List of runaways!

PERSIA. My goodness does Darius tend to take off in my games.

Suleiman too. As much as I hate him I've had him as a primary opponent more often than not.

Russia, Siam, and Korea some as well.

I hardly have a problem with Alex running away. He's still an ass, but he's usually either behind or slightly above me in score at around the halfway point of the game.

different civ's runaway in different era's. Darius usually runs away early but if Arabia or Mongol is close to him and DONT GET KILLED, they will snowball by taking over darius kingdom.

If alex doesn't have a few expanders and city states nearby, he just doesn't snowball out. at least in my games.

Sometimes i wonder if "snowball civ's" are the design intent, and the snowballers are the ONLY ones playing "right".

Map types have a lot to do with this, on Pangaea maps, Alex almost always rolls over nearby neighbors and snowballs early even though he almost always (like darius) falls to germany, mongol or arabia once they get their UU's - alex is unlikely to snowball if he doesn't have neighbors.

I have looked at a lot of my games, and it seems as though different circumstances (starting resources, proximity of neighbors, era of neighbors at their best etc.) contribute. So if your early snowballer is giving you a headache, your best answer is to think about which AI can best hold them back or hit them hard. If your lucky, a war will mean more than 3 obselete units followed by 20 turns of non-combat. Then you can send in and hit them BOTH.

Russia and Iroquois for me, though since i bought the DLC recently I've noticed Babylon always seems to be having a very good game.

What I've seen:

1. Russia
2. Persia
3. Siam

All in the same game. Granted I killed off Siam midgame since I out teched him and he declared war on me for having a small military.

Persia was south and we share the continent together. Russia has like 50 cities and the only survivor is England on that side of the world. I still won the game through a science victory but there was no way in hell I could of stood up to her in a war. I had the 2nd most powerful military at 500k and hers was double that.

What I've seen:

1. Russia
2. Persia
3. Siam

All in the same game. Granted I killed off Siam midgame since I out teched him and he declared war on me for having a small military.

Persia was south and we share the continent together. Russia has like 50 cities and the only survivor is England on that side of the world. I still won the game through a science victory but there was no way in hell I could of stood up to her in a war. I had the 2nd most powerful military at 500k and hers was double that.

Stealth Bombers

Which civ runs away the most in your games? For me, it would have to be Siam. It always seems like he has a giant nation over on the other continent and has conquered a civ over there.

Back in the day, it was usually European civs like Rome or France. Now its more of Incans, Korea, China...

Oh, and I absolutely hate having to start on the same continent as Siam. Absolutely.

Persia and Siam. One time I found a huge continent that they both spawned on. They had some pretty awesome wars going on between them, I kept a few scouts there just to watch.

I've had England just decimate an entire continent. Naval? Hah. Land war, from a coastal city. They pushed inland and just kept going, rolling over civilization after civilization. By the time I ended the game, they were into the far future era while most everyone else was still industrial (which was why I stopped, because there was no way I was going to best them).

I should note I play on average with 10 to 15 civs, and about 5-7 civ states, starting. So, for them to do this was kind of intimidating. If I had had nukes, I would have felt like taking them, but ... yeah. They won. Long live the queen ~_o

Stealth Bombers

ok, I give up, its all just a sekrit government cover up that there's no real way to deal with runaway AIs ever.

No real way man!

The Iroquois.
Greece.
Russia.

At least for me. The Civ I least like to spawn next to is Germany. I love spawning next to Egypt. Saves me the trouble of building wonders. I usually wait until he's built the Forbidden Palace for me then take hime out.

Seriously, is there any problem that 6ish stealth bombers doesn't solve? I've pretty much figured out that that only units I need in the late game are bombers (that I will use ans upgrade to stealth if a stealth dies...), stealth bombers (any reason not to promote aoong the siege line?), paratroops, and destroyers if I need to cross an ocean. I don't even bother with fighters, SAMs, or artillery any more.

-Sinc

There is a way to autoplay... Maybe some scripting or something would allow that to happen.

You might want to look into Fire Tuner, a component of the Civ5 SDK. Under the Game tab in Fire Tuner there's an option to have any or all civs in a game autoplay 1-300 turns. The SDK is available from Steam. Before you use Fire Tuner you have to enable it in config.ini.

Fire Tuner is easy to use and it's configurable. You can add or edit a button to autoplay as many turns as you want.

Top Bottom