 1060 will also run all the AAA games at max settings and 60 fps at 1080p

Graphics cards are relatively easy to upgrade. All you need is the right power supply. I suggest you get at least a 650 watt power supply with a gtx 1060 for your new pc. Then upgrade to a new card in 2-3 years. At that time pick their midcrange xx60 card to pay around $300 for a card more powerful than gtx 1080. Of if your ready to jump into 4k at that time, go ahead and splurge in the most powerful cards.

Your i7 or even an i5 is unlikely to bottleneck your gpu in the forsee able future

ALSO the 650watt power supply should be fine with all the cards like 1060 and 1080 that requires extra power from the power supply

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  20. Xur

Xur Prince

I'm on a 2600k OC'ed to 4.4 - same CPU as you. I got a 780ti though. The game runs better than civ5 to me, but it seems to require more Vram though, so maybe lower your settings? A gtx 670 is an almost 5-year-old consumer level card - you should be happy that it even runs the game lol.......