list of all current bugs in AC(X)

Not a bug but a very interesting occurance I've never encountered before: one of my bases was MC'd, to include several of my NL units. Didn't think anything of it at the time. Later on I overwhelmed the units in the general area of the MC'd base, to include the enemy NL units in the region. Lo and behold I get the Interlude pop-up about my special talent having been killed in combat, and how I grieved her death. So apparently one of the NL units which was MC'd was my first NL unit produced. It then switched sides due to a MC operation. I then killed it in my counterattack, and I lameneted its (and her) death (according to the game). Interesting!

D

Bug or feature? In the below screenie I am the Gaian green and am pacted with the maroon Empathi. I just launched an aerial assault against the light blue faction, and placed both my AC on top of the Empathi's (who I'm pacted with) aircraft carrier while attacking adjacent targets. Lo and behold both my aircraft are now refueled and ready for action the next turn.

Attachments

• Carrier bug.jpg
    Carrier bug.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 175
Bug or feature? In the below screenie I am the Gaian green and am pacted with the maroon Empathi. I just launched an aerial assault against the light blue faction, and placed both my AC on top of the Empathi's (who I'm pacted with) aircraft carrier while attacking adjacent targets. Lo and behold both my aircraft are now refueled and ready for action the next turn.
I would call it a feature, if it is your ally I do not see why you couldn't use his carrier. You can use their cities for refueling.

I don't remember when I worked on something with wood-screws for bases, but I'm pretty sure I did.

I'd sent you some ideas for replacements, and we've had some discussions, but we've never agreed on updating them. Did you generate some ideas/ upgrades for this? If so please send them to me so I can incorporate them!

You still need those logos fixed, don't you?

[Progenitor Mode] Empathi and Peace Keeper: yes. :b: [/Progenitor Mode]

D

I would call it a feature, if it is your ally I do not see why you couldn't use his carrier. You can use their cities for refueling.

I won't disagree with this statement from a realism perspective, however from a gameplay perspective I have to consider this a human exploit: essentially the AI will never utilize this feature adequately, whereas a human can exploit this hugely to their advantage (i.e. they can do exactly as I am doing and refuel their whole fleet very quickly for attack again the next turn). I'm gonna have to think about this one and whether I should be pulling the aircraft carrier down the Doc:AP.

D

I noticed that sometimes when there is an enemy unit outside a base, I can fly an aircraft unit into the base and it still has its remaining MP to attack the enemy unit. Next turn the aircraft is refueled and ready to go.

I don't consider this a bug. So I wouldn't assume your situation a bug.

A few words from scient on the status of Fixing SMACX Bugs:

scient said:
At the moment this project is on semi-hold until I've finished up work on another project for the classic isometric RPG Planescape: Torment (shameless plug). That said, I plan on looking into isolated problems like crashes and such. However, any major overhaul to game mechanics such as morale (ugh) will have to be after I've completed my work on PST.

While I will be checking this thread, if you prefer that scient sees your bug report unfiltered, you can post your bug report here

IMHO, SMAC-X needs a patch/mod to enable it to be played in later OS such as XP on larger maps. Some one kindly suggested how I could play SMAC-X by a short-cut but I have never been able, even with the XP compatibility and patch, to play a game of SMAC beyond some 300 or so turns. I do accept on the basis of one proferred explanation I heard that SMAC needs to be updated to be played with more powerful operating systems and more parameters each turn. Until that time I will content myself with Planetfall, which is getting better and better with each new version.

But still there are aspects of the old SMAC I sorely miss. :(

Live long and prosper.

Hello everybody. Can anyone tell me why my Alpha C game will not enable diplomatic or transcendence victory? It used to enable them but then started to just ignore them, first on one faction (Spartans) then on two or three and now, it seems, on all of them. Is there anything I can do to put this right?
Thank you.

Hello everybody. Can anyone tell me why my Alpha C game will not enable diplomatic or transcendence victory? It used to enable them but then started to just ignore them, first on one faction (Spartans) then on two or three and now, it seems, on all of them. Is there anything I can do to put this right?
Thank you.

can you post a save?

Doodlepush, welcome to CFC!

In addition to posting a save, could you tell us about the way you start a new game? Do you use quickstart or do you go through the start game procedure?

I assume you are using the original game ("Alpha Centauri") and not the expansion ("Alien Crossfire"). Could you tell us the version number?

Thanks for replying, fellas. I will try and post a save and get a version number (I am not on my own computer at the moment). I nearly always start the game from the Start menu and then go the Customize World choice. What I can't understand is that it used to work at first but now the problem has spread and it doesn't enable these victories at all now.
Thanks for any help or advice. I love the game but it's tedious to always have to Conquer and, of course, the points are less.

after you choose the world parameters the game asks you about the rules.
don't choose "Play with current rules". instead click "Customize Rules" and then check all victory conditions.

Doodlepush,

I have created a game save for you to test on your system (I have a Mac so if you have Windows, you will be able to open it and play it but you will not be able to save it).

Please do the following:

(1) Download the save and unzip it.

(2) Open SMAC and load the save.

(3) Open the commlink and summon the council.

(4) Go for diplomatic victory.

(5) If diplomatic victory works, reload the save.

(6) End the turn.

This will test whether you can get a diplomatic and transcendence victory off my save. We'd still like you to post one of your game saves, so we can check your rules.

If neither bdanv nor I can help you, I'm sure Petek will be able to fix your problem.

Attachments

• doodlepush, 2101.zip
    21.4 KB · Views: 111
Do you realise, Vyeh, how incredibly frustrating I find this thread. In five games I have never been able to go beyond some 300 odds turns with the original SMAC, even with the XP patch. I am now having to play the Civ IV: Planetfall mod. So how is it that everyone seems to be able to play SMAC but me? :(

Live long and prosper.

Do you realise, Vyeh, how incredibly frustrating I find this thread. In five games I have never been able to go beyond some 300 odds turns with the original SMAC, even with the XP patch. I am now having to play the Civ IV: Planetfall mod. So how is it that everyone seems to be able to play SMAC but me? :(

Live long and prosper.

@Cmcastl,

See this thread on CGN. We hope that scient will be able fix the error.

@vyeh and bdanv,

I think I know how to fix doodlepush's problem (just uninstall/reinstall), but was waiting to see if you could help

Petek

Many thanks for considering my problem, Petek, but I need a GLOBAL solution, not an ad hoc one, such as manipulating individual units at a certain term. That is, a patch/MOD for SMAC, or SMAC-X, to run problem-free with larger maps and later operating systems, such as XP. This may not be possible but I felt honour bound, with my original love of the game, to highlight my problems.

Live long and prosper.

Many thanks for considering my problem, Petek, but I need a GLOBAL solution, not an ad hoc one, such as manipulating individual units at a certain term. That is, a patch/MOD for SMAC, or SMAC-X, to run problem-free with larger maps and later operating systems, such as XP. This may not be possible but I felt honour bound, with my original love of the game, to highlight my problems.

Live long and prosper.

I have some friendly advice for you: Get over the idea that the game doesn't work on faster systems, newer OSs and/or larger maps. How do you explain all the multiplayer and singleplayer games that are played and discussed on all the SMACX forums? Most of these players have systems that are just as fast and new as yours. The only way possibly to solve your problem is to try to fix specific crashes. If you're not interested in doing so, just say so.

Petek

Top Bottom