Limestone-Stone

buck beach

Prince
I can't believe this hasn't been discussed before (or maybe it has and I just can't find it), but, what is with the rarity of this resource? I have played several games and this stuff is rarer than hen's teeth, making one wait until the discovery of coal and materials to build paved roads. Something doesn't seem right.

Don't even like the idea of going into "World Builder" and seeing the whole wide world, just to give myself access to what I thought was a fairly common resource.

Buuck

Limestone should not be extremely rare, but neither should most civs have 2 of it early on. Having 2 (and hence masonry materials) early on should be treated as a major strategic advantage. Most other civs should wait till Coal Mining indeed.

I did complain about the same thing some time ago, but then realized I had a tendency to overcrowd maps by adding more civs, which paradoxically makes some resources even more scarce (since there's less room for them once they're being placed).

These days I find one copy of limestone somewhat close by in about half of my games, give or take, which is already pretty awesome given how much it helps building some early wonders.

Maybe one game in ten is when I can build paved roads in the classical era. This sounds about what Walter just described, so it's not an issue, it's deliberate.

I did complain about the same thing some time ago, but then realized I had a tendency to overcrowd maps by adding more civs, which paradoxically makes some resources even more scarce (since there's less room for them once they're being placed).

These days I find one copy of limestone somewhat close by in about half of my games, give or take, which is already pretty awesome given how much it helps building some early wonders.

Maybe one game in ten is when I can build paved roads in the classical era. This sounds about what Walter just described, so it's not an issue, it's deliberate.
This is my experience with Copper.
I usually don't have it, or see it so far away that I'll research Iron, find it already within my borders, before I settle near copper.
The distance to capitol maintenance cost would be too high early in the game to justify expanding too far from my capitol.

Top Bottom