Light version?

Is there any light version for weaker computers with less memory?
(playing a tiny map is of course known already)

are there any other options?

Rocks 2 Rockets is just that: a version of C2C designed to work on much less capable computers, especially with less memory.

R2R is based on a now pretty old version of C2C (v24, released around the 4th of July 2012) with an updated DLL, so it plays much like a slightly slimmed down v24 in terms of the content like units, buildings, and such. The DLL is, with the 3rd patch, more like version 28ish (it is about half way between v28 and v29 in terms of bug fixes and AI tweaks, but without many of the new features like the combat mod or the ability to gain traits as the game progresses).

On a computer with 2GB of memory you should probably be able to play at least a Standard size map, possibly larger, without having to use the viewport feature. It might be more of a problem if you have a graphics card that uses the regular memory instead of its own and it has been assigned a lot of it. If you have less than 2GB of memory then even R2R may not be playable on a Standard size map.

See the thread up at the top of this same forum (or follow the link below). Main download for v0 + patch v0.3 = hours of fun.

You can also use View Ports (if you don't know this already). If they are activated, you only see a small part of the map (it automatically switches when needed). It allows weaker PCs to play even Immense sized maps.

Thanks for your hints, but unfurtunately I am still in trouble here:

The game again becomes so slow that it is practically not playable any more

I have now tried a few things:
1.) rocks2rockets - using rocks2rockets instead of cavemen2cosmos (I have not tried c2c with the options 2 and 3)
it was working well at the start but it is getting extremely slow now in the ancient era on a small map
2.) viewports are on now. It does not seem to help fight the slowness. It just creates some graphics strange effects, which seems to be a known side effect of the viewports.
3.) tried the 3GB switch. Civ refuses to start with it
a.) adding /userva=2900 or other number did not help
b.) adding physical memory - had 2 gb physical memory plus 2 pagefile before, now have 3gb physical memory plus 2gb pagefile
the error message is http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=133003 (is there any solution in this thread, I spent some time reading it, but it is very long)
but I only get it with the 3gb switch on
I did not find a solution for this problem yet.

What different people consider to be unplayably slow varies considerably. There are people who play with turn times well over a minute. There are people who consider anything over 10 seconds unplayable.

Does regular BtS start to get slow in the modern era? If it is doing so in the Ancient era in R2R, then I would expect it to do so in BtS late in the game too.

It is possible that there is nothing you can do about the game getting slow other than upgrading to a faster computer (preferable using a 64-bit version of Windows). Even R2R has a lot of "stuff" in it and processing it all takes some CPU power so a faster CPU makes it take less time with a pretty much direct relationship (with single thread performance being vastly more important than number of cores), although it also may help a little if the memory you have is fast memory (there isn't very much you can do in this regard on a laptop - there are not a lot of options for faster memory there).

The 3GB switch is problematic. I had little luck with it myself. It depends on the details of your computer's configuration.

The ideal configuration for C2C is, of course, as fast a CPU as possible (single thread performance), a 64-bit version of Windows, more than 4GB of fast memory, and a reasonably recent video card (almost anything that is not considered "low end" will be fine, although I have no problems with a lowly GT 520 which is about down there with the slowest discrete video card you can buy these days but it has memory of its own on the card) with a GB of memory on it (or more, although that is probably not really necessary).

R2R is less demanding, but it is less compared to C2C rather than the "average" mod. I'm not sure, but R2R might be more demanding than Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn (one of the ancestors of C2C and therefore R2R). The farther you are below the ideal specification, the worse the performance will be. Even a fast CPU from 6 years ago (when they came out with Windows Vista, the era of the Core 2 type CPU from Intel, before the first Core i3/5/7 came out) may have problems with turn times.

turn times are much higher than your standards. 1 min for 1 turn is utopic.
Looking at my saves. Due to the slowness and the risk of a crash I usually save at the start of a turn and at the end of a turn.
It was 11 minutes for making my turn and 9 minutes for coming up after hitting end turn till after the processing of the city builds.
So in total 20 min for a turn.
What is really nasty is the long delay for a single unit to complete its move and for the view to finally focus on the next one.

I do not know currently how long standard bts turns take, I did not play civ4 for a longer period and now wanted to test new mods (like this one).

Is there maybe a savegame which I could just try for benchmarking?

But Rise of mankind AND was working pretty well back then, if I remember right. But it might have been with my previous computer (which was weaker), not sure, I have switched computer and Hds and installations...

My CivilizationIV.ini file was messed up - really heavily. So it was totally unrelated to this MOD

Now R2R is working very well even with the highest graphics settings and without viewports.

Thanks for all your support.

Top Bottom