List of runaways!

crawf0rd

The One and Only
I wanted to make a list of the civs that have the highest chance of running away, 1-5, and then compile your thoughts into one grand list. Feel free to include more than 5 in your list!

My 5:
1. Siam
2. India
3. America
4. Greece
5. Persia

Siam, Greece, Iroquois, Ottoman, Spain...

Worst is Siam though...

I feel like a noobie now but running away how? Seen this word being used alot lately but dont know what it means in CiV terms...

I feel like a noobie now but running away how? Seen this word being used alot lately but dont know what it means in CiV terms...

Runaway into the lead! I think! Many cities, strong military, science etc. It took me a while to get used to the lingo on the forums. Still not entirely there yet.

Thanks! Sorry for ruining the thread with questions. It is kind of a weird type of lingo on these forums from time to time... And in case of list I only got one:

1. Persia (just way to good UA)

I think it has something to do with when that Civ reaches a point of having built prefered buildings and the next thing on that civs list is settlers.... a lot of new cities gets built, giving a huge boost to that civ after awhile.

In Civ, power (however you measure that) tends to grow exponentially. The more you have, the faster you grow. Sometimes a civ can grow so much more powerful than the other civs in the game, it becomes very difficult to catch up. Since they are already ahead, the gap will continue to grow larger and faster. Repeat until runaway victory.

I find Siam to be the worst, followed by Greece, and then France.

For me, it is always the Iroquois - sometimes Songhai or Arabia. I have never seen Siam do well, they are always small and inconsequential in my games.

I see Siam is a very common civ to runaway, Persia and Greece too. Glad to see thats not just me!

This is an interesting topic. I wish there was a way to do it empirically. Like run a thousand pangea maps with the same settings and find which civ comes out on top the most. :p

My own frequent runaways:

1. Rome
2. Greece
3. The Iroquois
4. Arabia

Siam usually, but I did have a really freak runaway on Emperor Continents once. Greece won around turn 200 with a diplo win. About the time I was pushing out a caravel after dominating the continent I was on. I was totally caught off guard on that.

This is an interesting topic. I wish there was a way to do it empirically. Like run a thousand pangea maps with the same settings and find which civ comes out on top the most. :p

My own frequent runaways:

1. Rome
2. Greece
3. The Iroquois
4. Arabia
There is a way to autoplay... Maybe some scripting or something would allow that to happen.

So Siam seems to be the worst, followed by Greece, then the Iroquois, then Arabia and Persia. Then a bunch of other civs.
Edit: Sorry for the double post!

1. Persia
2. Iroquios

Those are the only ones that I have noticed being a recurring problem. In the right conditions any civ can become a runaway.

Here's the most common runaways I've seen from the computer:

1. Ramkamhaeng (Man is he a cock!) Those Culture city states just let him tear through the policy trees. And the Maritime city states boost his cities to amazing sizes, which in turned is used to use trading posts instead of food, work more production tiles, and generate more research.

2. Napoleon - Because of his UA, he gets very handsy with the surrounding land. He knocks out liberty pretty fast and has a sprawling empire to show for it. Those Musketeers are so strong too, and he doesn't even need any resources for them. You can rest assured you'll see them every game.

3. Alexander - The two UU's early on lets him invade quickly, and follow up the whole game taking away all the city states. While he's not quite as good at taking them as Ramalamadingdong, if Siam gets hobbled early on, Alex will run away with the game.

4. Catherine - She is always the runner up in game runaways. With a massive empire from those kreposts and plenty of strategic resources, she is able to churn out gargantuan armies that sweep the world under a blanket of yellow.

5. Darius - Those golden ages are just killer. He generates unbelievable amounts of gold with that UA. And what's worse is that he just sits on it like a dragon on a pile of treasure. If he spent it with even some semblance of strategy, he would easily make my #1.

Surprisingly, Mongolia didn't make this list. In the hands of a human, its easy for those keshiks to conquer/raze the world, but in the hands of the AI, they are one of my top 5 civs who consistently never gets off the ground.

1. Siam
2. Greece
3. Egypt
4. Persia
5. Ottomans

Surprised so few people mentioned Egypt. That wonder whoring son of a god gives me so much trouble every time we meet. Builds tons of wonders, loves expansion and is not adverse to using war to do it, has even more happiness than a regular AI, meaning even more expansion, and loves (and I mean really, really loves) to deceive. It wouldn't be so bad, the same could be said for just about any AI, but he just pisses me off as well. He's so arrogant, and hypocritical.

"That war you declared 3000 years ago is starting to attract attention, that's not a good thing. Just ask Washington, Khan, Catherine, Wu, and Bismarck, they know. Oh wait, you can't!"

1. Siam
2. Greece
3. Egypt
4. Persia
5. Ottomans

Surprised so few people mentioned Egypt. That wonder whoring son of a god gives me so much trouble every time we meet. Builds tons of wonders, loves expansion and is not adverse to using war to do it, has even more happiness than a regular AI, meaning even more expansion, and loves (and I mean really, really loves) to deceive. It wouldn't be so bad, the same could be said for just about any AI, but he just pisses me off as well. He's so arrogant, and hypocritical.

"That war you declared 3000 years ago is starting to attract attention, that's not a good thing. Just ask Washington, Khan, Catherine, Wu, and Bismarck, they know. Oh wait, you can't!"

I've never had him runaway with the game. He always visits you every 5 turns to tell you just how much he hates you though. Seriously, the guy ASKS you to invade him. He builds all these pretty wonders, then tells you he can hear your people complaining, you didn't expand your boarders. The dude's just asking for it.

Greece than Rome

Everyone else is inferior. Those two are so versatile that even the computer can do swell with them. In the distant past I've lost to Iroquois and Siam some, but more recently at high levels they don't cut it against my personal play style.

I developed over the years a style of not trying to be in first or even second, I don't mind sitting in third and letting others fight the major wars, biding my time and what have you. If I had to pick a 5th, I might go Korea. They can get ahead in tech, but I can usually catch up once I have universities and public schools.

1) Greece
2) Rome
3) Siam
4) Iroquois
5) Korea

Of those 5 the only two I consider best (favourite) for my play style are Rome and Greece. I started playing Rome because they defeated/eclipsed Greece in the real world. They are very Iron dependent so I prefer to play as Greece, it is a solid top 5 Civ IMHO.

Top Bottom