list of all current bugs in AC(X)

Think that is a little unfair, Petek.

I did try to play five games and each time it froze on me. Five games through to 300 turns plus - a lot of time invested. I don't think there is anyone who can say they were more loyal to the original game than me - I have happier memories of playing that game that just about any other. It just won't work for me on XP. So, frankly, suggesting that moving X unit and not Y unit to avoid a crash seems no solution at all to me - what is obviously required, if possible, is to rejig the game to the more power OS and computers of today which, to be be fair to the original designers, they never envisaged. (Having said that, the original "Blade Runner" role game of 1998 has worked on all the operating systems I have ever used - I take my hat off to Westwood.)

Guess I shall just have to stick with Planetfall until I hear there has been that global solution.

Live long and prosper.

Thank you for your help, Vyeh, and your suggestions.
Am attaching a save from University faction (hopefully).
Thank you for your file, too.

Attachments

• Kommensenx of the University, 2332.SAV
    535.4 KB · Views: 129
It is as bdanv suspected. The only game rule you have checked is "No Unity Survey."

First, I can convert any existing game you are playing to include winning by diplomatic and transcend (without the cheating label applying in your scoring section -- and I can explain to bdanv in the private CMN forum how to do that) if you post the game here.

In the future, for your next game, follow this procedure:

(1) Start Game.

(2) Choose your map options.

(3) Pick a Difficulty Level.

(4) Under Game Rules, Play with Standard Rules or Customize Rules (and include transcend and diplomatic victory options).

(5) Choose faction.

(6) Enter your name.

Let me know if we can help you further.

Thank you, Vyeh.
Since reading your messages I have started each game by unchecking all the victory options in Customize Rules and then checking them again. This has worked so far, so thank you again for your help.

Bug: an amphibious probe team cannot move into an aquatic base of a pactmate: under these circumstances they should.

Bug: in accelerated start, the Morganites sometimes start out with a size 5 base, even though they don't possess a Hab Complex.

D

What I would like to see in 2010 is a fix so one can use the really big maps again in SMAC using the later versions of MS without it constantly freezing as you get into the game, if that is feasible. Then I would return to the game in a flash.

Live long and prosper.

scient recently made these comments:

scient said:
Hey all, I just wanted to pop by and let everyone know I haven't abandoned AC community. I had to take leave of absence for awhile for personal reasons (this included my work on PST) and have only come back recently. I do plan on updating my unofficial patch in coming months. Just as soon as I finish a few things I've already 90% done with in Planescape. I guess this thread is mainly to say hi and to let everyone know to keep reporting bugs because I'll definitely look at them. I'll try to be more active on here than I have been (yay like 2 posts!). Also, everyone should thank vyeh for keeping me up to date and encouraging me to get on here. :)

I have given up trying to play this game, much as I love it. :(

No one either apparently has this problem or will bother to address it on my behalf. With XP SMAC or SMAC-X will not, at least on a large map, play for me beyond some 300 turns without crashing!!! I can't believe I am the only one not having this problem? I believe this is a systemic problem not just one which needs a tweak.

If one can't find a forum that will support you with a game obviously it is time to give up the game and the forum. :(

Nevertheless, live long and prosper.

Systemic problems localized to you only.

CFC readers may be interested in the following progress report by scient.

scient said:
Sorry for taking awhile to post in here, I've been really busy. I haven't had chance to read boards in awhile. A few things.

First off, I've finished porting over all applicable fixes from SMAX exe to SMAC as well as testing them except two. I'm not able to fully test pole/intercept crashes in SMAC since I don't have saved games to reproduce problem. However, patched code for these particular fixes is solid and I did make sure it was behaving how I intended it to in SMAX. I still need to clean up readme and look into few other minor things like making tweaks to multiplayer pass system like I said I would. I'm aiming for release by end of week, for real this time. :D

Fans of scient may be interested in this announcement:

The Civilization Gaming Network appoints scient as moderator of the SMAC/X - General/Help/Strategy game forum (along with Nim) and of the CMN private forum (along with chuft, who has also been promoted to super moderator).

He has come a long way since his first post to the SMAC Community, the opening post of this thread.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a list of all the current bugs that exist in the game unresolved by the official patches? Alpha C is one of my fav classic games and I figured I'd see about working on an unofficial patch similar to project fixing engine bugs in Planescape: Torment.

Another question is should I be looking at Alpha C or Alien Crossfire? I've actually never played Crossfire so I'm not sure if it includes updates to the original game. Or are they separate games entirely? Or should I be looking at both?

If there isn't a list, could folks please post known or potential bugs here? Or links to topics that have any? I think there is one with aircraft interceptors? I'd just like to get an idea of how many problems I'm looking at to solve. :)

:D

Top Bottom