1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Let's talk performance

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Sic, Oct 21, 2016.

1. anandus

anandus Errorist

The only fps-issue I seem to have is that leader screens are capped at 30fps. I don't know if it's a setting or something else?
    Apart from that, my laptop runs fine with everything maxed out, around 90fps.
    So, what did you find out after running several benchmarks with different settings? ;)

2. Sic

Sic Chieftain

Yes, yes, more ad hominem without substance. How very interesting.

Can we get on with it, or do you insist on quibbling?

3. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Nothing about my argument was an ad hominem; calling you out for being wrong about statements r.e. graphics is not an attack on your person as supposed to the point you're making. It was directed at the point you were making i.e. the statement about the graphics.

Quibbling is as quibbling does, I'm afraid. You're not giving much in good faith, here, given your initial reply :p

What do you want to get on with? Your entire thread premise rests on the assumption that the game isn't optimised because it doesn't run well on your hardware. Deny this premise, and what do you want to discuss? Ways to improve performance? Lower settings, or buy new hardware. Or both. If you want to discuss theoretical tweaks to improve performance that doesn't involve lowering settings, assuming expertise on the subject, what "hacks" would you assume are a good fit here?

You tried setting CPU affinity? Priority? You tried increasing your page file? You tried installing anything to an SSD? And so on, and so forth. These are the basic tweaks that you can perform on any program that will generally benefit performance.

Figgis likes this.
  4. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Super Moderator

You are in the perfect position to do those tests, we have given you enough suggestions on (1) which will allows you to judge (2), (3) being useful only if (2) is positive.

so I'd suggest that you start working on them if you really want to lead this thread into something productive.

Figgis likes this.
  5. Ovarwa

Ovarwa Chieftain

Hi,

On the OP's system, yes.

FWIW, it is necessary to assume a specific system or set of systems before considering whether some application is limited by CPU or GPU.

Also, on any system likely to be used, the "spreadsheet calcs" are probably memory-bound: Traversing the map and the units and the civs and the who knows what else is likely to continually push data out of L3 cache, forcing DRAM access, which is much slower than the cpu. (And God forbid some of that memory gets swapped out to SSD, or worse, HDD.)

Some aspects of the game will not be GPU-bound: AI turns, map generation, game load, etc. The stuff that happens during a player turn? Mostly gfx.

Anyway,

Ken

6. Vladesch

Vladesch Warlord

Your performance seems to be much lower than your hardware suggests. I would take a stab in the dark that your graphics card is running low on memory and constantly reloading textures, so try disabling high resolution asset textures.

7. MeatThatTalks

MeatThatTalks Chieftain

7870 iceQ turbo. It's not an amazing card - it only barely meets the 'recommended' for Civ VI. But it outscores yours on gpuboss just by a pinch, and something in that pinch is making a big difference it sounds like.

8. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

Turn/load times are better from Civ 5, but are still absolute garbage late era on large maps with 8 civs remaining. i5-4690k

It's the same problem from V, AI HAS TO MOVE EVERY UNIT EVERY TURN. Constant pointless shuffling that eats computation time.

comatosedragon likes this.
  9. Hyronymus

Hyronymus Troop leader

Great link, you decided to compare computer systems: CPU + GPU comparison benchmarks are not what I meant, try comparing CPU's alone regardless of the GPU. Also, that article is over a year old and all GPU's ar paired with DDR3 it seems, which is an utterly unethical thing to do these days.

I ran the benchmark tool that comes with Civ6 and I am very content with the results of my i7-6700 CPU with GeForce GTX 970 with 4GB DDR5.

10. Selereth

Selereth Warlord

I'd like to see someone try to explain my situation here:

I'm running a core i5 6500 @3.2 Ghz, a Nvidia GTX 1070, and 16 GB of RAM. At max settings, while the camera is positioned over revealed terrain with a lot of detail onscreen, so that would be over my cities with lots of tile improvements, when the camera is zoomed out all the way the FPS drops down into the 40s and there is a very noticeable amount of stutter that occurs. If I zoom in a certain amount the stutter goes away and the FPS improves somewhat, usually going up into the mid 50s. Normally I play with Vsync turned on since there is a lot of screen tearing that occurs if I leave it off.

Now this is very situational; it only happens when my camera is positioned over revealed terrain and there are a lot of tile improvements. Just for testing purposes I lowered all the graphics settings and turned Vsync off and my FPS shot up to about 100 or so, while the stutter went away.

My computer shouldn't have any trouble running this game; this is a computer that can run Witcher 3 with Hairworks at max settings 60 FPS at 1080p, and neither my video card or my CPU are working at 100%.

So for anyone who says that their game runs fine with no hitches, try loading a save game, positioning the camera over revealed terrain with a lot of onscreen action (tile improvements seem to be what is bogging my system down), and let me know if the game stutters, if your FPS drops, whatever. If yes, then there's an issue with the game engine. If no, then I guess I'm just cursed.

Oh and make sure your camera is zoomed all the way out also.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  11. Menzies

Menzies Menzies

Ummm...

Works great for me, and my computer is getting on in years.

Processor: From 2011
    Ram: Cool, what kind
    Graphics Card: From 2012

...you've jumped straight into a game released in late 2016, with good, but not exceptionally PC from ~4-5 years ago, and you're surprised it's having issues?

Hang on... what? This game is miles ahead of Civ V graphically. The "cartoony" (vastly overstated) style is not to "shave off polygons", the game has far more detailed models of pretty much everything. The game is honestly the best looking strategy game I've played. Maybe you accidentally booted up Civ IV, would explain the cartoony complaints.

The game is optimised quite well from what I can tell. The frame rate is stable from early eras to late, and the turn times don't balloon too much.

...30 fps on vanilla GTA 5 isn't exactly impressive by the way.

One trick would be not trying to play a brand new game on max settings with a computer that shipped with documentation in cuneiform.

I think you overestimate your aging PC and should probably reduce the settings to a level it can handle. You even admit that it doesn't hit the recommended settings, yet just outright ignore that.

comatosedragon likes this.
  12. Menzies

Menzies Menzies

What you are basically describing is the most extreme case for the game.

13. TekJansen

TekJansen Chieftain

I have noticed performance issues, too. Even on minimal settings the game runs with approx. 15-20fps (small continent map).

My rig is not that bad...

Gigabyte GA-B150-HD3P
    Intel Core i5-6500
    AMD Radeon HD 5780 (weakest link)
    8GB DDR4-2133 DIMM
    Windows 7 64Bit

14. Menzies

Menzies Menzies

Yeah, it seems that the graphics card would be the issue there. Is there a story behind that particular build?

15. TekJansen

TekJansen Chieftain

The graphics card is kind of a leftover from my old setup. I recently upgraded the mainboard, processor and system memory. Other games run just fine, even The Witcher 3, whose official minimum requirements I do not even meet

16. Selereth

Selereth Warlord

So are you saying that what I'm experiencing is normal and that everyone else's game becomes stuttery with a lower FPS when the camera is zoomed all the way out and positioned over revealed terrain? Wouldn't THAT be considered a performance issue then?

17. Acken

Acken Deity

Its probably just the vsync. I personally dont use it.

18. Selereth

Selereth Warlord

Nope, tested without Vsync and the game still runs the way I described in my above post. Stuttery, lower FPS.

19. Acken

Acken Deity

I dont know then. At max zoom out I have no issue. Try to find if there is a particular setting that does this for you.

20. Selereth

Selereth Warlord

Also noticing some strange and sudden FPS drops when navigating through some of the menus; sometimes the FPS will drop to 30 for a few seconds then spring right back up... chalking this up to game engine issues.